Author Topic: Second attempt at high temp bake  (Read 5952 times)

Offline turbosundance

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Second attempt at high temp bake
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 07:11:22 PM »
I'm going to be making about 12 pizzas this coming weekend on my BBQ setup.  I'll once again be doing it in the bush 300 miles from my home.  I will be making 3 batches of this recipe:
Flour (100%):
Water (60%):
IDY (0.25%):
Salt (1.75%):
Olive Oil (0.25%):
Total (162.25%):
Single Ball:
927.69 g  |  32.72 oz | 2.05 lbs
556.62 g  |  19.63 oz | 1.23 lbs
2.32 g | 0.08 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.77 tsp | 0.26 tbsp
16.23 g | 0.57 oz | 0.04 lbs | 3.38 tsp | 1.13 tbsp
2.32 g | 0.08 oz | 0.01 lbs | 0.52 tsp | 0.17 tbsp
1505.18 g | 53.09 oz | 3.32 lbs | TF = 0.1
376.3 g | 13.27 oz | 0.83 lbs

Anyone have and recommendations on how to cool and transport this amount of dough?  I'm going to have to use a large camping cooler with my dough balls in zip-lock bags.  I hope it works out.  Once I arrive in the "bush" there is a full size propane powered fridge to cool the dough.  I am mostly worried about the 5 hour drive in a cooler.  I could make the dough on-site but then I could only get a 24 hour cold rise (leaving  home Thursday evening and I plan to cook the pizza for dinner Saturday night for my friends birthday.   Any thoughts?
Ryan

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 10:53:13 PM »
I would think it will be fine depending on your cooler of course. I just got back from a trip where our cooler held ice for the better part of 5 days even with temps in the mid 90's, and in mostly direct sunlight.

Jeff
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline fabio

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 04:00:09 AM »
Hi Turbo,

You said you made a batch without oil and salt, and it tore very easily? That would be because salt is essential, the problem is not with the oil. Salt strengthens the gluten, keeping it from tearing. I put as much as 2.8% (baker's percent) salt in my dough.

Oh, and to keep your dough from burning at the bottom, increase the hydration. Often I use caputo flour, but when i use an AP (Five Roses AP from safeway), I go to about 72% hydration. Makes it a little trickier to handle, especially with very little bench flour, but well worth it. You will get better oven spring, better charring and blistering, and a more delicate neapolitan-like crust. I think you will be pleased.

One more tip, if you aren't using a sourdough starter, give that a try; it makes your dough more burn-resistant.

About buying the pizza oven . . . just tell your wife that it's just as good an investment as buying a brand-new china set or 300-thread-count egyptian cotton bead-spreads, except that it's actually USEFUL. I kids. Be careful, "hell hath no fury . . . " ;)

Offline turbosundance

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2008, 04:51:04 PM »
I meant to say with no sugar or oil.  I believe that batch of dough was over fermented due some refrigeration problems when transporting my dough to the remote area I made the pizza.  I tried it again and it turned out good - it was eaten to fast to get any pictures and I was far too busing making about 10 pizzas.  Each pizza was no more than 2 minutes each and the dough was awesome.  I'm going to try it again at home soon and I will take some pictures this time.  These are definitely the best pizzas I have made and rival some of the best commercial pizzas I've had.
Ryan

Offline turbosundance

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2008, 01:56:32 PM »
I managed to find one picture:

Here I am cooking a pizza. 
Ryan

pizzapan