Author Topic: random questions..(Cheese on Thin Crust....Roofed Deep Dish)  (Read 1883 times)

Offline Witt

• Former Chicago Resident
random questions..(Cheese on Thin Crust....Roofed Deep Dish)
« on: September 24, 2008, 03:28:36 PM »
Hey folks..once again..great forum here.

As a person who has made no less than 100 deep dish pies..good and bad.. ;)    I'm trying to get into making a good 16-inch, thin crust pie like you'd find at many of the south side bars and pizzerias....cut in squares....u know the deal.  Anyway, any thoughts on how much cheese (ounces) to put on a 16-inch thin crust?  Also, exactly what sauce to use..

Other stupid random question....does anyone have a clear cut recipe for the roofed deep dish (Giordonos..sp?) style pizza..14 inch in size?  I'd love to make one..or at least give it a good try.  (When I say roofed I mean a layer of dough over the top..with all toppings except for the sauce on the inside....like a deep dish with a roof)

Later..and thanks again. 

(any links would be greatly appreciated)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 03:35:36 PM by Witt »

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Re: random questions..(Cheese on Thin Crust....Roofed Deep Dish)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 03:42:23 PM »
(When I say roofed I mean a layer of dough over the top..with all toppings except for the sauce on the inside....like a deep dish with a roof)

You'll probably go farther in searches and in questioning by referring to it as a stuffed pizza, since that's the widely accepted term for that style of pizza.

Offline Witt

• Former Chicago Resident
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 05:29:54 PM »
November....thank you for correcting my syntax.. ::)  I didn't mention it as stuffed because I've found over the course of time that many people have a different idea of exactly what stuffed pizza is and often times it doesn't match up with these exact pizza that I described here.  Moving past that..I've seen people talk of this type of pizza on here before but I wasn't looking to check through literally every thread to find the newest and best recipe....instead I was hoping that someone "in the know" had it at quick reference. 

Once again..thanks for anyone who can help me out with this..looking to try and make one this coming weekend.

Offline loowaters

• Where's my knife and fork?
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 03:05:32 PM »
Witt, run a search from the top of the "Chicago Style" page for "stuffed".  You'll find all kinds of results.  I know that buzz's Giordano's recipe gets plenty of compliments but buzz doesn't make it with the top layer.  If you decide to go with his, up the dough recipe by 20-25% to make a thin top layer for the stuffed pie.

Good luck.

Loo
Using pizza to expand my waistline since 1969!

pizzapan