Author Topic: Anyone use Dakota Maid bread flour?  (Read 799 times)

Offline Sherlock

• I Love Pizza!
Anyone use Dakota Maid bread flour?
« on: July 30, 2014, 01:31:33 PM »
Has anyone seen/used/tried Dakota Maid Bread flour? Or know its gluten content, i did a bunch of googling and all i could find is what the label told me. Its cheaper than gold medal better for bread, which is what I ended up buying given that i could actually find a gluten percentage for it.

any thoughts?

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Anyone use Dakota Maid bread flour?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 01:39:09 PM »
Most manufacturers of flour sold in the US don't provide much in the way of specs for their products. Knowing the protein % tell you one thing about the flour - the protein %. It doesn't tell you anything about the quality of the protein or the flour itself.

I would tell anyone who asks about flour the same thing: most people will make better pizza if the worried less about the flour and more about good technique. I doubt there is anything that slows down the process of learning to make good pizza more than worrying about the choice of flour.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 12:05:40 AM »
I believe that Dakota Maid bread flour is the consumer packaging for North Dakota Mill's "Millers Choice", which would put it right around 12.6% - treat it like KA bread flour. I'm working through a bag of Millers Choice right now; then it's back to Full Strength for me! Even the unbromated Full Strength gave me a smoother dough... but my supplier only carries the bromated now :).

Heh, the spell checker wants to change 'unbromated' to 'inebriated', and I'm only on my first drink  :o.
In grams we trust.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 08:59:50 AM »
Heh, the spell checker wants to change 'unbromated' to 'inebriated', and I'm only on my first drink  :o.
Steve,

Spell check high-gluten in a post and you will get highfalutin  :-D,

Peter

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 10:55:47 AM »
Steve,

Spell check high-gluten in a post and you will get highfalutin  :-D,

Peter

Some years ago, I sent an email to a customer telling them they could pick up their order at our Houston warehouse. I misspelled warehouse. I bet you can guess what spell check changed it to... the customer was a female and it was a bit embarrassing.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline trblaze

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 07:49:52 PM »
I've used it and liked it,  alittle too much spring back... but had a good taste to me.   You could try pabsey as he uses it in his pizzeria and ask more about it with him.