Author Topic: Regarding Lehmann Dough Calculator Thickness factor  (Read 3291 times)

Offline Engineered Ceramics

Regarding Lehmann Dough Calculator Thickness factor
« on: August 15, 2008, 10:36:33 AM »
How does the thickness factor compare to Inches or cm

I see that NY style is 0.1 is atha approximately 0.1 Inches? 

Where would a Pizza Hut Thin and Thick Crusts fall in comparison.

Thanks,

Bill

Offline snowdog

Re: Regarding Lehmann Dough Calculator Thickness factor
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 11:13:50 AM »
 I think ... cracker crust style pizza might have a thickness factor of from 0.06-0.09   :chef:
glenn

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 12:49:10 PM »
Bill,

For background purposes, you might want to take a look at these posts: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,524.msg18835/topicseen.html#msg18835 (Reply 137) and http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,3477.msg29580/topicseen.html#msg29580 (Reply 17). Some of the embedded links no longer work because they were from the original PMQ Think Tank forum, which changed their forum software system and PMQ discontinued access to the old posts after the change. As you will see, and as noted by snowdog (Glenn), there can be wide variations even within a particular style. The Lehmann tool (and the other tools as well) also permits use with starting dough weights, in which case there is no need to use thickness factors. There are several members who prefer to work with standardized dough ball weights. I personally use both methods depending on what I am trying to do.

Peter

Offline snowdog

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 02:11:51 PM »
Thanks for the link Peter !  I had never seen the upper end... like .12 - .13 for thick crust... had no idea what that was... 

small extraction from link below...

Thin crust: 0.10
Lehmann crust: 0.10-0.105
Medium crust: 0.11
Thick crust: 0.12-0.13
Pizza Raquel crust: 0.07-0.08
Neapolitan 1 crust: 0.07 (for high-temperature applications)
Neapolitan 2 crust: 0.093 (for home oven applications, e.g., A16 clones)
"Elite" NY crust thickness: 0.08-0.085
Thin cracker-type crust: 0.05
glenn

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 02:37:53 PM »
Glenn,

Since I first came up with that little table, I found reasons or came upon additional information to lead me to make some changes. For example, when I made Neapolitan style pizzas in my home oven, I found it useful to use a thickness factor above 0.10 because I needed a much longer bake time than if I had an authentic high-temperature Neapolitan oven, where a lower thickness factor would be desirable. Also, Evelyne Slomon, a member of this forum and the author of The Pizza Book, gave me information that suggested that the NY "elite" styles ranged from about 0.06-0.09 in terms of thickness factors, depending on the particular pizza operator (e.g., Totonno's, Lombardi's and John's in the examples she gave me). Also, when I played around with the cracker-style doughs, I found that I preferred a thin and crispy crust, which I was able to achieve using a low thickness factor. However, the basic recipe (DKM's recipe) appeared to have a thickness factor of closer to 0.09. For the deep-dish style, which is not covered in the table you referenced, I found that a thickness factor range of 0.11-0.135 to be fairly typical.

The point I am making is to use thickness factors as a guide. It will usually take some experimentation to find the values that work best for any given style.

I often use thickness factors for diagnostic purposes. For example, if someone tells me that he is making a 14" pizza with a dough ball weight of 26 ounces and is getting a gummy crust, I can tell from the thickness factor in that case, about 0.17, that most likely the problem is a dough that is too thick to bake completely.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 02:44:32 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Engineered Ceramics

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 10:58:16 AM »
Thanks for all the help.

It was the first time I used the calculator, and I knew I wanted a medium thickness, but wasn't sure what factor to use.  I ended up using .111

I used 63% hydration, and thought my dough was too wet.  As it turns out, The pizza turned was great.  After getting such good results, I backed into my old recipe, and found it was at 56.5%, and I was making it too dry for a long time.

***BAD RECIPE DO NOT USE***

16 oz flour       (16 x 9 is a standard TV ratio, and so it was easy to remember)
   9 oz water
1/2 tsp IDY
   1 tsp salt
   1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp yeast

***BAD RECIPE DO NOT USE***

« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 11:02:49 AM by Engineered Ceramics »