Author Topic: Ok, Lets see some sauce Recipes  (Read 2459 times)

Offline LeeB

• I Love Pizza!
Ok, Lets see some sauce Recipes
« on: January 07, 2005, 09:13:32 AM »
I'm going to make the pizza dough tonight when I get home from work so it can ferment over night and will cook pizza's tomorrow.

I have been using the recipe "Margarita sauce" from the American Pie book and it's pretty good, but browsing this website I can see that using whole canned tomatos is the preferred method.  So how about you guys posting some of your sauce recipes so I can get some more direction as to what everyone else is doing. 

:)

Offline JF_Aidan_Pryde

• Supporting Member
Re: Ok, Lets see some sauce Recipes
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 09:40:02 AM »
I think getting a good sauce is non-trivial.

On one end is simplicity. Good, ripe tomatos are enough.

On the other is taste complexity. Here is where basil, garlic, oregano, thyme, pepper, cheese and olive oil come to play. I use to like spicy, herby sauces because I remember Pizza Hut having them. Not I'm not so sure.

I think it also depends on your pizza. It may be that the topping and sauce should take each other into consideration.

Currently my sauce is made from canned or crushed tomatos from Italy (I find the redness of the sauce as a good indicator of its quality), some chopped basil leaves, oregano flakes, salt and extra virgin olive oil. Some garlic brings in a lot of the flavour as well.

Offline LeeB

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 09:44:49 AM »
Any measurements or do you just do your ingredients on the fly?  Little of this little of that....

Offline JF_Aidan_Pryde

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 10:06:02 AM »
I mainly improvise but if I had to write it down, it would typically like:

2 cans of crushed tomatos
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
3 chopped basil leaves
1 tsp oregano flakes

Finely chopped garlic to taste. (I add more garlic to white pizza and tomato only pizza)

Salt and pepper to taste. (More salt for Margarita type pizzas with light topping and saltless cheese, pepper if you want more 'bite')

Apparently it's good to let the sauce stand for 30 minutes or so for the flavours to 'blend'. But Peter said a chef said not to put garlic in until the last minute as it'll turn bitter.  ??? Anyway, enjoy!  ;D

Offline LeeB

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2005, 11:45:17 AM »
Thanks, I hope some more of the members chime in, I would like to see some more variations.

Offline Gils

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2005, 02:27:12 PM »
Did you look at the sauces posted on the home page?   Steve has some good stand-bys there for the various pizza types.  The best way I know of is to keep a notebook nearby, when you make a sauce, you write it down. Then you can adjust it based on your own tastes, for the next time. 

I have been around lots of different creations of sauce, so I guess the starting place would be to determine if you prefer a more "fresh" tomato flavor or a heavier flavor. SOme start out with paste & water and get so involved with parm cheese & such. Others are very simple with just crushed tomatos and a few herbs & spices. 
Sorry I am at work and don't have any specific recipes right here, so I am not being very informative, but I will try and add on later when I can.

Offline Steve

• Steve Zinski
  • Administrator
    • pizzamaking.com
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2005, 02:44:27 PM »
Here are my two favorite sauces:

NY Style Sauce: 6-in-1 crushed tomatoes, Bonta pizza sauce, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper. For a test batch, use 28 oz 6-in-1 tomatoes, add enough Bonta so that the sauce is no longer watery, add approximately 1 tsp dried oregano flakes, 1 or 2 cloves fresh garlic (minced), salt and pepper to taste. Mix all ingredients together and add to pizza (do not cook this sauce).

Chicago Style "Deep Dish" Sauce: 6-in-1 crushed tomatoes, fresh basil, fresh garlic, salt, pepper. For a test batch, use 28 oz 6-in-1 tomatoes, 1 Tbsp fresh basil (clopped), 2 cloves garlic (minced), salt and pepper to taste. Mix all ingredients and add to pizza (do not cook this sauce).
Pizzamaking.com is a member-supported public resource. Click HERE to become a Supporting Member.