Author Topic: Pepperoni Taste Off  (Read 197 times)

Offline rparker

• Pizza....good! No pizza.... Bad!!!!
Pepperoni Taste Off
« on: August 24, 2015, 01:34:18 PM »
We had a couple friends up the street come down for a pepperoni taste test in the context of a pizza. I did the same assembly and bake on each of the 4 pies. The sole exception being the pepperoni used. The options were:
Ezzohttp://www.pennmac.com/items/3499//
Margherita  http://www.pennmac.com/items/354//margherita-natural-casing-dry-pepperoni-sticks
Hormel in big stick http://www.pennmac.com/items/356//hormel-long-pepperoni-stick
The standard grocery store bag of Hormel pepperoni.

And the outcome.
Ezzo - The winner if counting 1st place votes. Two of us recalled our north eastern heritage right away.
Hormel Big Stick: Meatier, middle of road spice. This got most 2nd place votes. 
Margherita: This one perplexed me. It will be on my next bake. I need to taste it again. I gave it high scores for a classic taste, but I thought it to be not quite spicy enough. It was 2nd for 1st place votes, but I might change my mind. it was much smaller in diameter and I probably did not use enough.
Hormel Grocery Store: The former #1 has fallen. Salty and missing that spicy, meaty flavor that made the other 3 pop put. Clear-cut last place.

It's fair to say that the pepperoni bar changing here. There was always a hint of a classic flavor with the grocery store Hormel for me, but it was clearly missing when we got to it. I think a universal, "but this pizza is somehow is still great" followed. The missing flavor could best be described as a spicy, sausage flavor. A flavor you'd expect out of a dry sausage. Perhaps that aspect was toned down for the grocery store version to satisfy the masses?   

One question for anyone watching. Is the Hormel Rosa Pepperoni available anywhere, or is that a name that's not used anymore? It was not on the stick that I got, but the rest of the package looked similar.

Maybe they should just make white T-shirts with pizza juice stains already on them.

Online TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Pepperoni Taste Off
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 01:56:15 PM »
Foodservice products, almost without exception, will beat retail their retail counterparts. Even if they are from the same manufacturer under the same brand and product name, it's not uncommon for the foodservice version to be a better formulation.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, commercial yeast when we must, but always great pizza."
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 03:29:52 PM »
Foodservice products, almost without exception, will beat retail their retail counterparts. Even if they are from the same manufacturer under the same brand and product name, it's not uncommon for the foodservice version to be a better formulation.

Have to agree. It's like night and day. The foodservice products I have had the chance to try were in an entire different ballpark than those at the retail level. Much better quality, whether it was cheese, pepperoni, tomatoes and what not.
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline invertedisdead

• Ryan
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 04:42:22 PM »
Is Saputo better than Frigo? Got some Frigo for a killer deal yesterday and noticed the Saputo labeling.

Offline rparker

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 08:31:31 PM »
I must agree with you guys so far based on what I've seen in cheese, flour and pepperoni.  :D
Maybe they should just make white T-shirts with pizza juice stains already on them.

Offline rparker

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 06:28:22 AM »
I'm open to other suggestions, too, btw. I've tried Saputo cheese from Penn Mac, but never the Pepperoni as mentioned earlier in the thread.

pizzapan