Author Topic: Making donuts  (Read 4441 times)

Offline hamlove

Making donuts
« on: August 12, 2008, 03:57:54 PM »
How do make the donuts out of pizza dough and what kind of dough does it have to be. Has anyone ever made yeast rolls from dough. If so does it taste anything like golden corral. Thanks

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Making donuts
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 04:22:20 PM »
Ham,

You might take a look at this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5042.msg42735.html#msg42735. Also, member Randy has discussed using an American style dough to make donuts, at Reply 33 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,1628.msg26784.html#msg26784. Randy also uses a pizza screen (which I know you have) to drain donuts, as he mentioned at Reply 6 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5169.msg43972.html#msg43972. The American style dough should be a good one for donuts because it is high in both sugar and oil, which should produce a soft and tender crumb in the donuts. Randy's Papa John's dough clone would be a good choice for the American style.

You might also get some tips from this thread: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,791.msg7164.html#msg7164.

Another possibility is to substitute potato flour, which is commonly used in making commercial donuts sold in supermarkets, for some of the pizza flour. Bob's Red Mill sells potato flour.

I have a brother who once told me that he made rolls out of a Lehmann NY style dough for which I had provided the recipe, and he said the rolls turned out great. However, I have never tried making the rolls myself.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 04:37:04 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 04:37:12 PM »
Has anyone ever made yeast rolls from dough. If so does it taste anything like golden corral.

I'm almost positive everyone makes yeast rolls from dough.  As to whether made from pizza dough, unless you make pizzas from "yeast roll" dough, I don't think they're going to turn out the way you want.  I think I know exactly what you're looking for when you mention Golden Corral.  Those kinds of rolls require more fat, sugar, and yeast to get the flavor and texture you want.  I don't remember the last time I made yeast rolls, so I don't know if the following formula is the latest I used.  It seems to be the latest I recorded, but sometimes I make changes and forget to record them.

100.000 %    390 g   3 c   all-purpose flour
62.8205 %    245 g   1 c   milk [223 g water]
14.3590 %      56 g   4 T   butter [8.88 g water]
6.56410 %   25.6 g   2 T   sugar
1.74359 %     6.8 g   2 t   kosher salt
1.79487 %       7 g   1   ADY sachet

- red.november

EDIT: Conversion between weight and volume measurements are approximate.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 04:40:38 PM by November »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 02:48:36 AM »
RN,

I love doughnuts (what a word anyway - Teignüsse), but reading your statement...

I don't remember the last time I made yeast rolls, so I don't know if the following formula is the latest I used.  It seems to be the latest I recorded, but sometimes I make changes and forget to record them.

...I seriously wonder what you made  :angel:

I'm confused!

What do you mean? Did you forget the formula or did you forget to make changes to it? Or both? Or is the formula the one you did use?  ???

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 03:16:52 AM »
...I seriously wonder what you made  :angel:

I'm confused!

I'm sorry you're confused, but what I made is what I said I made: yeast rolls.

What do you mean? Did you forget the formula or did you forget to make changes to it? Or both? Or is the formula the one you did use?  ???

What?!  All I was saying is that the formula posted was the last formula I recorded, and not necessarily the last formula I used.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 03:18:23 AM by November »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 03:30:12 AM »
RN,

I gathered from your response that you made new yeast rolls, and perhaps doughnuts, since the last use of your formula, ...the one you posted.

Seriously, though, I worked in a bakery back in Germany, and was assigned to make "Berliner Ballen (Berlin Bales)", or "Berliner" for short, which is the equivalent of a jam-filled doughnut in the US and if you have a formula that can replicate the taste and texture WITHOUT the need to deep-fry it...please post it.

But if you don't remember... ;D (just kidding)
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline November

• Uncle Salmon
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 03:36:14 AM »
I gathered from your response that you made new yeast rolls, and perhaps doughnuts, since the last use of your formula, ...the one you posted.

I never mentioned anything about donuts in my post.  If you read the thread Peter first links to in his post above, you will see that I'm familiar with berliners, however, I don't have a recipe for berliner dough.

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 03:51:12 AM »
OMG,
You two are making me crazy.... maybe if I make some sweet roll dough... put some chocolate chips or blackberry jam inside ... and drop it in the deep fryer... I'll be able to sleep tonight!  Or maybe not....

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 04:33:21 AM »
I never mentioned anything about donuts in my post.  If you read the thread Peter first links to in his post above, you will see that I'm familiar with berliners, however, I don't have a recipe for berliner dough.

RN,

I read the links.

That's why I was hoping you had or came up with a recipe for Berliners, which don't require the mandatory frying.

OMG,
You two are making me crazy.... maybe if I make some sweet roll dough... put some chocolate chips or blackberry jam inside ... and drop it in the deep fryer... I'll be able to sleep tonight!  Or maybe not....

~sd

Mots,

The Berliner dough is not necessarily a sweet one. It's actually quite bland. It is extremely fluffy, however. The bad thing is that you've got to fry it, which in turn makes the dough suck up the mostly bad and poor quality oil used in today's bakeries (with a few exceptions), then you cool the Berliners, turn them over on their sides, push 'em down onto what looks like dual, syringe-like rods sticking up, with two handles next to it, and pump in some regular fruit jam with a very mild sugar texture or taste I should say, jelly or vanilla pudding.

The sweetness comes from regular granulated sugar. Powdered sugar is a favorite here in the US but makes the traditional Berliner way too sweet.

Mike

Offline sourdough girl

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 03:16:06 PM »
Thanks, Mike!

All the talk of donuts and Berliners was getting to me... and I don't normally crave "sweets"... I prefer salty or savory... so I had to go rummage in the pantry and find the Swiss chocolate I had buried in there.

I do appreciate the info on the Berliner... I have been known to make pastries before.  Tried my hand at cheese danish once, laminated dough and all... they turned out very well!  Also, Alton Brown had an interesting show on oil last night and I will handle my frying oil a little differently now.  His comments would help explain your comment about the "bad and poor quality" oils used by seemingly most companies.

I was even thinking of using pizza dough and pearl sugar to try to recreate the Liege-style waffles I had on the streets of Brussels.  It seems to me that pastries and "dough nuts" in Europe are so much better than what most places sell here... but maybe it is also the "romance" and ambiance of Europe that adds "je ne sais quoi" to the experience.

Interesting threads, Peter... thank you, too!

~mots aka sd

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 03:50:36 PM »
Mots,

here's a pretty basic Berliner recipe that should get you started.

Ingredients

250 g  butter
      3    eggs
    125 g  sugar
    200 g  flour
    1/2    lemon; the grated rind
      1 c  milk; lukewarm
     35 g  (or 1/7 more) yeast

How to:

Crumble the yeast into the lukewarm milk, add sugar and wait a few
minutes.

Melt the butter, beat the eggs. Add butter and eggs to the yeasty
milk, stir well. Gradually add the flour on beating the dough. Beat
the dough until it does no more stick to the spoon. Let the dough
slowly rise. Roll it out to a little less than finger-thickness. Cut
into circles with a turned glass or cup. Give a little heap of jam in
the middle of every second circle, moisten the rims with a little
water, top the jam-circles with those without jam and press all flat
parts firmly together. Do not press where the jam is.

Place the Berliner Ballen one besides the other in a warm place to
rise, cover them with a kitchen cloth.

Heat the fat and bake 3-4 Berliner at one time. Do not forget to turn
them on baking. They are done when top and bottom are light-brown and
the sides yellow. Drain well.

Dust each Berliner with granulated sugar or with powdered sugar.

Or glaze each top but not the sides or the bottom.
Mike

Offline sourdough girl

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 04:21:04 PM »
Thanks, Mike!

They look pretty easy and in the photo, they look SO delicious!  I will have to give them a try!

It will be strange to make dough that isn't for pizza!!

~mots aka sd

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 01:23:23 PM »
Today, I stumbled across a donut recipe by Tom Lehmann at the PMQ Think Tank at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=4358#4358.

Peter