Author Topic: Caputo Red? New bag  (Read 11108 times)

Offline gabriel

• I Love Pizza!
Caputo Red? New bag
« on: September 19, 2008, 04:51:10 PM »
Hi everyone,

I got a shipment from Penn Mac today. I ordered the Caputo 00 pizzeria flour, which they list on their website (the 2.2lb individual bags). I usually got the blue bag (http://lacuisineus.com/catalog/images/caputo00.jpg), but I received a red bag, which I haven't seen before.

Anyone know if the flour is different?
A photo of this new bag is attached.
Thanks!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Caputo Red? New bag
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 05:11:13 PM »
gabriel,

Essen1 (Mike) mentioned this flour to me recently, which prompted me to email Fred Mortati at Orlando Foods, the U.S. importer of the Caputo flours, to get more information on the flour. The reply I received (yesterday) from Fred is as follows:

It is the pizzeria flour.  We call it chef's flour for marketing purposes.
12.5% protein.

I was wondering whether PennMac would still offer the Caputo Pizzeria 00 flour in small, repackaged bags. It appears from your receipt of the The Chef's Flour that they may no longer offer the repackaged product.

Peter

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 05:16:09 PM »
The blue-bag you link to (http://lacuisineus.com/catalog/images/caputo00.jpg) is NOT pizzeria flour. 

Offline gabriel

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 05:21:25 PM »
Thanks very much for your reply, Peter.

As for your insight, Bill...I can already tell that you are correct, because I just made some dough, and this proper pizzeria flour has an extraordinary texture.

I do believe Penn Mac still offers the 5lb repackaged Caputo 00 pizzeria. I just checked, and they have replaced the blue 2.2lb bag photo with the red one.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 05:26:27 PM »
gabriel,

The lacuisineus.com link you provided is for the Caputo Extra Blu 00 flour. However, lacuisineus.com does carry the Caputo Red (Rosso), at http://lacuisineus.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1146.

Peter
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 10:51:13 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 05:51:49 PM »
Pennmac does still sell the 5lb bags. I just ordered two a couple of days ago, together with two bags of the Chef's flour. I didn't know then that it was the same stuff until Peter got the reply from Fred Mortati.

Forgot to mention that Sur La Table also sells the Chef's Flour:

http://www.surlatable.com/product/antimo+caputo+italian+flour.do?search=basic&keyword=flour&sortby=gsa&asc=true&page=1
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 06:01:07 PM by Essen1 »
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 06:05:35 PM »
Mike,

It may be that PennMac is phasing out the repackaged bags. It doesn't make a lot of sense to continue to offer that product when they have the new one kilo bags.

Peter

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 06:09:04 PM »
Peter,

That could very well be the reason.

I have a hunch that maybe, just maybe, the demand for Caputo 00 Pizzeria has gone up here in the US and that it hopefully will also hit the shelves of your local supermarkets, but I guess that's just wishful thinking for now.  :chef:
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline jjerrier2450

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2008, 10:36:10 PM »
Our GM, who is from Naples, called to tell me that Caputo 00 was on the shelves of Central Market here in Dallas - the one at Coit & George Bush for any locals.  I didn't ask him what color, but will try and swing by and see...Central Market is kind of a Texas version of Whole Foods (although we have that too...).

Jay

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 01:14:02 AM »
JJerrier,

I'm sure it's the Caputo Blue, since that's the most widely available flour at selected grocery stores.

But sometimes the unexpected happens and you might get lucky, you never know. It would definitely beat paying the shipping charges, if you can buy it locally.

Keep us posted...
Mike

Offline JimmyMak

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 09:16:31 AM »
This is the caputo I use & I like it alot.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 11:43:44 PM »
I got this stuff yesterday.

2  5lb bags Caputo Pizzeria

2  2.2lb bags Antimo Chef's Flour

1 package of SAF yeast

That should last me throughout the winter. Well, here in SF I should probably say "Rain season"  ;D

Mike

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 11:08:30 PM »
I just received a new 25kg bag of Caputo 00 Pizzeria Flour in the traditional blue bag. It is interesting to note that the Caputo web site in Naples shows three separate pizza flours:

- 00 Pizzeria (blue bag 25 & 50 kg)
- 00 Pizzaiuolo (red bag 10kg)
- 00 Chef (red bag 1 kg)

Based on the descriptions, I suspect the two red bags are the same flour, but are NOT the same as the traditional Neapolitan-style pizzeria flour in the blue bag.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 11:12:19 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 08:50:34 AM »
Bill,

Shortly after you posted last night, I sent an email to Fred Mortati at Orlando Foods asking for clarification on the three Caputo products you referenced. I included a link to your post as an example of the confusion that has arisen on this matter. This morning, I received the following reply from Fred, which he asked me to share with the members:

Thanks for the link, I saw the posts and now understand the confusion. Here is the situation: All three products are the same. Reason for the packaging differences are as follows:

00 Pizzeria 25kg blue bag is for Foodservice. It has been the face of the Caputo brand for pizza and will remain so.

00 Pizzaiuolo 10kg is a package that Antimo Caputo uses in Italy for a certain segment of his trade. Exactly why he went with red I am not sure. We bring in this 10kg bag to give out only as samples, not for sale.

00 Chefs Flour 1kg red bag. This bag is strictly retail. We redesigned the bag to be more appealing to the consumer and to have some English description that would allow a consumer to understand that it is more than just an “all purpose” flour.  In fact, Antimo and I have been looking at changing the graphic on the front of this package. The picture of the pizza on front gives the idea that it is only good for pizza, whereas this product is versatile and good for bread and pasta as well. We are going to change the picture to one that encompasses these other items as well, leaving the description the same and the flour in the bag the same. We want to start working on a retail presence so this will be a starting point.

Hope this explains some…

Please post some of this info to answer the questions raised.

Peter

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 09:04:34 AM »
Thank you so much for the clarification, Peter. Their marketing rationale makes sense, since I have found ways to use the pizzeria flour for things other than pizzas - not because it excels for other uses, but because I always have leftover pizza dough balls.

BTW, if Fred is reading: you might suggest Caputo find someone to do a better translation for the English ("tradition roasting dishes")

Bill/SFNM 

« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 09:06:56 AM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline pizzaboyfan

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2009, 11:26:03 AM »
There must be some communication problem along the way..and it might be on my end,but there is no way in the world that the Blue and the Red are the same product.
I am almost through my 55 lb bag of blue and working on my 5 th or 6 th bag of red.
They mix up differently and cook and taste differently
Both excellent, but different.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 11:34:33 AM »
pizzaboyfan,

Which "red" Caputo are you using?

Peter

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 11:36:44 AM »
There must be some communication problem along the way..and it might be on my end,but there is no way in the world that the Blue and the Red are the same product.
I am almost through my 55 lb bag of blue and working on my 5 th or 6 th bag of red.
They mix up differently and cook and taste differently
Both excellent, but different.

Caputo has more than one blue and red colored bag style. Can you post photos of the blue and red to which you are referring?

« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 11:38:26 AM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline pizzaboyfan

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 05:22:06 PM »
pizzaboyfan,

Which "red" Caputo are you using?

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 12:35:55 PM »
I don't know if this will help clarify matters but last night I went back to Fred Mortati with pizzaboyfan's observations and this morning got back the following reply from Fred:

I think I understand. The Blue bag in the picture under the post which is questioning the similarity of product is the 00 Extra blue. This is an all purpose bread flour. Furthermore there once existed a blue 1kg bag which had this same flour. Here is where all the confusion started. The new 1kg bag which is red has the PIZZERIA flour (12.5-13% protein) in it. The 00 Pizzeria flour 25 kg is a darker blue bag w picture of pizza and Mt Vesuvio on front and word “Pizzeria”.

Let me try to make it even simpler:
Under Bill/SFNM post reply #12 on 3/25 there are 3 pictures: 00 Pizzeria 25kg, 00 Pizzaiuolo 10kg and 00 Chef Flour – these are all THE SAME item.

Under Bill/SFNM post #17 yesterday, please note that the blue bag in the picture is NOT PIZZERIA FLOUR. It is 00 Extra. Anyone using this will see a HUGE difference between the Pizzeria 25kg or Red 1kg and this product. 

I really hope this helps.  Please make sure the guys understand that the PIZZERIA flour and the CHEFS Flour are the same item.

Peter

pizzapan