Author Topic: Anyone use Dakota Maid bread flour?  (Read 144 times)

Offline Sherlock

• I Love Pizza!
Anyone use Dakota Maid bread flour?
« on: July 30, 2014, 01:31:33 PM »
Has anyone seen/used/tried Dakota Maid Bread flour? Or know its gluten content, i did a bunch of googling and all i could find is what the label told me. Its cheaper than gold medal better for bread, which is what I ended up buying given that i could actually find a gluten percentage for it.

any thoughts?

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Anyone use Dakota Maid bread flour?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 01:39:09 PM »
Most manufacturers of flour sold in the US don't provide much in the way of specs for their products. Knowing the protein % tell you one thing about the flour - the protein %. It doesn't tell you anything about the quality of the protein or the flour itself.

I would tell anyone who asks about flour the same thing: most people will make better pizza if the worried less about the flour and more about good technique. I doubt there is anything that slows down the process of learning to make good pizza more than worrying about the choice of flour.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline vtsteve

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 12:05:40 AM »
I believe that Dakota Maid bread flour is the consumer packaging for North Dakota Mill's "Millers Choice", which would put it right around 12.6% - treat it like KA bread flour. I'm working through a bag of Millers Choice right now; then it's back to Full Strength for me! Even the unbromated Full Strength gave me a smoother dough... but my supplier only carries the bromated now :).

Heh, the spell checker wants to change 'unbromated' to 'inebriated', and I'm only on my first drink  :o.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 08:59:50 AM »
Heh, the spell checker wants to change 'unbromated' to 'inebriated', and I'm only on my first drink  :o.
Steve,

Spell check high-gluten in a post and you will get highfalutin  :-D,

Peter

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 10:55:47 AM »
Steve,

Spell check high-gluten in a post and you will get highfalutin  :-D,

Peter

Some years ago, I sent an email to a customer telling them they could pick up their order at our Houston warehouse. I misspelled warehouse. I bet you can guess what spell check changed it to... the customer was a female and it was a bit embarrassing.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline trblaze

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 07:49:52 PM »
I've used it and liked it,  alittle too much spring back... but had a good taste to me.   You could try pabsey as he uses it in his pizzeria and ask more about it with him. 

pizzapan