Author Topic: differenct cheeses  (Read 2319 times)

Offline itnenaer

differenct cheeses
« on: July 02, 2008, 10:35:16 PM »
I was wondering if someone new of a brand that was rennet free and also rbgh free( rapid bovine growth hormone). 
 :-\

i found one online, from cedargrove, the taste wasnt bad. price was pretty good too. 
also is there somewhere i can get the grande?  i would like to taste it and compare it w/some rennet free and also rbgh free. 
thank you

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: differenct cheeses
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 02:07:16 AM »
Tillamook

The ingredients used to make Tillamook cheddar cheese include cultured milk, enzymes, salt, and annatto.  All of our cheeses are made with a microbial/vegetable based enzymes, with the exception of Tillamook Vintage White Medium Cheddar Cheese and Tillamook Vintage White Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese, which use a traditional rennet.

Since April 1, 2005 all Tillamook County Creamery Association members and contract milk suppliers for our cheese production have certified that all milk they deliver to our facilities in Boardman, Ore. and Tillamook, Ore. is from cows not supplemented with the artificial bovine growth hormone rBST.

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 02:42:51 AM »
Well, PNW...
I'm born and raised in OR... and while I love Tillamook cheese (and go out of my way to buy it...a "native" thing, I guess)  I didn't realize that it was THAT healthy!  Thanks for the great post! 

p.s. My grandparents retired from Salem to build a home in Manzanita... just north of Tillamook... off Hwy 101.  Beautiful country!

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline Boy Hits Car

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 10:37:32 AM »
also is there somewhere i can get the grande?  i would like to taste it and compare it w/some rennet free and also rbgh free. 
thank you

http://www.pennmac.com/page/27

Offline itnenaer

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 11:14:40 AM »
Thanks for the post.  I was actually looking for Mozz. cheese.  not sure if tillamook makes it or not.  but yeah when i lived in seattle, i use to buy tillamook all the time.  if i remember correctly, they also make butter, which is a great tasting butter. 

thanks boy hits car.  i actually found that site last night and ordered some.  i'm gonna also order my cedargrove mozz. to do a taste comparison. 

has anyone used Bazzio cheeses?  i've heard the milk they used is not treated with the hormone. 

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 11:21:25 AM »
mozz

Offline itnenaer

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008, 11:26:04 AM »
 ;D  I just went to their website :-[ 

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2008, 04:48:23 PM »
As a follow up to this thread, I finally located a package of Tillamook Mozz and uncooked it had a nice flavor, a bit different than the usual mozz I have used.

Baked on pizza it was awful in taste and appearance. As the pizza cooled it took on a somewhat milky translucent glow. Don't know how it would react with a lower temperature bake (mine was 750+) but I don't intend to try it.

My favorite remains - North Beach whole milk mozz from Trader Joe's.

PNW