Author Topic: beginner making progress  (Read 2302 times)

Offline reynolds5520

beginner making progress
« on: March 11, 2012, 10:30:40 PM »
I have been doing a lot of reading since I joined here and continue to test recipes and methods.  Some good results, some not so good, but I eat them all.

Not sure if California Style is the right place, maybe I should be in Thick Style.  I am working toward a thick crust with a light crumb.  Crisp enough on the bottom to lift easily, and lightly browned on the edge.  Somewhat chewy, but not so much that your mouth gets a workout.

Toppings are California Style all the way.  Shrimp, Broccoli, ham, sweet onion, sweet pepper, pineapple, mushrooms, pepperoni, and four cheeses.

Tonight I went back to a dough recipe that has worked for me in the past.  The last try was terrible, I think bitter cold outside made my kitchen too cold and the proofing was poor.  This time I proofed in a warm oven and also allowed the yeast more time to activate in warm water before mixing.  Two rises in the oven to doubled, then refrigerated for 24 hours, then allowed to rise again on the peel after stretching.  Par-baked for about 5 minutes then topped and baked.

I got the result I was looking for and even improved on past good results - this time there was minimal uncooked dough in the top center.

The recipe I originally started with called for about a 2:1 blend of all purpose flour and cake flour.  I am now using 2:1 Gold Medal Better for Bread flour and Pillsbury Softasilk cake flour.
67% water
2.3% salt
2.2% sugar
1% Active dry yeast

Mixing is with the dough mode on my bread machine.

So, now for a question.  Is the Antimo Caputo 00 Pizzeria Flour a better choice for use in this style?

Pictures of my most recent pizza here: http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2764550840104382422ZYKmtK

Bad white balance in the pics, but you get the idea.  The album in the link has some earlier pizzas too.

Edit:  I see now how to attach pics here.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 10:35:56 PM by reynolds5520 »

Offline TXCraig1

Re: beginner making progress
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 11:26:33 PM »
So, now for a question.  Is the Antimo Caputo 00 Pizzeria Flour a better choice for use in this style?

Great looking pie, Kevin. If it was me, I'd use AP flour for that style of pie.

Craig
Pizza is not bread.

pizzapan