Author Topic: Any Thoughts on Fornobravo Primavera  (Read 8035 times)

Offline Brianone

Any Thoughts on Fornobravo Primavera
« on: September 16, 2008, 12:23:54 PM »

For a relative beginnier who is interested in trying wood fired ovens.  Will this turn out a decent pizza? I won't be as obsessed [meant in a good way] as most people on this forum.  But we want to be able to bake a good pie.  Is it too small to be practical?  It is nice because of relatively low cost and can be moved if necessary.  All comments are appreciated.

Offline Pizza_Not_War

Re: Any Thoughts on Fornobravo Primavera
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 12:39:02 PM »
You should provide a link so others can find it fast: http://www.fornobravo.com/residential_pizza_oven/beehive_oven.html

I think you can work with that size as long as you are baking small pizza's. Seems a bit pricey... If you are handy then you could build your own larger oven for those $$$... Also take a look at the 2stone (search the forum here for 2stone info). It is a great alternative for pizza making at much less money. Then when you become the expert you can go for the big WFO.

PNW

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 01:01:18 PM »
You should provide a link so others can find it fast: http://www.fornobravo.com/residential_pizza_oven/beehive_oven.html

Newbies can't include links (anti-spam feature).

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 03:21:53 PM »
Newbies can't include links (anti-spam feature).
oops! forgot about that.

Brianone - You should ask them how hot the oven can get. At one spot in the Forno website they say "Bakes authentic 90-second Vera Pizza Napoletana. " and when you dial down into the detail they talk about 700+F and 2-3 minute pizza. Which is it? If you can get 800+F and maintain it, then I think the oven has more value - at least to me it would.

I have been on a quest to do an indoor WFO but due to space restraints I have held off. For outdoors the 2stone is fine for my needs.

PNW

Offline pcampbell

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 04:10:57 PM »
What a neat little oven but 2000 bucks, man.   Plus I am sure shipping is another 500 bucks.   Looks like a very high dome.  I would say you try to build one yourself first!   
Patrick

Offline PizzaMano

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 02:38:07 AM »
I see the benefit of wooden oven however i found gourmetpizzaexpress.com which has electric oven for 120V and 220V which can get up to 806F I think it worth a try. did any body hear about it?

Offline uk1

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 02:11:14 PM »
I have a Portugese oven sold in the UK as a Beehive Oven.  It's a great all rounder and has a large front opening which means you can add inside staging.  So it's both a good pizza oven and useful for other mediteranean style cooking.

Not allowed to post a link but I see alfresco imports sells a similar oven in the US.  In the uk there are two sizes - we have the larger one.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 02:21:03 PM »
uk1,

Here is the link: http://www.alfrescoimports.com/

I've seen this style of oven advertised in several places. One of the things that concerns me is the large opening which you cite as an advantage. Don't you lose a lot of heat through it? Does it retain enough heat so that you can bake multiple batches at high-temps? Do you have an IR gun so that you can measure the temp of the deck before and then after the first pie has baked? Thanks.

Bill/SFNM

Offline uk1

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 03:21:16 AM »
It's supplied with a large wooden door with metal on the inside of the door.  The walls are thick and I think have some sort of isnulation between outer and inner terracotta skin but I cannot be sure. It retains the heat well.  Unluckily it's winter here and the next time I could take temperatures is some months away - but I only have a standard oven thermometer.

Offline Jraducha

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 09:38:31 PM »
I have the Forno Bravo Primavera oven and love it.  check it out at http://www.jraducha.com/JraduchaWorld/Blog/Blog.html
Look in the archives.  I have more pictures in there.....

Offline Jraducha

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 09:40:22 PM »
oops! forgot about that.

Brianone - You should ask them how hot the oven can get. At one spot in the Forno website they say "Bakes authentic 90-second Vera Pizza Napoletana. " and when you dial down into the detail they talk about 700+F and 2-3 minute pizza. Which is it? If you can get 800+F and maintain it, then I think the oven has more value - at least to me it would.

I have been on a quest to do an indoor WFO but due to space restraints I have held off. For outdoors the 2stone is fine for my needs.

PNW

You can keep it at 800 degrees no problem.  I make 90 min pies all the time..but let it cool off and do 3 pizzas at a time, and they take about 4 minutes.

Offline Brianone

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 10:17:23 PM »
You can keep it at 800 degrees no problem.  I make 90 min pies all the time..but let it cool off and do 3 pizzas at a time, and they take about 4 minutes.

Would you post some pics of pizzas cooking and pizzas cooked in the oven? 

How long does it take to get the oven to 800?

thanks

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 10:49:24 PM »
I would go for it they look like  a cool little oven hey whats 2 gran? Where I buy my grandmas they are $20 buck so thats only 100 pies?
I do like 25 + at many parties we have You can allways get some type of return on resale ( prob most) if you want to upgrade and build one ( which IMOO) you will, and by that time youll have spent countless hrs here Figuring out  what is best for you.  I have a friend who may be going this route and I am encouraging him to do so I could not have built mine for that even with the cheap (me) labor.
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline fredhipp

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 10:05:01 AM »
I have the Forno Bravo Primavera oven and love it.

I have the oven as well and really like it!.  What size wood are you using; length and diameter?  Floor space, as you know, is limited.  I am pushing the fire to the side after about 45 minutes, but still have trouble getting/keeping the floor temperature high enough over the entire working part of the floor.

Offline Jraducha

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 05:19:54 AM »
I have the oven as well and really like it!.  What size wood are you using; length and diameter?  Floor space, as you know, is limited.  I am pushing the fire to the side after about 45 minutes, but still have trouble getting/keeping the floor temperature high enough over the entire working part of the floor.

I am using small pieces of wood, they are a mixture of citrus and pecan.  Dont use oak in the primavera I find that it burns too hot.  The size of the wood, would be about 2-3 inch diameter and 12 or less inches long.   I can cook in the oven after about 45 min of heat up time.  What type of wood are you using?

Here is what my fires are looking like...
http://www.jraducha.com/JraduchaWorld/Blog/Entries/2009/1/16_sit_back_and_enjoy_the_show.html

Offline fredhipp

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 08:46:30 AM »
I am using primarily oak.  It does burn fairly hot, but I am maintaining 900 degree dome and 700 degree floor temperatures.  I start with a large, center fire and then feed it a 2" log about every 20 minutes to maintain live fire heat.