Author Topic: Deep Dish Pizza Pans  (Read 11943 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Deep Dish Pizza Pans
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2008, 04:05:30 PM »
Mike,

I discussed deep-dish pans in general, as well as the ones I have used, at Reply 2 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5780.msg49105.html#msg49105. I also have a 12" x 2.25" PSTK deep-dish pizza pan that I did not specifically mention in that reply; it is from pizzatools.com/lloydpans.com, at http://www.lloydpans.com/SearchByCategory.aspx?CategoryCode=Deep_Dish_Stacking.

Peter

Offline bennychuck

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 10:38:51 AM »
Mike,

I discussed deep-dish pans in general, as well as the ones I have used, at Reply 2 at . I also have a 12" x 2.25" PSTK deep-dish pizza pan that I did not specifically mention in that reply; it is from pizzatools.com/lloydpans.com, at .

Peter

I also have a couple of those 12" PSTK deep dish pans.  I like to add a lubricant of some kind to the pan for some extra flavor when cooking my pizzas, but the problem is that a lot of recipes call for adding olive oil to the pan, and the PSTK explicitly advises against using olive oil.  Is this just for the first few uses of the pan, or permanently?  Has anyone tried using olive oil in a PSTK pan and had any problems?  I just feel like it would add more flavor than the melted butter I've been using as an alternative.  

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 11:46:51 AM »
bennychuck,

I recalled that there was some discussion at the pizzatools/Lloyd Products website about the use of oils in the PSTK pans but when I tried to find the specifics at the Lloyd Pans website, I couldn't get the links in the FAQ section to work. So, I called Lloyd and spoke to one of their customer service personnel. From what I was told, oils can be used in the PSTK pans but it is recommended that soy-based oils not be used because such oils appear to interact with their coatings and can cause crusts to stick to the pans. But canola oil and olive oil are fine. Most so-called vegetable oils and salad oils are soybean oil, so one should check the label on the container of the oil to be sure that it is not soy-based. When I asked whether the pans could take using a lot of oil, as much as a half a cup, such as is commonly used to make pan pizzas with a bottom crust that is essentially "fried" (e.g., Pizza Hut type pan pizzas), I was told that that was OK. The Lloyd customer service rep suggested that one try making a test pizza without any oil in the pan to see if the results are satisfactory before deciding to use oil in the pan. I didn't think to ask whether butter or margarine can be used in lieu of oils, so one may want to make a test pizza or two to see how well those fats work in the PSTK pans.

Peter

Offline bennychuck

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 11:55:48 AM »
peter, thanks for going above and beyond!  while i haven't tried making a pizza without any kind of fat in the pan, i can tell you that i do get pretty decent results from using butter in the pstk pans.  i've been wanting to try using some olive oil in them for a while, but was concerned because of the information you get on this page with regard to the pstk finish:

lloydpans.com/images/PSTK_new_beautymark.pdf

this information was also included with the pans, and as a result, i've been reluctant to use olive oil.  i'll give it a try next time and see what happens.  i've also used these pans a lot in the last year or so, and these things are pretty resilient.  they look the same now as they did when i first got them in the mail. 

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 11:56:58 AM »
Peter,

I didn't think to ask whether butter or margarine can be used in lieu of oils, so one may want to make a test pizza or two to see how well those fats work in the PSTK pans.

Margarine is usually made from soybean oil.  You could almost exclude margarine by default if soybean oil is supposed to be avoided.

- red.november

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2009, 12:27:08 PM »
bennychuck,

Here is the complete URL: http://www.lloydpans.com/images/PSTK_new_beautymark.pdf.

I have sensed for some time that there were issues surrounding the use of oils with the PSTK pans because of statements about eliminating "messy, smoky oiling before first use" or requiring "little or no oil between bakes" (why is the word "little" used?). It does not appear that the pans are harmed by the use of oils so I would just try using different oils as called for by recipes and see what results you get. I forgot to mention in my last post that the person I spoke with today at Lloyd did mention using a Pam spray.

Peter

Offline lloydrep

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2009, 01:09:46 PM »
I would like to comment here as a Lloyd representative (transparency is always best!). Your comments here have caused us to review our PSTK information sheet and will be clarifying our recommendations in it. Our information is often geared towards commercial applications of our products and when simplified can be confusing.

The recommendations about not using soy-based oils is because they are not a very good release agents and they tend to create a sticky residue with continued use over time. This is true with any pan. All oils are safe to use with our PSTK pans, nothing "reacts" with them. The statement about not using olive oil is more for commercial considerations. It is safe to use with PSTK pans. Butter or margarine as well is safe to use with PSTK although butter is preferable because of the soy oil often contained in margarine.

In a commercial setting, pans that are not pre-seasoned must first be seasoned and this typically involves coating them with oil and baking them, sometimes several times. This is where our statement about eliminating "messy, smoky oiling before first use" comes from. And the text about "little or no oil between bakes" depends entirely on the recipe used. For instance some non-traditional pizzas like desert pizzas may have a lot of sugar and this kind of recipe may require some oiling. Also we have had one instance of sticking from a gluten-free recipe a customer is developing. So our statements must cover quite a variety of uses.

We will be updating our information about the care and use of PSTK pans soon and I will post that update here. We really appreciate the questioning about our products as we try incredibly hard to make the best pans available. We also appreciate the favorable comments in some posts.

Robert

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2009, 01:56:04 PM »
Thanks Robert, I recently purchased the Cutter pan and deep dish PSTK from you and I posted the exact samre question with regard to using oils specifically olive oil I did use olive oil first time and everything worked out , and Came out (of the pan ) fine! :)
Love these new cutter pans an recommend your site often.
Are you at the NY Pizza show? are there tickets available ?
Thank you again
John C
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline MWTC

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2009, 03:25:38 PM »
PSTK Pans, Great product. Love them!!!! 

;D

Offline lloydrep

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2009, 03:38:37 PM »
Since the topic is Deep Dish Pizza Pans, I would love to hear any comments, additions, pointing out gross errors...anything about a web page we have put up about Deep Dish Pizza. I know there are many similar pages on the web but we wanted to have one factual source on our site so that customers could both know the differences in styles and be able to select the right pans.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. You might want to email me or use the comment form on that page instead of posting here to spare the forum of commercial related posts.

www.lloydpans.com/deep-dish-pizza.aspx

Robert

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2009, 04:20:36 PM »
Robert,

Since the topic is Deep Dish Pizza Pans, I would love to hear any comments, additions, pointing out gross errors...anything about a web page we have put up about Deep Dish Pizza. I know there are many similar pages on the web but we wanted to have one factual source on our site so that customers could both know the differences in styles and be able to select the right pans.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated. You might want to email me or use the comment form on that page instead of posting here to spare the forum of commercial related posts.

www.lloydpans.com/deep-dish-pizza.aspx

Chicago Metallic's comparable product is their hard anodized aluminum (Bakalon) pan which can be seen here, http://www.focuspg.com/catalog.cfm?dest=itempg&itemid=1633&secid=17&linkon=category&linkid=26 and here http://www.akitchen.com/store/product221.html

Also, how sure are you Chicago Metallic's other pan (the one you linked to Amazon) uses SilverStone?  I've seen descriptions include ILAFLON for many of their products.  What I wonder is if they're in the middle of a transition from SilverStone to ILAFLON since the later appears to be a newer coating technology from ILAG.  An inquiry may be necessary.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2009, 05:12:06 PM »
What Gauge are the chicago metallic? I have 2 of these Allied deep dish (14G) with a black buster finish, any comments or comparisons on that coating ? http://www.alliedmetalusa.com/catalog.cfm/ses_/mc,list,x,1,70,x,x,x,x/Pizza%20%26amp%3B%20Baking%20Pans/
thanks
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com