Author Topic: Caputo Red? New bag  (Read 11027 times)

Online pizzaboyfan

Re: Caputo Red? New bag
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »
The 2 flours I have been using are the 1 lb.Red Chef's and the 55 lb. Blue w the picture of Pizza and Vesuvio

I repeat.
No way in the world are these the same.
I'd be happy to send a sample of each and you can tell within an instant of adding water how different they are

Offline shango

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 02:10:03 PM »
The 55# pizzeria flour is in bag that has two layers of paper, the exterior with the printing on it, and the interior brown paper. The pizzeria bag also has a blue plastic lining on the top of the bag.  The small chef bag is a single layer of a different white paper.

I have noticed that the chef isn't capable of absorbing as much water.  I would blame it on the packaging allowing the flour to absorb water out of the air more easily than the double blue bag.

Just a guess.  other than the absorption issue, they seem exactly the same to me.
pizza, pizza, pizza

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2013, 05:18:19 AM »
I'm dragging this old thread up because I was trying to figure out which Caputo to buy. 

According to Fred, the retail 1kg Chef flour in the red bag is the same as the 25 kg Pizzaria blue bag.  But when I go to the Caputo website and open their respective data sheets, the 1 kg Chef flour inthe red bag shows 13.5% protein and the 25kg Pizzaria blue bag shows 12.75% protein.   

I have a couple of the 1 kg Chef flour red bags and I noted the didn't produce particularly tender NP crumb. I am not experienced enough to say whether it's my techniques or the flour.

Craig? 

Offline StoneCut

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2013, 06:24:46 AM »
Here's some info I got from a german wholesaler after I complained about their false advertising. They got in contact with Caputo and this is what they told me (with some comments of my own):
The red 1kg "Chef's flour" is NOT the same as the blue 25kg Pizzeria flour. As you noted the specs are different. In fact, the "Chef's flour" is more like the Rinforzato flour in the 25kg bags (but still not identical). This is not to say that this "Chef's Flour" is a bad Pizza flour, though - on the contrary. It just needs a longer maturation time because it's a stronger flour, I'd say that a 3-day dough would be the minimum for the red "Chef's Flour". The blue 1kg bags also are NOT identical to the blue 25kg - it's more of a general purpose Tipo 00 flour (that's why you see all sorts of products printed on the package, too). As far as I know the only way to get the "real" Pizzeria flour from the blue 25kg bags is to buy the blue 25kg "Pizzeria" bags. However, the "Chef's Flour" is indeed a good Pizza flour, it just needs a different treatment.

Offline Don Luigi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2013, 02:10:36 AM »
Interesting! I guess you contacted gustini, where I am also buying all my pizza ingredients. I've been using the Blue 1 Kg Bags for my latest Pies and I am very satisified. Very light and soft taste and great workability of the dough. Original "Pizzeria" or not - it's an excellent flour nonetheless. I'll test the "Chef's Flour" next...

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2013, 09:15:06 AM »
See reply #7 from the U.S. Caputo distributor.   http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,27399.0.html

Apparently there is not an identical flour to the 25 kg Pizzaria blue bag in a retail size except for repackaging by retailers.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 10:43:59 AM by bbqchuck »