Author Topic: Koolatron C18  (Read 2664 times)

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Koolatron C18
« on: June 28, 2008, 12:27:16 PM »
I'm thinking a small hole for a thermometer to verify the temp and calibrate the unit as needed.

Koolatron C18 - a replacement for the MR-138, lacking a see through door.

I thought about doing that, and considered buying a remote wireless thermometer, for now I just open it every few hours and take a laser temp reading. It seems to be a few degrees warmer than the readout shows so I dropped it 1 degree Celsius to get closer to what I want.

PNW

edit: http://www.dataloggerstore.com/p5576/lascar_el-usb-lite.php  this might be a way to go?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 01:00:28 PM by Pizza_Not_War »

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Re: Koolatron C18
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 01:20:04 PM »
Because I haven't seen anyone post this unit's specifications, and because not all websites selling this unit post its specifications either, here they are:

Koolatron C18 (KN-C18)
Power:       12V, 4.5 A, 60 W (separate 110V adapter required for standard home use)
Range:       18C (32.4F) below ambient to 60C (140F)
Internal:     18L
External:    13.97" (W) x 12.59" (H) x 7.48" (D)

When I hear the word replacement, I think of the specifications, features, and price being the same or extremely similar.  I think this unit may be more of an alternative than a replacement.  It's slightly smaller than the MR-138; it lacks a window; and because it lacks an included 110V adapter, it's a much as twice as expensive depending on where it's purchased.

Offline pwaldman

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 05:16:03 PM »
November

Good point about it being an alternative because clearly it has attributes that are different than the MR-138.  As far a cost goes I was able to get it for $136 including shipping with the AC/DC adapter which a little more costly than what the Thermokool was advertised for.  As long as it performs in a similar fashion with ultimately the same results I think it will be a viable solution to the very hard (if not impossble) to get MR-138.

Pete

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 09:56:14 AM »
Update on Koolatron - it does the job as needed however today it has developed a very annoying buzz/hum from the cooling fan. This will eventually drive me crazy unless I move it to another part of the house. As with computer components, when I hear that kind of noise I know that it is not long before it dies.

RIP

PNW

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 04:53:29 PM »
Further update on C18... Through an odd twist of fate I wound up owning two C18's for the price of one. The flexibility of having two units is excellent. I am able to activate a starter in one unit while doing a room temperature rise in the other. Or I can do an extra large batch of rising dough balls. The noisy unit is still working and after running for awhile it quiets itself. The temperatures according to the digital readout seem to stay pretty constant.

PNW