Author Topic: Recent build of earthstone  (Read 8362 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Recent build of earthstone
« on: November 02, 2008, 06:18:58 PM »
took a while but heres what I ended up with an entire outdoor kitchen! the frame 1st
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 08:37:03 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Recent build of earthstone
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 06:23:52 PM »
The engine and roof

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 06:33:17 PM »
roof that stumped me and the stone

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 06:36:32 PM »
Party TIME ! and the pies start to fly

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 09:09:55 PM »
Very very nice. How was the pizza?
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 09:38:24 PM »
Jeff,
The pizzas are coming out terrific ! I have only been at it for a while but it keeps getting better and better with the help of this site and the knowledge that abounds. We have had some great parties. I also love the residual heat the next day check out these ribs I did today  5 hrs from 325 down to 225 degrees they about fell apart Mmm  finger likin good, and a break from the cheese
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 09:48:19 PM by JConk007 »

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 09:59:43 PM »
Very nice set-up you have there, and picturing my 2 favorites...pizza and spare ribs....awesome.
Jon
Save A Cow, Eat A Vegan....Totally Organic And Hormone Free!!

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 11:18:33 PM »
Nice clean build there, looks like some meticulous construction.  I only found one issue in all of those pictures.  A can of bud?!.........just teasing. enjoy it -marc

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2008, 08:32:37 AM »
Thank you all for your kind words. Would I do it again ? In a heart beat! as for the can of Bud that may have been for the upside down beer can chicken the next day (yeah Right) Oh did you also notice the D.O.P. stamped San Marzano can right next to it? Thats the important stuff the rest is negotiable. I an having a touch of trouble with the rise of the Caputo 00 ? I make three or four batches each time different recipes trying to find my Raquel. With the others I use SAF IDY, double in 2 hrs. with the Caputo I use autolyse and SAF ADY as per forno bravo, is this yeast the problem? or is that the way this stuff rises (flat and out) anybody have any thoughts pics (Bill SFNM?). I am sure there are plenty of recipes on high heat dough, but I have been so busy figuring out how to post the pictures, thank you Steve! I am quite an expert now after doing it three different ways (Picaso rocks) I have not got to the right formula yet. Back to the threads for me.
John
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 08:35:56 AM by JConk007 »

Offline bakerbill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 07:37:41 PM »
Having built an Earthstone a few years ago, I just want to say that you have really raised the bar!  A splendid work, especially the roof line.  I am very impressed with your whole set up. Congratulations.

bakerbill

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 09:45:39 PM »
Baker ,
Thanks. The roof stumped me for a long time, as I am not in construction or a mason fort that matter. I was trying to figure how to do it with metal studs and no luck. I finally laid it out from the front and 45 degrees worked out nice, and liked the high roof line, the overhang was an after thought after looking through another 100 oven pics. I dropped the money on the duratech built the roof in wood. I just watched them build a garage close by went for it, probably very overkill! I made 4 trips to chimney store to figure out angles after roof was finished. Then the stone. After looking at the prefab stuff I found 3 pallets of pennsy wall stone (1/2 the price of dooing it in fake rock) so it gave me alot of stone to pic thru, and its the real deal. I have enough left for decroative tree wells (Maybe next year)  I have built a few walls but never done the veneer fun, time consuming, espescially the grout. Yes I am really pleased with how it came out and more important how it cooks!!
Bottom line if you want GO FOR IT! you can always learn.
and if you build it they will come. :D
John
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 09:50:13 PM by JConk007 »

Offline tommy

• Supporting Member
  • Always learning, and struggling. And eating.
    • tommy:eats
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 04:46:48 PM »
I just love this oven (and the whole set up) John.  I keep searching around for more pictures and I'm very envious!  Nice work.

Offline petef

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 12:52:51 AM »
Beautiful job! It's the best I've ever seen.

Was this project done by a professional or are you a perfectionist do-it-yourselfer?

Also...
Where do you live, and can I be your friend? Hehehe :D

---pete---

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 11:30:24 AM »
Thanks Again All ,

Tommy
Thats why I put up the pics, not to make anyone envious but to inspire someone to hopefully go for it themselves. I have a whole pic album of this baby as I did the entire construction myself. I must say when I looked around at pictures pre/during construction, I saw  sooo many really nice ovens that I thought blew this away, but this is my Personal Favorite. Yes probably built by the  pros. So Your comments are very kind. I just wanted the Field stone look to go with the landscaping we had completed (by someone else!)

Pete,
Yep, guess I am alittle bit picky and somewhat a perfectionist, but not a professional by any means, the old cliche "It amazes me what you can do if you put your mind to it!" prevailed here. I changed and tried so many of those damn rocks around over, and back, so many, many, times before doing the final stick on. And theres alot of rocks! The key was to have alot to pick from as mentioned I needed 1 pallet and bought 3! ( stilll cheaper than the fake stuff!) Nice Stone wall coming with the extras. Another never do before  was I  did a masterful woodwork job in my dining room with a 9 piece raised panel molding. 9 weeks 1 room!, Idea ??? I'll take a few pictures of my pizzas in there and you can See the custom wood work in the background.
 Hey this is a pizza forum Now back to mastering that!
Oh~ I live in Northern New Jersey. and anyone who like pizza is allways a friend of mine.
Ciao
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 11:33:22 AM by JConk007 »

Offline Mare

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 04:21:12 PM »
Thanks for the link to your photos.  I had no idea how complicated it was to build.  The pizzas look splendid, too. 

I emailed the photos to my hubby, and he replied, "Before you ask, the answer is no." :(

Mare

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2009, 08:53:01 PM »
Mare,
Thats no fun! Keep workin on him, and tell him how good the pizza will be, and how much you will save on Crappy take out pizza. Or maybe a slice under the pillow now and again  :-D Im probably in the 250-300 PTD (pies to Date ) range so at $10-20 bucks a pop thats like I am almost break even  :pizza: the next 5,000 are free ;D Its only flour,water, yeast, and salt. Grow those Jersey Tomatoes and basil, make, the cheese ( ok buy bulk) and your good to go!
John

Offline fcbuilder

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2009, 01:19:51 PM »
took a while but heres what I ended up with an entire outdoor kitchen! the frame 1st
hey jconk007, your storage doors are they made out of teak or ipe and who built them they are beautiful . do you have any close up shots . Thanks fc

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2009, 07:11:25 PM »
FC,
IPE wood good eye! The doors were an afterthought. I designed the island nd sent the specs and Harbor Island From North Carolina built it for me.  http://grillislands.com/  Less than 1/2 price of masonry, and I can take it with me if I want to. If you go to link under design ideas you will see a few pic of my oven and set up he was so impressed with the whole setup. After figuring out the easiest way to cover the opening beneath the hearth would be to just match the island and cover the center support post at the same time.  I sent him the dimensions and whala a perfect fit and match. Doors Really pulled it all together It all came on a small trailer I mounted the doors first then Stone work Right to them. Should have some close ups if you want the guy does detail affordable work.. Think its buscuited and a Lap joint?  You can also see in pic #1 and #3 I also added the bluestone around the landing area extension (another after thought) to match all the stone wall capping and steps in the back yard so that also help with the over all pulling the oven right in (wow alsmost looks as though I knew what I was doing ?) yeah right ???
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 08:25:20 PM by JConk007 »

Offline fcbuilder

« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2009, 12:42:49 AM »
FC,
IPE wood good eye! The doors were an afterthought. I designed the island nd sent the specs and Harbor Island From North Carolina built it for me.  http://grillislands.com/  Less than 1/2 price of masonry, and I can take it with me if I want to. If you go to link under design ideas you will see a few pic of my oven and set up he was so impressed with the whole setup. After figuring out the easiest way to cover the opening beneath the hearth would be to just match the island and cover the center support post at the same time.  I sent him the dimensions and whala a perfect fit and match. Doors Really pulled it all together It all came on a small trailer I mounted the doors first then Stone work Right to them. Should have some close ups if you want the guy does detail affordable work.. Think its buscuited and a Lap joint?  You can also see in pic #1 and #3 I also added the bluestone around the landing area extension (another after thought) to match all the stone wall capping and steps in the back yard so that also help with the over all pulling the oven right in (wow alsmost looks as though I knew what I was doing ?) yeah right ???
So you just sent them the dimensions for the door sizes and had them shipped to you , very nice. that whole set up will last a life time with minimal maintenance.thanks for the info FC.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2009, 07:21:48 AM »
Yes I Sent a pic of the oven face, and the dimensions including thickness to allow for stone veneer the center of the doors and Island is Tongue and groove, and he sent the doors with the island which came in 2 pieces. I added the sink and granite top.
John

pizzapan