Author Topic: pizza class  (Read 228 times)

Offline live4u

• Pizzaaaa Pizzaaaa Pizzaaaa
pizza class
« on: April 17, 2015, 11:55:22 AM »
I had signed up for the pizza class by Rosetta Costantino before I found this forum. As I had already payed, I am going today and its at emeryville. Will update how good it is.

Offline live4u

Re: pizza class
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 10:54:19 AM »
It was an ok class. It definitely gives some good insights and she does home cooking so all authentic neopalitan methods but the ovens were commercial electric so pizza came out crispy and some had to cook morethan 10 min.

Two interesting points
1) She added good amount of yeast so she got the bulk rise which doubled the ball in 2 hrs and after balling, 1 hr time, there was good rise.
2) She said caputo 00 flour is really good but 5 times expensive and is over rated. She uses central milling organic AF from costco and it really was like 00.

Ram

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 11:13:54 AM »
This is why taking a pizza class is such a dicey proposition. Who knows if the people "teaching" these classes know anything about making great pizza. This person certainly doesn't appear to know much.  Just because someone is a good cook doesn't mean they know anything about making great (or even good) pizza. It sounds like everything she told you was wrong and/or mis/uninformed. I'd guess pretty much every regular member here knows more about making pizza than the vast majority of people teaching pizza classes.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline live4u

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 11:25:34 AM »
This is why taking a pizza class is such a dicey proposition. Who knows if the people "teaching" these classes know anything about making great pizza. This person certainly doesn't appear to know much.  Just because someone is a good cook doesn't mean they know anything about making great (or even good) pizza. It sounds like everything she told you was wrong and/or mis/uninformed. I'd guess pretty much every regular member here knows more about making pizza than the vast majority of people teaching pizza classes.
Amen that! I signed up for this like 6 months ago before I landed here and i wont get my money back if I cancel :) Yes, no weighing and everything was TSP or tsp measurements. Whats interesting was, as I quoted in my first post, Anthony mentioned about dough rise for 2 hours to shape it and she did exactly the same thing (well 3 hrs in this case) to get the rise (she added 1/2 tsp of ADY and hence that rise if I assume). Also the central mills flour was matching 00 caputo. Did anyone try central mills?

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 01:05:24 PM »
To paraphrase H.L. Menken:

Those who can - do
Those who cannot - teach
Those who cannot teach become bloggers
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 02:28:31 PM »
To paraphrase H.L. Menken:

Those who can - do
Those who cannot - teach
Those who cannot teach become bloggers

Those who can, and do, and can also teach, and believe in passing along skills without charging come here.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

pizzapan