Author Topic: Here's a recipe calling for poolish and stretch and fold  (Read 16482 times)

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Here's a recipe calling for poolish and stretch and fold
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2010, 06:17:56 PM »

How is the flavor of the preferment. Noticeable?

hotsawce,

My experience with the methods you are using are great.  I think what this brings to the pizza is a better overall flavor to the crust and a more Artisan pizza.  I really like how the dough seems to open by itself.  See if your experiences are the same.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline hotsawce

Re: Here's a recipe calling for poolish and stretch and fold
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2010, 07:44:55 PM »
Well, I was able to make one pizza.

Unfortunately, my cooking method isn't perfect yet, so I didn't get the desired texture or color on the top of the crust. It was slightly too soft for me. I am using AP flour, but I don't know if that's contributing. It seems like every 4 pies I make, I get one really great one out of it (I have no idea why, maybe I get used to handling them more and judging the temp). I only made one, so I guess I was out of luck this time.

However, the bottom was done pretty well but the top was not as crisp or as brown, and I didn't want to begin burning the cheese. The hydration was 62%. I'm not quite sure what plays into browning the top....probably a thermal mass since my rack is so low.

I did notice some differences with the dough, though. It did open up very, very easily, and the flavor was something I don't know how to describe. It was definitely my flavorful...almost more savory....all I can say is my taste buds felt it. Additionally, it almost seemed like there was more air in the crust, too...not sure why that is. Very good, though.

It would have been better if the pie cooked correctly, but it's a very good start:/ I really need to experiment with putting a thermal mass above it. I popped it under the broiler, for maybe a minute, but was afraid of burning the cheese.

When I get a good one, I'll take a picture...I promise :p This one was just a little bit disappointing.

pizzapan