Author Topic: about my 6 in 1 tomato sauce  (Read 3653 times)

Offline Chet

about my 6 in 1 tomato sauce
« on: October 11, 2008, 10:43:01 AM »

I made pizza yesterday, I made the dough the day before and used 6 in 1 right out of the can, my wife says there was something missing in the sauce, we refrigerated the other half of sauce and will be making pizza again later today. what can I add to the sauce to try make it taste better, my wife wanted to simmer it with a bay leaf and try it, any comments,

this was my dough recipe, let me know what the group thinks of this recipe.

2 cups or 11oz high gluten flour
   3/4 cup of warm  105deg water
   1 teaspoon yeast
   1/2  teaspoon salt
   4  teaspoon  sugar
   1 teaspoon olive oil

I added all the ingredients in a bowl of the warm water and let it set a few minutes and mixed in the flour, and kneaded for 15 minutes.

the dough was better than my last trys, but I noticed the crust area was hollow in places and not full like some of the pizza parlor doughs. any comments on the dough recipe, I prebaked the shells for a few minutes and added the toppings I used Grande whole milk mozzeralla

thanks
       Chet

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Re: about my 6 in 1 tomato sauce
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 01:23:38 PM »
Regarding the sauce-It really depends what you like and what style pizza you're making. I like mine simple with just salt and some fresh basil. Sometimes I crack a clove of garlic and cook it in the sauce too. Whenever I hear that "something is missing" the first thing that comes to my mind is it needs salt.

Otherwise if you do a search you will see lots of sauce recipes.

Good Luck,

Jeff
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline BTB

Re: about my 6 in 1 tomato sauce
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 09:19:21 AM »
Chet, I've been using 6 in 1 based sauce for about 18 months now and all my pizza tasters say the sauce is the best.  My most recent sauce formulation includes some drained 6 in 1 sauce (careful not to drain too long . . . I drain just about 30-45 min. - and never, never pre-cook it) to which I add Penzeys pizza spices, minced garlic, white pepper, sea salt, ginger, a good dash of honey (key ingredient) and just a few pieces of small diced plum tomatoes (have tried various brands), then added a good amount of grated parmesan.  Sorry, I don't have exact amounts and am working on finalizing that, but just add "a little here . . . and a little there . . ." as rough measurements.  For Chicago Style pan pizzas, I drain the 6 in 1 a little longer (making the sauce a little thicker)and for thin crust pizzas I drain the 6 in 1 for just a very, very short period of time (sometimes not at all . . . depends on the quality of the can contents) and vary the spices for the thin crust sauce some more.  Enjoy   :P

pizzapan