Author Topic: My new favorite dough so far... using my food processor  (Read 7360 times)

Offline snowdog

Re: My new favorite dough so far... using my food processor
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2008, 09:53:03 AM »
Peter - re: "learn as much as you can about their ingredients"   

Would I be the only forum member crazy enough to start thinking about looking around inside their dumpster when they are closed for old ingredient containers ???  :-D  :-[
glenn

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2008, 10:01:06 AM »
Peter - re: "learn as much as you can about their ingredients"   

Would I be the only forum member crazy enough to start thinking about looking around inside their dumpster when they are closed for old ingredient containers ???  :-D  :-[

Glenn,

I am sure that you would not be the first member to do so. I have read that there are some jurisdictions where dumpster diving may not be legal but I have never researched the issue. There are also people who watch for delivery trucks to see what products are delivered to stores.

Peter

Offline snowdog

« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2008, 10:11:53 AM »
dumpster diving... hmmmm...  :-\  tempting....
glenn

Offline snowdog

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2008, 08:58:21 AM »
I got to try... John Fazzari's recipe last night... pics below... liked it... thought it would be very close to the one I posted in this thread... but was not as close as I had though, though good  :)

Am going to stick with my Tom Lehmann Chicago Thin Crust Glenn's/Adapation to Cracker-crust :pizza: and keep working on it in small tweaks...  :chef:   

glenn

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2008, 09:42:55 AM »
Glenn,

Did you use the multi-layer approach?

Peter

Offline snowdog

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2008, 10:15:00 AM »
I did... but what I didn't do that could have made a big difference was I used the dough after five hour rise at room temp, not refrigerating the dough for 30 hours... as the recipe called for... I was hungry & ready to eat one...   ::)    think this had a big effect?  All still all new to me...
glenn

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2008, 11:58:54 AM »
Glenn,

I think the longer fermented dough should produce the better results. However, that doesn't necessarily translate into liking the pizza better.

Peter

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2008, 03:48:36 PM »
Glenn, just a couple observations
A laminated cracker crust can not be left out to rise...it must be refrigerated immediately.  I can tell how my refrigeration is working simply by watching how these pizzas cook...if my refrigeration is starting to fail, my skins start to get a bit puffy, and the texture changes immensely.  You can make a perfectly good pizza taking the skin from refrigeration, dressing and baking...but a 30minute to 60 minute temper is even better.  I can't think the pizza you made was very good...I'm not criticising you...just the fact it probably had no flavor ( from lack of fermentation time), and the texture had to be very poor, since you let the skin rise before cooking.  This is not a simple skin to make, but when done correctly...it can be a real treat! 

John

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2008, 07:49:00 PM »
Glenn and John,

I completed the pizza using the dough that I started a couple of days ago but decided that for good order sake I would post the results at the thread where John's original dough formulation was first posted. I posted my results with the latest dough starting at Reply 13 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5642.msg61130.html#msg61130.

The photo below is representative of the results I achieved.

Peter

Offline snowdog

« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2008, 09:07:25 AM »
Thanks John... will give it a try again... and allow 30 hours...  :-[
glenn

Offline snowdog

« Reply #50 on: August 22, 2008, 09:56:30 AM »
Here the latest on my ... Tom Lehmann Chicago Thin Crust Adapation Cracker-crust  :chef:

Flour (100%):    556.89 g  |  19.64 oz | 1.23 lbs
Water (47%):    261.74 g  |  9.23 oz | 0.58 lbs
IDY (.3%):    1.67 g | 0.06 oz | 0 lbs | 0.55 tsp | 0.18 tbsp
Salt (1.5%):    8.35 g | 0.29 oz | 0.02 lbs | 1.74 tsp | 0.58 tbsp
Oil (8%):    44.55 g | 1.57 oz | 0.1 lbs | 9.9 tsp | 3.3 tbsp
Sugar (1.5%):    8.35 g | 0.29 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.1 tsp | 0.7 tbsp
Total (158.3%):   881.56 g | 31.1 oz | 1.94 lbs | TF = 0.101
Single Ball:   440.78 g | 15.55 oz | 0.97 lbs

Start by adding the yeast to warm water (105%) with a pinch of sugar, stir & let stand for 10 mins (I know it's idy, but seems to work well when I do this... like ady).  Then I put my flour (Gold Medal - Better for Bread), salt, sugar in my food processor, turn it on & run for about 10 secs. 

Then I turn on the food processor and slowly add the water/yeast, then oil - let run for about 30 - 45 secs, let stand for 5 mins & then run for another 30 - 45 secs.

Take it out knead into a ball for a few secs & put in a Tupperware container for about 5 or 6 hours (will rise to about double in size).  Hand form pressing out & if needed finish with rolling pin, very easy to form skins and with slight dusting of flour won't stick to slip.  I then spray the skins with a light covering of olive oil making sure to spray to the outside edges/crust.  Apply toppings...

Preheat over to 550, use stone at bottom rack position, then turn down oven to 485 & bake for 9 to 11 mins... watching closely for perfect golden brown crust.

Makes two very tasty 14" pizzas...       

some pics below... of last nights pizzas...
glenn

pizzapan