Author Topic: Pizza Margarita  (Read 4299 times)

Offline JF_Aidan_Pryde

• Supporting Member
Pizza Margarita
« on: January 06, 2005, 05:25:23 AM »
I've always been fascinated by the Margarita.

It's simple, beautiful and impossible to cheat. If your dough, cheese or sauce isn't top notch, this pizza will taste most bland. Having finally gotten the hang of hand kneading dough and Steve's two stone method, I've decided to have another attempt at making an authentic Margarita.

Below is tonight's effort. Made from 11% protein general purpose flour (ran out of 00), local Australian buffalo mozerella and fresh basil. Cooked on two stones, the bottom stone on the second lowest rack and the top stone at the highest rack. 3 minutes on bottom and 100 seconds on the top stone with broil.

The taste was marvelous. The bottom crust was seriously tanned with black spots, much like a pizzeria. The bite was light crisp but with ample softly textured areas to enjoy. The cheese melted well without releasing liquid. The taste was milky with a meaty texture without being rubbery. The basil lacked some fire and didn't crispen. Maybe I should oil it more directly next time. All in all, I had a great time.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 05:41:32 AM by JF_Aidan_Pryde »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Pizza Margarita
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 11:05:03 AM »
Great job and a great looking pizza.  I can vividly remember the first pizza Margherita I made--using 00 flour, mozzarella di bufala, San Marzano tomatoes, fresh basil and olive oil--and it was exquisite.  It became my benchmark for that style of pizza.

When you went to the all-purpose flour did you change your recipe?  When I have tried the all-purpose flour for Margherita pizzas (the last time was using the Peter Reinhart recipe from his book American Pie), the results were different than when I used the 00 flour and not as good in my opinion.  Almost all the pizza Margherita recipes that I have seen in U.S. pizza cookbooks call for all-purpose flour rather than imported 00 flour.  It's not just the protein content.  The Caputo 00 flour, which is widely used in Italy, has 11.5-12.5% protein, yet it produces a significantly different result than all-purpose flour.  The chief pizza maker at Naples 45 in NYC, which specializes in authentic Neapolitan pizzas and uses the Caputo flour, told me over the past Thanksgiving that the difference is in the way Italian 00 flours are milled vis a vis the way flours are milled in the U.S.  When you replenish your 00 flour, I'd be interested in seeing whether you get better overall results using the 00 flour.

What kind of tomatoes are available to you for pizzas in Australia?  The classic tomato for pizza Margheritas is the San Marzano, from the region around Naples. 

To avoid the blackening of the basil, which is unavoidable from your baking technique, I often put the basil on the pizza after it has baked.  The heat of the pizza is enough to cause the basil to wilt and the basil will retain its color and freshness of taste better.  I sometimes also put a bit more olive oil on the pizza after baking, also for added freshness and for its nice flavor.

Peter

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 02:00:34 PM »
Now that is pizza! :)

Beautiful.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 02:42:31 PM »
yeah that pizza is indeed awesome  ;D
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.