Author Topic: Great pizza dough using your food processor!!!  (Read 9557 times)

Offline MadeinItaly

Great pizza dough using your food processor!!!
« on: August 05, 2008, 02:21:19 PM »
I got my paws on the book The Best Bread Ever by Charles Van Over and I just love the quick technique he came up with for making dough.  No proofing of the yeast. Cold water instead of warm. And... this is the best... mixing the dough in a food processor for 45 seconds.  Dough rise in a cool place. 
Basic Pizza Dough is on page 95, and you will need a Cuisinart or KitchenAid.  Love the simplicity of it and the taste is superb.  The pizza crust is equal part chewy and crusty.  It is more crusty than the recipe I have been using so far, but it is fun to alternate between the traditional Neapolitan pizza I am so fond of.  Perfect  for schiacciata and focaccia.  Great for Sicilian style pizza, I think.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Great pizza dough using your food processor!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 02:56:26 PM »
M.I.I.

You may want to check out this thread on food processor pizza dough based on the Van Over method. I've had the book for many years and have tried just about every recipe in it. I think the method for baguettes is excellent and, although I have tweaked it quite a bit, it still forms the basis for every baguette I make. I'll bet I've made a thousand loaves over the years using my food processor.

On the other hand, I think the book is pretty much a "one-trick pony". It takes a great technique for making baguettes and tries to extend it into an entire book with a bunch of other recipes that are not very good, IMO.

Bill/SFNM

Offline MadeinItaly

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 05:58:08 PM »
Bill,

Yes, I agree with you it is the best baguette method and I think the pizza is very good as well!  The book is a must-have for serious bread and pizza makers, but unfortunately it is hard to find.

I may ask for permission to reprint the original pizza dough and baguette recipe on my website, for those who are not able to find a copy of the book...

Offline BenLee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 03:39:15 PM »
I haven't used my dough hook in 2 years.  The food processor allows me to make it much faster and better.  I've gotten insane windowpane from using it.

Offline Imaginate

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 07:41:55 PM »
I make all my pizza dough in my food processor.  Works very well.  It was a major reason I bought the thing.

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 08:03:56 PM »
Just checked Amazon and the book is available from $23-198. 

Put your basic pizza ingredients in a Cuisinart, run 45 seconds, chill overnight and you are ready.

Buy the book if you want or check it out of the library, call number

641.815   V217.

Yes it is a one-trick pony. But it is quite a trick.  Van Over's recipes aren't what is special. The process is.

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 01:48:09 AM »
I am really surprised to see this.  I have not ever tried making dough with the food proc.  I will have to give this a try.  I have to say that between the 2 of these things they sure do take up a lot of room on the counter!!!

Can I just do a regular old like 100%,60-62% water, .35% IDY, 2.25% Salt.  45 seconds in the food processor?  How much dough can I safely use without worrying about burning out the motor.  We've got the larger CuisinARt (Custom 14 cup).
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 01:53:22 AM by pcampbell »
Patrick

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 07:00:35 AM »
Patrick,

I have a Cuisinart food processor like yours (14-cup capacity) and I don't see any reason why you can't use it to make the dough you described. However, there are a few things that you may want to keep in mind, as discussed, for example, in this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2189.msg19289.html#msg19289. See also Bill/SFNM's food processor method at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,6322.msg54238.html#msg54238.

Peter

pizzapan