Author Topic: Old Chicago Pizza in Petaluma, CA?  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Shane

Old Chicago Pizza in Petaluma, CA?
« on: January 22, 2010, 04:36:53 PM »
Has anyone been to this restaurant?  I can tell by reading the posts, that this is not the same one referred to here by many, as this one is not a chain at all.  It was started in the late 70's and has been a real hit ever since.  Wait times can routinely be as much as 60-120 minutes just to get a table.  They finally opened another location across town for take out only, but it is not as good.  Pizza's are pricey at about $28 for a large 1-2 topping pizza.

I love this pizza, but don't get to have it very often.  My kids and I just started making home pizza using the dough setting on our bread maker.  It comes out pretty good, but the dough to me is not the right texture or taste of any purchased pizza I have had, even the better ones that I like.  Also, we have not found the right recipe for sauce either.  I like a sauce that is tomatoey but a little thick and mildly spicy.

Any suggestions?

Offline Mazz

• 186 miles SSW from Ginos East, Downtown Chicago
Re: Old Chicago Pizza in Petaluma, CA?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 10:40:34 PM »
Hi Shane - Have never been to California, so no help on commenting on the restaurant you mentined.  If you want to make a deep dish, there are several excellent recipes on this forum.  I have found using a Kitchenaid with a dough hook set on mix for two minutes max, and no kneading, let the dough rise for a good hour or so, punch it down, and place it in the fridge for a day for a cold ferment really aids in the flavor of the crust.

For sauce, I drain a 28 oz. can of whole crushed tomatoes (6in1 is my favorite brand, but there are others that are good as well).  Then add a few (3 or 4) cloves of crushed garlic, 1-1/2 t each of whole fennel, oregano, and basil, then a touch of salt.  Amounts can be varied to suit individual taste. - Mazz