Author Topic: Why has PIZZA HUT gone down the toilet?  (Read 17675 times)

Offline pizzaluvr

• Rush 2004 2nd row!
    • Seeburg 220 jukebox
Why has PIZZA HUT gone down the toilet?
« on: December 25, 2004, 07:43:12 PM »
Was it the buy-out by Pepsi that ruined Pizza Hut, or was it something else?

I remember in the 1970's, Pizza Hut being consistently good American pizza.  No it wasn't, nor will it ever be NY, Chicago, or handmade, but it was decent enough to want me going back for more.

I have patronized them for nearly 40 years, but I've noticed in the last 15 or so, that they have become downright gross.

Pan Pizzas are nothing more than dripping-with-grease soggy sponges of dough.

And the thin is even worse!  The thin-n-crispy used to be actually crispy.  The last 10+ years, all I've gotten from them is a stale-tasting cardboard textured pizza.  I think they changed the recipe along the way.

Add to that, an obvious decline in sales due to competition, and all they can do is re-invent some new pizza every year or two (the NY biggie or whatever the name was,  the 4 in 1 pizza, among others).

Also, there restaurants are filthy and run by people who are rude and impolite.  They could use a complete makeover, like tearing out the grease-laden carpeting and having booths that you didn't sink two feet down in.

I've stopped eating at PIzza Hut because it's consistently BAD.  It's owned by a corporation that obviously doesn't care about it.  I feel it's dying a slow death.  Do us a favor and put it out of its' misery.

Pepsi, are you listening?   If I was a stockholder, I'd be mad.
"Bring me four fried chickens and a Coke"......
  "And some white toast..."  Jake & Elwood

Offline JRD

Re: Why has PIZZA HUT gone down the toilet?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 01:52:41 PM »
It's the chain restaraunt effect. I can't stand Pizza Hut, for pretty much all the reasons stated above.

Luckily, I live near Chicago with good, local pizza places literally a dime a dozen. I have no reason to ever set foot in a Hut again.

Offline canadave

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2005, 07:29:21 PM »
I've noticed this too.  I used to LOVE Pizza Hut pizza...even knowing it's a chain-pizza, and not up to the usual class of a classic NY pizza, it still was really tasty.

Now as you pointed out, it tastes like cardboard to me.  Not only that, but they really scrimp and chintz you on the sauce and cheese; they only cover the crust a little ways out from the centre of the disk of the pizza, leaving plenty of "blank space".

I dunno what it is that caused this, but it sure is noticeable--to me at least.

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 07:22:22 PM »
I was amazed how how much Pizza Inn changed just in the 4 years I worked for them.  I'm sure Pizza Hutt had many of the same issues. Make things simpler, make things faster.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline pizzaluvr

• Rush 2004 2nd row!
    • Seeburg 220 jukebox
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 08:14:06 AM »
Luckily, I live near Chicago with good, local pizza places literally a dime a dozen. I have no reason to ever set foot in a Hut again.

Man, what I wouldn't give for a slice of Chicago-style right now!   I was in Chicago in '94 to catch a Cubs game, and I had one of the best pizzas ever!   Nothing but cardboard here in VA.  :(

Offline captain-insano

• Lets eat!
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 11:41:28 PM »
You used to be able to count on getting a decent thin crust pizza. Now all there dough comes frozen. I still think about going there after cub scouts as a small child in the early 70's. I grew up in Ottawa Ks which is about 125 miles from Wichita. I still remember the way they tented the pizza in paper, ther slow ovens, and there Romano dressing. My Dad always ordered an we always got sausage and mushroom. Man it was good! They have gone the way of all American business. It all started with their portion cups. My friend was a manager and I cant remember how much he told me the person that came up with that idea got from corporate for that suggestion.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2005, 11:43:42 PM by captain-insano »

T Ling

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2005, 03:57:54 PM »
I don't know why Pizza hut suck. We had lost a lot of the store. Then they open a new one. No problem, my wife call in order our dinner. She when over in the time frame. No pizza, and as many of the other people waiting in line. The manager did not even try to make it right.
I found Pizza Hut web site and let them know about a problem they had. Got a e-mail from them, they would make it right.
Got in a mail a expire coupon for a free pizza, good going Pizza Hut. You just made me more to stay with a local Pizza shop than dealing with you a__h___! My family will never step foot into a Pizza Hut. Thank god for Papa John and others. Take your corprate coupon and put in the bathroom because that is all it is worth.

Offline onkaluna

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 12:50:45 AM »
My guess is that pizza hut has declined due to the rise of the delivery/carryout biz. Folks getting a pizza steamed in a cardboard box for 20 min. probably expect cardboard, so that's the new standard. Junk pizza for junk culture. Adapt or choke! The proportion of dine-in Huts to others 'round here (Utah) is about 5:1...

hank

Offline Trinity

• Extra cheese please!
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2005, 07:09:21 AM »
Same thing happend to taco bell,,, And KFC... :(
It's an Earth food. They are called Swedish meatballs. It's a strange thing, but every sentient race has its own version of these Swedish meatballs! I suspect it's one of those great universal mysteries which will either never be explained, or which would drive you mad if you ever learned the truth.

Offline captain-insano

• Lets eat!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2005, 10:16:08 PM »
As for Papa Johns they are not bad in a pinch. However that fresh ingredients thing is a joke. I got the person working there to admit that the dough comes in frozen like pizza hut. Fortunately I have found the Holy Grail of pizza making (Pizzamaking.com) and no longer need them! You know someone could open up restaurants and use these conglomos original ideas and make a fortune. IE Pizza Hut McD's and such.

expizzagurl

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2005, 02:51:32 PM »
I can't answer your question, other than sh*t starts at th etop and rolls down hill. I can only tell you that this is why I finally left the company. I have standards, and I refuse to serve someone somethign I won't eat myself, or treat someone a way I wouldn't want to be treated. I am honestly surprised they have any customers left at all!

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2005, 11:16:37 AM »
As for Papa Johns they are not bad in a pinch. However that fresh ingredients thing is a joke. I got the person working there to admit that the dough comes in frozen like pizza hut.

The orginal crust is never frozen I know that for a fact. 
From Papa Johns: "Our original crust dough is shipped fresh (never frozen) to our restaurants, allowing it to proof slowly and naturally. We believe that a full-flavored crust comes from dough which has been given the proper time to work its natural magic. "

The thin crust they offer is premade and may be frozen.

Randy
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 01:22:29 PM by Randy »

Danny Ocean

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2005, 09:55:41 PM »
Was it the buy-out by Pepsi that ruined Pizza Hut, or was it something else?

To me they jumped the shark in the early 90's

I worked for pizza hut as a teenager (hey it was the only way to afford my pizza habit at the time) during the late 80's and early 90's.
They started going downhill with the introduction of the "Hand Tossed" pizza. I had already been working there for a few years and was told I needed to change the way I thought about pizza hut pizza because the new "Hand Tossed" was going to put pizza hut over the top.

I attended our restaurants first "class" on the new pizza. I actually was excited because I had always wanted to learn how to throw the dough like the guys at the local Pizzeria where I grew up as a kid. Well the new "Hand Tossed" pizza wasn't hand tossed. I was instructed to "Hand Stretch" the dough before it was placed and a thin baking tray and then put into the proofer so the dough could rise. Once risen the dough was placed in the cooler for use as needed. At least back then we made all the dough fresh every day.

One thing that really irked me was the topping structure. The customer was so ripped off I usually informed them that they would get more topping for the money if they ordered only one topping and if they were only ordering a cheese pizza with extra cheese that really they just needed to order a cheese pizza as the cheese only pizza came with more cheese than if they ordered a pizza with say ham. Let me explain. Say for instance you order a large pan pizza with italian sausage, you would get 12oz of sausage. Now if you added pepperoni to that pizza you would only get 8oz of sausage and the pepperoni is spaced much further apart leaving 1in. gaps around, instead of edge to edge which you would get if you only ordered pepperoni. You still were charged the same amount for each topping but the more you added the less we were ordered to put on your pizza. Same with the cheese, cheese only large pizzas got 16oz of cheese but you order a topping and the cheese is reduced to 12oz. Order pepperoni and extra cheese and you got 12oz plus 4oz of cheese. Big ripoff but I ate free :)

Now with their constant trying to invent new pizza every few months it has really gotten pathetic. Stuffed Crust pizza, NY Big Slab, Double Stuffed Crust, 4 Cheese Stuffed Crust, 4 Way Pizza...enough! Just make GOOD pizza, thats all. I can see it now "We've made the new Ultimate 7 layer pizza. Theres a layer for mom, a layer for dad, some for the kids, some for the neighbors kids, the baby sitter too and don't forget grandma (but with her high blood pressure and heart disease from eating our products in the past, she really can't have any) This new Ultimate 7 layer pizza is triple stuffed with 7 of your favorite toppings and we don't stop there. Each level of pizza has the crust stuffed with 3 different kinds of cheese making a total of 21 cheeses. And don't think we left out the dipping sauce, No Sir! We have injected pizza sauce, dipping butter and Ranch dressing into the inner ring of crust on each level of pizza just like Aquafresh Toothpaste!"

disclaimer:  We take no responsibility in the overall health of you or your family. Some customers may gain weight from eating our products. In fact if you actually read the Nutritional Information availible on our website you would realize that eating one slice of this food is more salt than you should have in one day not to mention the fat content so we won't. Also by calling any of ourrestaurants you hereby give up all your rights. Cholesterol  testing kits availible separately.

But seriously I think its over for pizza hut trying to deliver a decent pie. I still have not been able to convince my wife of this. She seems to like the stuff. To each there own.

Offline pizzaluvr

• Rush 2004 2nd row!
    • Seeburg 220 jukebox
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2005, 09:59:43 PM »
To me they jumped the shark in the early 90's

Danny - thanks for the insight on PH.   It's amazing how they managed to blow it completely.  They're just gross now - no redeeming qualities.   My kids still like it (mainly for the bread sticks) but I refuse to take my family there anymore. 

If you should happen to remember ANYTHING about the Thin N' Crispy pizza, please share!  Anything, from type of flour to making it, to cooking method / temp.   

Thanks -  Mark

Offline smakawao

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2006, 06:12:42 AM »
I use to work at a pizza hut in high school one large pizza before you put it in the oven you pour on cup of vegetable oil in the pan. Its deep fried pizza, one slice of it is nearly 1300 calories.  :o

Offline gottabedapan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2006, 07:09:08 PM »
I think all of you are wrong about Pizza Hut going down the toilet.

IMO, PH has always been crappy, it's just that, 15-20 years ago, most of us didn't have access to good pizza made with high-quality ingredients, so we didn't know any better. Granted, PH may have been better than what everyone else was serving, but at the end of the day, a crap sandwich is still a crap sandwich.  ;D Now that we DO have access to first-rate pizza, we can recognize it for the abomination it is.

Offline smakawao

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2006, 08:11:26 PM »
A well managed Pizza Hut is still good pizza but its not Great.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2006, 02:00:17 PM »
As for Papa Johns they are not bad in a pinch. However that fresh ingredients thing is a joke. I got the person working there to admit that the dough comes in frozen like pizza hut. Fortunately I have found the Holy Grail of pizza making (Pizzamaking.com) and no longer need them! You know someone could open up restaurants and use these conglomos original ideas and make a fortune. IE Pizza Hut McD's and such.

After 9/11 happened all the papa johns in our area were "temporarily closed" (San jose, CA). They reopened some months later but not all the stores reopened. I don't know if there was a 9/11 investigation connection but it was the oddest thing I have ever seen for a restaurant chain. I suppose they underwent some reorganization?

Anyway, ever since they reopened the recipe seems different. I personally think their pizza has gone the way of pizza hut = toilet. I agree with the other poster that pizza hut has always been bad, but it used to be much more tolerable. Now it's just a soggy oily mess looking for a toilet to escape to.

I think the poster that mentioned the decline in chain pizza to the increase in "take out business" hit the nail on the head. Chain restaurants know that their capacity is limited when they get slammed, so they have done everything possible to speed up the process and deliver the product so they can shove more pizzas in the pipeline. At most chain places the people don't even "handle" the pizza in the oven anymore. Its drop run and wait 10 minutes. It's not just pizza, but food at almost any place you go. Everyone is in such a hurry. It's "worry, hurry, bury." I think the lifestyles of Americans, (At least in silicon valley here) has prompted the response from the food industry to make things quick and fast. They think the faster you get out, the happier a customer will be. So I salute you fellow home chefs and pizza makers. Taking the time to enjoy food and family is a dying tradition. We need to preserve our craft, it's truly a dying art form.  :chef:

IMO Round table is the only chain pizza that has continued to be a tasty pie. Their combination of spicy sauce with a sharp bitting cheese is quite complementary on the palate. Their dough is so-so, (Cracker style) but I prefer a more chewy crust.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 02:07:46 PM by DNA Dan »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2006, 02:47:11 PM »
DNA Dan,

Not to go too far afield with this post, but apropos of your remarks, Kentucky Fried Chicken, a sister company of Pizza Hut, recently introduced a new product including creamy mashed potatoes, sweet kernel corn, bite size pieces of all-white meat crispy chicken, topped with homestyle gravy and a 3-cheese blend, I read an article at the New York Times website how that product came to be and, in great measure, it was designed to allow people to eat it easily while in a vehicle driving. I suppose the other hand will be holding a cell phone. Even the automobile manufacturers have designed all kinds of cup and tray holders into their vehicles to accommodate that trend.

Peter

Offline Harv

• Did someone say pizza?
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2006, 06:53:14 AM »
I don't know why we all bother with this homeade pizza thing.  We could all be driving around eating our pizza flavored Hotpockets complete with authentic mozzarella flavored processed cheese food product. ;)

pizzapan