Author Topic: Interesting how varied the pizza palette can be  (Read 1239 times)

Offline madequity

Interesting how varied the pizza palette can be
« on: October 24, 2008, 09:15:17 PM »
Having eaten last week at Una Pizza Neapolitan in NYC I did some searching online and came across the NY Times rather varied reviews by readers.

nymag.com/urr/urr.pl?rm=all_reviews&listing_id=7931&listing_type=nyml_venue_restaurant

Though true Authentic Napoli pizza is not my preference (to me a thin pie like Tacconelli's in S. Jersey/Philly is THE standard) I nevertheless can certainly see why to some/most consider this style to be their standard.  The service aside, and it was pretty bad, the pies themselves are first rate.  And in my opinion BETTER than those I have had in Napoli.

To see such varied reviews of the pies just goes to show how very different tastes can be here in the US.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Interesting how varied the pizza palette can be
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 09:23:04 PM »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 04:16:58 PM »
madequity, before anthony got his new oven less than a year ago he was having a really tough time producing a consistent product.  Sometimes the pizza turned out great, but other times it was burned on the bottom or just simply took too long to bake so it got tough.  It seems like he is much more consistent now, so hopefully the reviews will start being less scattered.

Offline jjerrier2450

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 01:44:06 PM »
One of the hardest things about being in the pizza business is trying to appeal to so many different preferences - especially when it comes to pizza.  One of the most frustrating things I've learned is you have to "sell to the masses, not the classes".  It seems that most people are conditioned to prefer a "NY" style pizza - giant pizzas, giant slices, really crispy, tons of toppings.  My preference is authentic Neapolitan style - it's what I like to eat and what I like to make.  I think it requires a lot more skill, passion, and attention to detail.  When you try to serve a neapolitan pie to most people you get comments like: "it's burned", "its too soupy", "not enough cheese", "its too chewy"...uggh.

We have 2 restaurants in Dallas...one is really small and because of its location we have to have deck ovens, not wood-fired.  As a result, we make more of an Italian/NY blend - caputo dough cooked in a deck oven for longer periods gets crispy.  Our other is frankly too big for a pizzeria at 6000sf - but we have 2 decent wood-burning ovens.  The business reality is that we need to please the masses so we can't really produce the pies I want.  The realities of employee staffing and quality is that I can't ensure consistency by offering 2 distinct types of pizza - logistics would be a disaster.  The NY influence is very pervasive on pie preference - we also have a lot of east coast transplants here.  Although we get good reviews for our pizza from the press, I really wish I was doing 100% neapolitan every day, every pie.  I just can't gamble the 6000sf restaurant.

If the economy ever snaps out of it, I think the sweet spot is a 2500sf spot with a focus on pure Neapolitan pies.

So all that being said...I still like the pizza business and trying to appease palettes poisoned by PizzaHut vs. working for some generic corporation wondering when you will eventually get laid off or downsized!

pizzapan