Author Topic: Great Plains Sauce & Dough, Ames, IA  (Read 2327 times)

Offline bhize

Great Plains Sauce & Dough, Ames, IA
« on: December 21, 2004, 12:12:05 PM »
Hi all,

If you ever happen to be in central Iowa, you have to go to Great Plains Sauce and Dough Company in downtown Ames.  I have to say I really haven't had any pizza quite like this anywhere.  They have 6 different types of crust: thin white, thin potato, thin whole wheat, thick white, thick whole wheat and thick oat.  I have never tried the thin crust, because I always get the thick whole wheat crust!

The thick crusts have a thick, bread-like rolled edge.  When you get down to this part, most people put honey on it.

The sauce is thick, flavorful and slightly sweet.  The sausage they use is just awesome!  But the big thing is all of the cheese.  They use tons of cheese!!  Their pizzas are very filling, and you always leaved stuffed!

The store itself is pretty small.  The tables have plastic covered burlap bags on the table to give it kind if a rustic feel.  It is usually pretty busy and you have to seat yourself, so you normally end up sitting at a table that the people just left which still has all of their dishes on it.  The tables will usually get washed off in just a few minutes.

Sometimes it is a little slow, but it is definitely worth the wait!! :)

Here is a link to their website:
http://www.greatplainspizza.com/main.html

Offline Botch

• Lifetime Member
Re: Great Plains Sauce & Dough, Ames, IA
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 03:25:32 PM »
Wow, a blast from the past!  I loved this place when I was attending ISU, thirty-three years ago!!  I see the OP wrote this in 2004, and their link still works so I assume they're still in business.  Dipping the crust in honey for dessert was cool (and you could only eat a couple slices at a time).   :chef:
I cook with wine.  Sometimes I even add it to the food.  - W. C. Fields

pizzapan