Author Topic: Ok, sauce tastes good but it is too thin.  (Read 2893 times)

Offline TarHeelPizza

Ok, sauce tastes good but it is too thin.
« on: August 07, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
I like the flavor of my sauce but it is too thin and leaves too much liquid in the center of my pizza.

My sauce consists pretty much of a can of whole tomatoes (crushed) ,undrained, along with garlic and other spices for a NY style pizza.  I don't heat the sauce but I put it in the frig a couple of days before using.

I drained the sauce I had made previously and tried it on a second pizza.  Much better.

My question....

If it is better not to reduce the pizza sauce with heat, how should I thicken it to retain the best flavor?

Drain the whole tomatoes?
Add tomato paste?

All suggestions are welcome.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
Re: Ok, sauce tastes good but it is too thin.
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 09:59:37 PM »
Tarheel,

I use a boat motor (hand held mixer) occasionally, to puree the tomatoes just a bit to get a thicker consistency. I also add a little of freshly grate Pecorino Romano, which results in a thicker sauce, too. 
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline TarHeelPizza

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 11:05:59 PM »
Tarheel,

I use a boat motor (hand held mixer) occasionally, to puree the tomatoes just a bit to get a thicker consistency. I also add a little of freshly grate Pecorino Romano, which results in a thicker sauce, too. 

I've tried to avoid electric mixers because I've read that mixers crush the tomato seeds and create more bitterness.  Am I being overly cautious?

Would Parmisan, which is more commonly available, work as well as Pecorino Romano?

Should I drain the whole tomatoes before crushing?

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 11:42:47 PM »
Tarheel,

I used to deseed the tomatoes before I crushed them, but there's a recent study out which I don't have the link to, but perhaps someone else does, that seeds actually help develop the flavor of the sauce.

If you can, use freshly grated Parmesan, such as Locatelli's Parmigiano-Reggiano or Auricchio's Parmigiano Reggiano. But don't use the Kraft stuff.

As for me, I don't drain the tomatoes.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline FirePie

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 11:43:13 PM »
Here is my own method for prepping canned plum tomatoes:

1.) Choose two 28-35 oz. cans of whole peeled plum tomatoes (Rienzi is the brand I use) and drain in a colander over a bowl to catch the juice.

2.) Once all the juice has been strained off, set aside the bowl. Using a pairing knife, remove core of tomatoes and drain off the watery liquid inside. This part of the tomato has very little flavor and is responsible for most sauces being too thin. (If you're planning on making Ragu Napoletana, be sure to reserve these juices since it will simmer slowly for hours and keep the ragu from getting too thick before it is ready to be served.)

3.) Using your hands, begin tearing the drained tomatoes into strips, leaving the strips inside the colander.

4.) Sprinkle a bit of salt over the tomatoes (use sparingly, please) :) Allow to sit for one hour. This will pull excess moisture out from the tomatoes and make them easier to break up. It will also season them ahead of time and eliminate the need to add more salt to the sauce.

5.) Crush tomatoes using clean hands or a potato masher. Add approximately one-fourth of the reserved juice to the crushed tomatoes. (Note: using a potato masher will result in a smoother mixture. From my own experience, this brings out more of the tomatoes' natural sweetness.) :D

There you have it.. I hope this proves successful. :chef: Buon appetito!!

Offline FirePie

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 11:52:03 PM »
A couple of things I forgot to mention in my previous post.. once the tomatoes have been prepped, add enough of the reserved juice to suit you liking. I never use the entire amount, so I use the leftovers for another dish or for making a Bloody Mary. I've also used an immersion blender, or boat-motor, with satisfying results. Using either a masher or a boat-motor is best for crushing the tomatoes, since crushing them by hand takes time to achieve the desired texture for slathering on top of pizza dough, IMO. 

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 12:00:56 AM »
Here is my own method for prepping canned plum tomatoes:

1.) Choose two 28-35 oz. cans of whole peeled plum tomatoes (Rienzi is the brand I use) and drain in a colander over a bowl to catch the juice.

2.) Once all the juice has been strained off, set aside the bowl. Using a pairing knife, remove core of tomatoes and drain off the watery liquid inside. This part of the tomato has very little flavor and is responsible for most sauces being too thin. (If you're planning on making Ragu Napoletana, be sure to reserve these juices since it will simmer slowly for hours and keep the ragu from getting too thick before it is ready to be served.)

3.) Using your hands, begin tearing the drained tomatoes into strips, leaving the strips inside the colander.

4.) Sprinkle a bit of salt over the tomatoes (use sparingly, please) :) Allow to sit for one hour. This will pull excess moisture out from the tomatoes and make them easier to break up. It will also season them ahead of time and eliminate the need to add more salt to the sauce.

5.) Crush tomatoes using clean hands or a potato masher. Add approximately one-fourth of the reserved juice to the crushed tomatoes. (Note: using a potato masher will result in a smoother mixture. From my own experience, this brings out more of the tomatoes' natural sweetness.) :D

There you have it.. I hope this proves successful. :chef: Buon appetito!!

Firepie,

Thank you for posting this. That's pretty much the regimen I follow but failed to go into detail with.

Mike

Offline TarHeelPizza

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2008, 08:01:37 AM »
Thanks guys,
Sounds like good recommendations.  I'll follow your suggestions on my next batch of sauce.  Up until about a year ago, I always simmered my sauce to reduce in addition to adding a little tomato paste.  However, I think cold blending helps the sauce retain more flavor.