Author Topic: New "Pizza Style" Category  (Read 3343 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
New "Pizza Style" Category
« on: October 08, 2007, 02:43:50 PM »
At the request of several forum members, a new "pizza style" category, Specialty-Grain Pizzas, has been added to the existing pizza styles. Steve, our administrator, has blessed the change.

It is intended that the new category cover pizzas based on crusts made using whole-wheat flour and multi-grain flour combinations. Examples of the latter might include using rye flour, graham flour, and/or soy flour with other flours, including ordinary white flour. The category is not intended to cover combinations of different white flours, like cake or pastry flour and all-purpose, bread or high-gluten white flours.

I have started to locate and populate the new category with the existing posts that appear to qualify for the new category. Those posts are scattered all over the forum, so it will take some time to locate and review them and complete the transfers. In the meantime, members should feel free to create new threads under the new category heading.

Peter

Offline Furo

Re: New "Pizza Style" Category
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 08:32:40 AM »
Peter,
Many thanks to you, Steve, and all the rest who work so hard to keep the forum working. The new category should make a great addition to the styles of pizza that many of us strive for. Having it grouped is definitely more conveinent, especially for newbies looking for a specific type.

Woody.
Being crazy isn't a necessity but it sure is FUN!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 09:36:57 AM »
Woody,

Happy to oblige. In this case, thanks to charbo, Villa Roma and others, there were enough posts to support a new category.

As often happens, when I was reviewing and moving posts around, I had to make some decisions. For example, I saw whole-wheat crust versions of several of the different styles, including NY, Chicago deep-dish, American, and even the cracker style. Because the boards for those styles are so big, I decided to move the relevant posts to the new category where they will be easier and quicker to find. In many cases, I saw posts with recipes that included only small amounts of whole wheat flour or some other specialty flour, typically a tablespoon or a few tablespoons. Unless the amount of whole wheat or other specialty flour was a large percentage of the total flour, I did not move those posts into the new category.

I also found whole-wheat dough or multi-grain dough recipes embedded in posts that were directed to other subject matter, like grills and ovens. I think there may be a couple or few threads by Villa Roma in that category. I have not moved those posts but am willing to do so if the new category is the better home for the posts. Alternatively, posters of such posts can create or replicate the subject matter in new posts under the new category. I will sometimes create a post with only links to other relevant posts to make it easier for people to find things they are looking for.

I am sure that there are some "straggler" posts that I missed because they are in unrelated thread. Usually I pick those up over time as I come across them. It's also possible that I moved posts to the new category that I shouldn't have moved. I am willing to restore those to their former homes if that is the right thing to do. I welcome input on both of those aspects.

Peter

« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 09:38:43 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline thomasz

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 05:35:46 AM »
Very good idea. I'm hurry to know pizza style here. :)