Author Topic: Hi everyone  (Read 1565 times)

Offline henry

Hi everyone
« on: January 19, 2010, 02:04:39 PM »
Hi everyone - been lurking around periodically for a while, though spending more time on the Neapolitan side than anything else. Been wondering about Chicago-style for a while, and when the wife suggested getting a deep dish pizza pan, it was a hint to me that I probably should try it out instead of just talking about it.

I don't have a scale (yet), so the formulations here are pretty cryptic for me to follow. In any case, in my first attempt, I assembled some of the ideas here - using the CI recipe as the basis (including laminating the dough) because it was the easiest one to find that used volumes rather than weights, but replacing the 1/2 cup of cornmeal with semolina and 1/4 of the AP with rice flour. I used a single 12" pan instead of the two 9" pans suggested. The pizza was ready in 24 minutes.

It definitely was a hit with the wife and in-laws, though I'm looking at tweaking it a bit. Looks like I need to get a scale so I can try out some of the other formulations that you guys have been kicking around....

Offline BTB

Re: Hi everyone
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 08:43:53 AM »
Welcome to the website, Henry.  It appears you may be "hooked" on pizzamaking, which is a good thing.  Definitely get a scale so you can easily and quickly modify recipes to fit all sizes and kinds of pizzas.   24 minutes possibly seems slightly on the light side of the time needed for a 12" pizza, but maybe not depending on one's oven, rack location, temperature, etc.  But even with a scale, the right recipes, and the good brands of flour, you'll find this is much more of an art than a science. I suspect with your Neapolitan background, you already know that.  And get your digital camera skills ready as we all love to "see" what the author is talking about.
                                                          --BTB

Offline henry

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 11:52:56 PM »
Welcome to the website, Henry.  It appears you may be "hooked" on pizzamaking, which is a good thing.  Definitely get a scale so you can easily and quickly modify recipes to fit all sizes and kinds of pizzas.   24 minutes possibly seems slightly on the light side of the time needed for a 12" pizza, but maybe not depending on one's oven, rack location, temperature, etc.  But even with a scale, the right recipes, and the good brands of flour, you'll find this is much more of an art than a science. I suspect with your Neapolitan background, you already know that.  And get your digital camera skills ready as we all love to "see" what the author is talking about.
                                                          --BTB

I tried to upload pictures - but I wasn't successful. Does everyone here use the attachment functionality and scale down the pictures? 128k seems awfully small for digital pics these days.

Offline RoadPizza

• Mozzarella Addict
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2010, 12:03:40 AM »
I tried to upload pictures - but I wasn't successful. Does everyone here use the attachment functionality and scale down the pictures? 128k seems awfully small for digital pics these days.
I try to scale it down to around 5 inches x 5 inches at 72 pixels per inch resolution.  If we all posted higher resolution pictures, the pages would load very slowly and server costs for the board would go up.

Offline henry

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 01:42:51 AM »
First try. See if these are too small...

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2010, 12:35:23 PM »
That looks very delicious, Henry.  Nice work.

Keep them coming!

-ME
Let them eat pizza.

Offline Puzzolento

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 01:31:56 PM »
I like that crust. It amazes me that there are people who won't eat the edge of a pizza.