Author Topic: Does an Ezzo pepperoni stick need refrigeration?  (Read 5071 times)

Offline timmus

• I Love Pizza!
Does an Ezzo pepperoni stick need refrigeration?
« on: November 21, 2008, 07:44:05 PM »
I just bought an Ezzo pepperoni stick from PennMac:

http://www.pennmac.com/items/3204

I figured it would be fine in 3-day shipping, but when I opened it up I see it says "KEEP REFRIGERATED" and looks a little more shrivelled than in the website picture.  Do I need to throw it out?

Tim
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 07:48:29 PM by timmus »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Does an Ezzo pepperoni stick need refrigeration?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 08:40:11 PM »
Tim,

I assume that the Ezzo pepperoni product is like most dried pepperoni products that include preservatives and can be shipped without refrigeration. Otherwise, Ezzo would have to ship the pepperoni products to PennMac in refrigerated containers, and PennMac would have to ship the product to you in special packaging to keep the pepperoni cool. I believe the "Keep Refrigerated" statement on the wrapper refers to the method of storage once you take possession as a consumer. You can also freeze the pepperoni stick. Every pepperoni stick I have ever seen in any of the supermarkets where I shop have been in non-refrigerated areas.

Peter
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 08:43:55 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline timmus

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 08:45:47 PM »
Thanks Pete-zza... you saved the evening as I am about to put a pie together in an hour.  It was hard to Google anything about this, and I had no idea whether in fact Ezzo did ship the stuff out like a meat product or if it was no different than a Slim Jim.  I'll assume it's fine and will sniff it just to be sure.

Tim

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 08:53:53 PM »
Tim,

I didn't want you to act too hastily and throw out the pepperoni.

Most packages of the sliced pepperoni that I have seen say to refrigerate the contents of the package after opening. I often divide the package of sliced pepperoni into smaller packages and freeze them until I need to use them. Since meat products degrade in quality with time in storage, it is obviously better to use them sooner rather than later, whether refrigerated or frozen. Once you use your Ezzo pepperoni, you should store the unused portion in the refrigerator or freezer.

Peter

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 10:04:29 PM »
I thnk it depends on the outside temp. To me wrinkled = dry = good. I bought some this summer, and Pennmac shipped it w/ icepacks. However it was very hot that week, and they  actually swelled. They were promptly replaced.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline timmus

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 10:52:26 PM »
Cool.  I made the pizzas and they came out great -- in fact I'll be posting some pics on how the prep & pizzas came out (this was from that 68% hydration NY recipe).  The Ezzo pepperoni was great... it's the first time I dealt with it, but the casing with the label was a little hard to tear off and came off in strips.  In fact it made me wonder if it was supposed to be peeled off or not, having seen meats over the years served with traces of USDA stamps on them, but I figured it was better to remove than leave it.

My only regret is after making 4 pizzas I only had enough room to eat 4 slices.   :(  Oh well, plenty to eat over the weekend!

Tim

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 11:06:17 PM »
Yea I like the Ezzo, and the price at Pennmac makes it an easy decision for me.

Jeff
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

pizzapan