Author Topic: Deep Dish Pizza Pans  (Read 11444 times)

Offline DeepDish 622

Deep Dish Pizza Pans
« on: September 04, 2008, 11:55:32 PM »
Does anyone know where I can purchase a 13" or 14" deep dish pizza pan?  The one that I have been using for over 15 years is starting to rust on the inside -- not a good thing.   :'(  It's bad enough that I don't feel it is safe to use it anymore, and will probably need to send it to pizza pan heaven.  I'd like to get one that won't rust, if possible.

Offline Art

• la pizza θ la mia vita!!
Re: Deep Dish Pizza Pans
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 08:19:24 AM »
I buy my pizza equipment at Zesco.com   Check it out.
http://www.zesco.com/pGroups.cfm?subCatID=1858
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 08:23:30 AM by Art »
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 10:10:55 AM »
DeepDish 622,

There are many types of deep-dish pans so if you are not certain what kind you want to buy, this post might help you choose: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5780.msg49105.html#msg49105 (Reply 2). Once you find the pan you want, then it becomes a matter of finding someone who carries it and at a reasonable price.

Peter

Offline DeepDish 622

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 05:53:04 PM »
I buy my pizza equipment at Zesco.com   Check it out.
http://www.zesco.com/pGroups.cfm?subCatID=1858

I will check out Zesco first, since they are local.  Thanks for the information everyone!

Offline DeepDish 622

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 01:03:28 AM »
Okay, a colleague at my work yesterday suggested that I look into stone deep dish pans, instead of metal.  She told me that several of her metal pans have rusted as well, and that she greatly prefers stone anymore.  Does anyone know where I could obtain a 13" or 14" stone deep dish pan?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 09:30:54 AM »
DeepDish 622,

I have seen non-metal deep-dish pans advertised over the years at King Arthur and elsewhere but if you are trying to replicate the authentic Chicago deep-dish style I would use only metal pans. If you use a dark anodized deep-dish pan, such as those sold by pizzatools.com, Chicago Metallic, American Metalcraft and others, you will not experience rusting if that is a particular concern.

I might add that I have been reading about this subject for years, including at forums dedicated to professional pizza operators, and I can't recall a single instance where a commercial deep-dish pizza operator used a non-metal deep-dish pan to make authentic deep-dish pizzas. If authenticity is not a consideration, then you will no doubt be able to bake a deep-dish pizza in a stone or other non-metal deep-dish pan, just as fruit or savory pies are baked in glass or other non-metal pie plates.

Peter

Offline DeepDish 622

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 09:59:48 AM »
I will check out the dark anodized deep-dish pans today.  I do wish to have as much authenticity as possible, but potential health issues stemming from using a rusted pan are a concern, also.  I will post more when I return from Zesco.

Offline lloydrep

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 01:22:24 PM »
You could look at lloydpans.com where many pizza restaurants purchase their pans. There is also a perforated deep dish pizza pan that helps transfer more heat into the center of the pie.

Concerning the rust in the previous posts, aluminum pans will never rust and dark anodized pans will last a very long time. The anodizing process actually seals the aluminum and makes the pan 10 times harder than stainless steel.

Offline DeepDish 622

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 04:22:01 PM »
I purchased a 14" aluminum pan the other day, but would still like to purchase a 14" stone pan, if I can find one.  I think that would add to the taste, even though the steel or aluminum pans are more "authentic" Chicago deep dish style.  I will check out lloydpans.com.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2008, 04:35:01 PM »
DeepDish 622,

After I last posted, it occurred to me that pizza operators who specialize in the deep-dish style sometimes stack their pans. They also handle them quite roughly, as by tossing them into bins or other storage areas. I don't know if stone pans do a better job making deep-dish pizzas, but it would not be particularly practical to use stone pans in a commercial, high-volume setting.

Peter

Offline mykall

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 12:52:29 AM »
lloydrep,

I like those pans, but I'm concerned with the lubricating coating on the HA pans.  What exactly is it (site doesn't explain well enough) and I know this is a silly question but is it safe? 

Thanks

Mike

Offline lloydrep

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 03:06:56 PM »
Mike,
Yes, the release coatings on all our pans are safe for cooking up to 600 degrees at which time the release attributes start to degrade. Our coatings are very durable and PTFE free. They are water based and contain no solvents or harmful contaminants that will come off in your food at any temperature. Our PSTK coating offers pre-seasoning so that minimal prep for new pans are required. These pans are used by many of the major pizza brands across the US, Canada and Mexico.

Here are several links on our website that offer general information:
lloydpans.com/coatings.aspx
Click on the "What is PSTK" button:
lloydpans.com/SearchByCategory.aspx?CategoryCode=Deep_Dish_Stacking

For durability, check out the video at the bottom of the home page. lloydpans.com

Thanks for your interest.

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 02:28:10 PM »
Hello Everyone;
I've just about given up on my search (via google, ebay, etc) for                20" deep dish pizza pans.  You folks are my last hope.  I am really hopeful that
with all the experience on this site that someone will be able to tell me
where I can purchase 20" x 2" deep dish pizza pans.  I have found a couple of places that carry them, but refuse to break a case...I need 3, would be willing to purchase 5, but a case is just too much.  Any help is definitely appreciated.
Buffalo

Offline Art

• la pizza θ la mia vita!!
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 03:39:23 PM »
Hello Everyone;
I've just about given up on my search (via google, ebay, etc) for                20" deep dish pizza pans.  You folks are my last hope.  I am really hopeful that
with all the experience on this site that someone will be able to tell me
where I can purchase 20" x 2" deep dish pizza pans.  I have found a couple of places that carry them, but refuse to break a case...I need 3, would be willing to purchase 5, but a case is just too much.  Any help is definitely appreciated.
Buffalo

The biggest I can find as a single purchase is an 18".    http://www.northernpizzaequipment.com/18stackablepan.html
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 04:12:04 PM »
Buffalo,

The only 20" deep dish I could find is here:

http://search.ablekitchen.com/?Search=20%22+pizza+pan&Search.x=0&Search.y=0&_oskwdid=1761465&gclid=CL_G2piW65UCFSAUagodlUoYew

The catch is, though, you'd have to buy in bulk. But perhaps they have some older discontinued models that they could sell to you. Can't hurt to send them an e-mail. Maybe they grant you an exception and just sell you one.

Good luck.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Buffalo

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2008, 09:32:15 PM »
Essen1;
Have tried both stores (they were in my original search), but no luck.
I do thank you for your efforts...never realized 20" x 2" pans would be so
difficult to purchase.
Buffalo

Offline mykall

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2008, 09:48:16 PM »
lloydrep,

Thanks for the info.  I ordered two pans from lloydpans.com, just plain aluminum for another reason.  I've been through the kitchen stores etc and it's hard to find quality. 

Offline NYKnicks

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2008, 01:34:06 PM »
I'm probably being ignorant, but do they use and make large cast iron deep dish pans for Chicago deep dish pizza? I always get my small pizza in one at UNOs, so I figured there must be something special about it and was hoping to re-create the pizzas on a larger scale. I use a non-stick pan now at 450 degrees for 25 minutes, but would like a darker crust and maybe some more flavor from a well-seasoned cast iron pan, if possible.

Any advice or recommendations for Santa much appreciated!

Mike
“There's a pizza place near where I live that sells only slices. In the back you can see a guy tossing a triangle in the air.” - Stephen Wright

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2008, 02:27:48 PM »
Mike,

There is such a thing as a cast iron pan for pizza, as noted, for example at
http://www.campchef.com/catalog/item/6/97/0/CIPZ14/220/Cast+Iron+Pizza+Pan.html and https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/product1_new.asp?menu=prologic&idProduct=3984, but I have not seen any such pans that are deep enough (at least 1 1/2"-2" deep) for a typical deep-dish pizza. Most people just use a cast iron skillet that is normally used for other purposes but suitable for deep-dish pizza.

Peter

Offline NYKnicks

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2008, 03:01:36 PM »
Thanks, Pete! What type of pan do you use? My wife just got me the Chicago Metallic Pro 14", but I wanted to make sure I have the right pan to make the most authentic Chicago pizzas.

Mike
“There's a pizza place near where I live that sells only slices. In the back you can see a guy tossing a triangle in the air.” - Stephen Wright

pizzapan