Author Topic: Do your dough skins have a "side"?  (Read 7444 times)

Offline JimmyMak

Re: Do your dough skins have a "side"?
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2008, 09:01:42 AM »
They look like they will work great . I like the lid , let me know  how it works.

Offline DomeZone

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2008, 10:36:52 AM »
As to unfinished boxes, would a small childs bedroom drawer set work, I think most drawers I seen ,used, the insides are not painted or treated.

Mike

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2008, 01:28:45 PM »
Jimmy,

The pizzas turned out quite well.

The proofing in the wooden box was much better than in a plastic dough box. No 'sweating' of the dough, no drying out, it kept a nice and smooth, almost silky, texture, no sticking to the bottom and no 'skin' forming whatsoever. I left a couple of dough balls in the box overnight at RT and when I checked this morning, I didn't see any changes at all, except a bit more expansion.

I think a wooden proofing box is a pretty good tool.

DomeZone,

I don't know about drawers. I could imagine that they are sometimes treated with some sort of laquer or other chemical.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 01:31:12 PM by Essen1 »
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline thegoodpie

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 11:21:02 PM »
I'm opening a neopoletan pizzeria and am curious about the wine cases, I will be doing a room temp rise and need stackable preferably wooden dough boxes, im thinking i could easily get 6 9oz doughs in a case.  Is the wood that these cases are from suitable for this purpose? its seems if so, then its a really cheap way to have cool recycled usable pizza dough boxes....thinking i'd cut them in half and put a bottum on the other side, and right there i have 2 boxes good for 12 doughs

thought? your experiments? still happy over time with the wine cases?

cheers and thanks in advance for your help

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2008, 11:47:40 PM »
I'm opening a neopoletan pizzeria and am curious about the wine cases, I will be doing a room temp rise and need stackable preferably wooden dough boxes, im thinking i could easily get 6 9oz doughs in a case.  Is the wood that these cases are from suitable for this purpose? its seems if so, then its a really cheap way to have cool recycled usable pizza dough boxes....thinking i'd cut them in half and put a bottum on the other side, and right there i have 2 boxes good for 12 doughs

thought? your experiments? still happy over time with the wine cases?

cheers and thanks in advance for your help

Thegoodpie,

First off, good luck with your pizzeria.

Yes, I have used the wine boxes three times so far and am extremely happy the way the dough comes out. No skin forming, no sweating of the dough and very easy to handle. The outside has a smooth feel to it when I take them out of the box. Plus, the dough stays moist on the inside.

I "seasoned" them in the same way I did season my wooden pizza peel. I used Caputo 00 Blue for it, since it has a finer mill and can really get into all the crevices of the wood.

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline JimmyMak

« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 08:30:20 PM »
I have a wood box made of poplar a carpenter made for me. What recipe would you recomend for warm rise.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 08:51:24 PM »
I have a wood box made of poplar a carpenter made for me. What recipe would you recomend for warm rise.

Jimmy,

I don't know if you're addressing me or member Widespreadpizza, but for an RT rise, I'd increase the hydration just a bit if you're using the wooden box. Or use your personal formula and see how it does in a wooden proofing box, first.
Mike

Offline JimmyMak

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2008, 09:19:15 PM »
Here's my box.  ;D

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2008, 11:37:47 PM »
Impressive!

Seriously, that's a great box. Now put it to good use, will ya'!?  ;D
Mike

Offline UnConundrum

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2009, 08:26:08 AM »
It's been a year.  Are you guys still using wooden boxes, and still happy with them?

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2009, 09:15:18 AM »
I rarely use them anymore,  I don't have a real good reason,  I just don't.  Might be the sanitation factor,  or just because I never made the lid for the top.  -marc

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2009, 10:11:45 AM »
The wine boxes you get from the store are made of poplar?

pizzapan