Author Topic: water treatment help  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
water treatment help
« on: August 08, 2008, 02:28:40 PM »
Ok

I'm looking into water treatment options that will have minimal affect on my pizza doughs but solve may MAJOR hard water build-up issue. ( in just 2 years nearly all my appliances are nearly destroyed.) I've ruled out sodium for obvious reasons and the ions due to the ash. I was checking out the gmx magnetic system but I'm not a chemist and don't understand how it will affect my yeast doughs. I'm hoping some of our chemists would take a stab at it.

articles are found here
http://www.softwatergmx.com/a_magnetized1.html
http://www.softwatergmx.com/a_magnetized2.html

Quotes from site:

One biologist suggests that the slightly reduced surface tension of the magnetically treated water may facilitate its penetration of cell walls. This could accelerate the normal dividing of the cells in growing parts of living individuals. This would account for the faster vegetative growth and the reduced reproductive cell division responsible for the number of flowers and fruit.

As for how magnets may reduce pool chemical requirements, consider that a sanitizer's primary duty is to kill algae. Magnet proponents suggest that a magnetic field can burst algae cell walls, killing the algae. (This idea has been challenged by chemists.) A second theory is that when a magnetic field clusters minerals, the clusters are too large for algae to feed on, so the algae dies of starvation. Third, magnet proponents theorize that reduced surface tension allows chlorine better access through algae's protective shield. None of these theories suggests that magnetic water treatment will totally eliminate the need for other algae control--only that magnetic devices reduce the amount of other water treatment products needed.

The accelerated growth of plants by the use of magnetically treat water is possible because the root tips secrete enzymes that dissolve crystals in the ground, enabling the roots to ingest the dissolved minerals. This is not the case for one-cell organisms that pollute pool water. Algae and bacteria have to ingest their food directly through their cell wall. They get plenty of water through it, but they cannot receive any nourishment in the form of crystallized minerals, which cannot penetrate the cell walls. Thus bacteria in magnetically treated water starve.*

Thanks!
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
Re: water treatment help
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 03:31:56 PM »
I was checking out the gmx magnetic system but I'm not a chemist and don't understand how it will affect my yeast doughs. I'm hoping some of our chemists would take a stab at it.

You should ask them if their systems come with a complimentary tin foil hat.

Offline Lydia

• Viddler
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 06:39:59 PM »
Sigh.... If only their claims were true, my problems would be solved.

If I get a water softener, I will then have to redo all my formulas to incorporate some addative I'm not sure I could even get acess to.

What I don't get is the AIB says to increase the salt in the formula to compensate for the soft water. I don't get it  ???
The roundest knight at King Arthur's round table was Sir Cumference.They say he acquired his size from eating too much pi.

Offline November

• Come for the food. Stay for the science.
    • Uncle Salmon
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 10:48:05 PM »
Sigh.... If only their claims were true, my problems would be solved.

If only their claims were true, we'd be living in a parallel universe.  Unfortunately magnetism, and more specifically in this case magnetohydrodynamics, is an area of science so underdeveloped through education in the minds of average people that it might as well be witchcraft.  Just as unfortunate is the opportunity hucksters take when they know something in science like magnetism isn't well understood by the general population.

What I don't get is the AIB says to increase the salt in the formula to compensate for the soft water. I don't get it  ???

Soft water means fewer dissolved minerals in the water.  Sodium chloride (table salt) is a mineral.  More salt, especially sea salt which contains more than just sodium chloride, means more dissolved minerals.

- red.november

Offline Rard

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 05:59:40 PM »
Lydia,
If you truly only have a hardness problem, a water softener will take care of the problem.  It doesn't add anything.  The media in the first tank removes the hardness, the salt in the brine tank is there to wash the media in the first tank, and goes down the drain.  If you have a taste and odor problem, perhaps a carbon filter will take care of it (placed after the softener).
Regardless, any water treatment person can test it for you.  Water tests are free.  They are trying to sell you the equipment.
If you don't want to fix all the water in your house, you can likely put in an undersink system for your drinking water.
Of course, there's always bottled water.

Offline Pizza Rustica

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 07:58:54 PM »
Lydia,

I don't know if this will help but her is a link to what is rumored to be a pretty good filteration system. I put one in my outdoor kitchen.

http://www.everpure.com/catalog/foodservice-copy.asp?type=Tab2&sub=cf
Russ

pizzapan