Author Topic: Pizza Making at A MANO owner of Keste  (Read 8662 times)

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Pizza Making at A MANO owner of Keste
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2010, 09:10:41 PM »
Not yet but Thanks for reminding me ! I will stop in tomorrow and check it out, email said it goes thru the 24th so hope to see some roberto action
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2010, 06:08:48 AM »
I was invited to spend a couple of days there whenever I was available.  Now it's just finding the time.

Matt

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always working and looking for new information!
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2010, 07:06:01 AM »
I was invited to spend a couple of days there whenever I was available.  Now it's just finding the time.

Matt

Matt,

That's good to hear.  Have a great time!  :)

Norma

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2010, 07:08:22 AM »
YEA !! let us know how it goes wen you have the opportunity...
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2010, 08:19:50 AM »
Matt,
You Better let me know if you come to Amano, I am only 10 min away. Thats where I got the Oliera! I know one of the partners there. The pizzaiolas are very friendly and talkative there.We can talk some serious pizza and maybe you could help me make a dough ( sorry only Bosch)  so I can see if my oven will produce a pie like you frequently post  :pizza: THANKS
John

Offline Matthew

• Supporting Member
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2010, 06:05:28 PM »
Matt,
You Better let me know if you come to Amano, I am only 10 min away. We can talk some serious pizza and maybe you could help me make a dough ( sorry only Bosch)  so I can see if my oven will produce a pie like you frequently post  :pizza: THANKS
John

You Bet!  I have family in Ridgewood that I haven't seen in quite some time.

Matt

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2010, 07:20:32 PM »
Ok so I dashed into A Mano today to see the Master Roberto and ?? Nothing just a few tables and me I sat right in front of the ovens ordered my Margherita and stepped up to the prep table with my oven pics to break the ice. The guy remembered me from the Antonini Esposipto demo. I asked about the Class Instruction and Nothing Got the interpretoer and still nothing ? Mabe doing in NY ? Maybe no Interest? The waiter new nothing of anything going on either I even looked in back in case they misunderstood me? Nada
Either way, I chatted with my limited spanish, checked out the dough whatched him up close make the pizzas and proceeeded to eat by far the BEST pizza I have had "out " in sometime !!  Its not Robetro but these 2 guys  really have it nailed down! The dough looked very similar to the shot from Keste norma posted but the second tray looked beautiful!! I have been tramping around all the slice joints in bergen county for the whole summer and this was a pleasant change wonderful!!
Pics of dough below and the pie I enjoyed yes the whole thing! and yes, as an added bonus it was 2 for 1 day!!! so. ..into the box with the second pie thats  the second pic(box) . Great Neapolitan Pizze here ! I would have to try Keste but this has to be close?
 sorry its my cel phone camera so not the best shots, enjoy!
John
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 07:29:17 PM by JConk007 »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2010, 07:53:10 PM »
Ok so I dashed into A Mano today to see the Master Roberto and ?? Nothing just a few tables and me I sat right in front of the ovens ordered my Margherita and stepped up to the prep table with my oven pics to break the ice. The guy remembered me from the Antonini Esposipto demo. I asked about the Class Instruction and Nothing Got the interpretoer and still nothing ? Mabe doing in NY ? Maybe no Interest? The waiter new nothing of anything going on either I even looked in back in case they misunderstood me? Nada
Either way, I chatted with my limited spanish, checked out the dough whatched him up close make the pizzas and proceeeded to eat by far the BEST pizza I have had "out " in sometime !!  Its not Robetro but these 2 guys  really have it nailed down! The dough looked very similar to the shot from Keste norma posted but the second tray looked beautiful!! I have been tramping around all the slice joints in bergen county for the whole summer and this was a pleasant change wonderful!!
Pics of dough below and the pie I enjoyed yes the whole thing! and yes, as an added bonus it was 2 for 1 day!!! so. ..into the box with the second pie thats  the second pic(box) . Great Neapolitan Pizze here ! I would have to try Keste but this has to be close?
 sorry its my cel phone camera so not the best shots, enjoy!
John

John,

That was a nice write-up and pictures.  Those pies do look tasty.   ;D

Thanks for the pictures, they sure did make me hungry for more Great Neapolitan Pizze!  :-D  Glad you enjoyed them.

Norma

Offline PizzaVera

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2010, 10:46:37 PM »
O I asked about the Class Instruction and Nothing Got the interpretoer and still nothing ? Mabe doing in NY ? Maybe no Interest?
John
no idea.. I did get another email from Roberto about January classes and the prices are the same.
4500 dollars? NO takers? I think they were to ambitious on the price, sure Roberto is making a name for himself and he is hot right now
but 4500 dollars in this economy is steep. I think 2500 dollars they would have gotten more bites.  people have to come from out of town, pay hotels, daily food costs flights or buses etc.. just to steep... the extra 2000 is needed for hotels etc.. so 5grand can be the final 10day costs to go to NYC and take that course. sure living locally then you save costs. but still...5 g's man!!

I wonder if he will still conduct the lessons with only 1 student?

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2010, 11:44:22 PM »
John,  were those dough boxes,  or seafood boxes?  I noticed that Roberto is using what looks like seafood boxes. I also know they seal good and are cheap,  like free.  -marc

Also,  pies look great.  One of those guys told me some itme ago that the dough balls were 250 grams,  do you buy that?  Seemed more like 300 to me?  But who knows,  they were great
« Last Edit: November 22, 2010, 11:46:35 PM by widespreadpizza »

Offline Barry

• Pizza Passion Perserverance
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2010, 04:45:30 AM »
Hi John,

Thanks for the write-up and pics.

What intrigues me the most is the first pic of the dough balls in the dough box at A Mano. Perhaps other members can also comment here. I thought that the dough looks pretty "blown" with those huge bubbles. They also look like they have collapsed a little, and that the gluten strength has declined. Comments?

Did you see the pizza makers actually take a "ball" from that box, and cook your pizza?

The second pic of the dough balls (full tray) look almost ready for use - definitely quite some way off being "blown" as in the first pic. Any comment ?

Kind regards.

Barry

Offline cliffgarz

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2011, 06:31:38 PM »
Thought I would chime in.  I was supposed to go to this class as I am writing my BP to open a Neapolitan pizzeria.  I talked with Roberto several times and sent an email requesting information about the class such as if it was a certification course and if it was at A Mano or at Keste because my brother lives on Staten Island so free place to stay versus hotels.  I aslo asked about hotels nearby and transportation and such.  I got an email back saying he would get back to me in a few days but I never heard back.  I wanted to get my airline tickets and hotel if needed in advance to save some coin.  But I never got any info back..  Just thought I'd let you know my experience. 

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2011, 07:47:38 PM »
Barry,
Sorry never caught that post back in November. YES, the first pie pic is from that 1st dough shot I stood righ with him as he scooped it out Kinda folding the corners in the get started on the slap technique. The fist Pic / box this dough looks very similar to the photos from the post Norma put up on her visit to NYC and Keste. New york Suggestions for a day thread   http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12388.20.html  reply #26 pg 2
Maybe was blown or close to it, but sure tasted fine.
John
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 08:01:26 PM by JConk007 »

Offline Barry

« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2011, 04:09:28 AM »
Hi John,

Good to hear from you again! Thanks for you reply.

I have never had my dough show such large bubbles. When I next make a batch of dough, I will make some extra, and let it ferment at room temp - "further than my normnal routine..." .

I will then see how it differs with regard to ease of shaping, and especially in taste.

Also, thanks for the link to Norma's pics. I really enjoyed my visit to New York, and the pics brought back many happy memories.

Kind regards.

Barry

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2011, 08:07:09 AM »
Roberto is using baker's yeast.  When I see bubbles and lack of ball definition like that in my natural starter dough, its a sign the dough is overblown.

Offline Barry

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2011, 10:41:47 AM »
My sister was in NYC last night and I recommended that she visit Keste for dinner.

Ssiad it was great, and sent the following pic as proof.

I thought the crust looked OK. I do prefer a lighter colour, with a lot and lots of tiny spots of leoparding though.

Enjoy...

Barry

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2011, 11:25:51 AM »
My sister was in NYC last night and I recommended that she visit Keste for dinner.

Ssiad it was great, and sent the following pic as proof.

I thought the crust looked OK. I do prefer a lighter colour, with a lot and lots of tiny spots of leoparding though.

Enjoy...

Barry

Barry,

Thanks for the picture of Keste's pie.  :) I could eat one of Roberto's pies any day.

Norma

pizzapan