Author Topic: Best Bread Ever - Charles Van Over  (Read 7324 times)

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
Best Bread Ever - Charles Van Over
« on: August 10, 2008, 10:56:41 PM »
As I look at my bookshelf with 20 cookbooks, there is one more important than all the others.
It is Best Bread Ever. Once you have learned to use the food processor for pizza dough and bread dough, you will never believe you could have lived without it.  It is not the recipes but learning you can run the processor for 45 seconds, and have dough ready to be refrigerated and retarded for later that day or tomorrow.  For someone like me, who uses autolyse for dry doughs American or crispy style, this is a revelation. I still use a mixer for wetter doughs, but this book is a must.

If you have been frightened by those who say a food processor is a lot of work to clean, my DLC-7 has all 4 parts in the dishwasher right now, including the metal blade. It took about 30 seconds of pre-rinse with hot water.

If you combine Van Over's techniques with the information on encyclopizza and pizzamaking.com you will have great pizza.

Dishwasher is done. I have to take 15 seconds and reassemble the food processor. Be careful of the metal blade. The book ran $27.50 but it is is many libraries and could be on your shelf.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0767900324/?tag=pizzamaking-20

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Best Bread Ever - Charles Van Over
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2008, 11:11:36 PM »
elsegundo,

Check out this thread which goes into some detail on pizza dough based on Van Over's book.

Bill/SFNM

Offline elsegundo

• Shakey's not stirrred
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 07:46:16 PM »
My library carries the book with call number:

V217

Offline gabaghool

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 08:07:04 PM »
He's from Madison Ct....he was gonna open an artisan bread baking factory...I got hired as a apprentice.....I saw his bread being manufactured next to other well know french bakers.....and I gotta admit.....his bread was the best.  Big proponent of vertical cutters.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 02:23:12 PM »
 since i use it daily for my pizza dough. i am excited to hear you say that!! i have used it for over 20 years.

pizzapan