Author Topic: Please Help...I am desperate  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Nogoodpizza

• I Love Pizza!
Please Help...I am desperate
« on: January 07, 2005, 05:27:53 PM »
Hi...just found this site and I probably should search for my answer but I am too desperate.

I am a Chicago guy born and raised.  About 4 years ago I relocated to Los Angeles for work.

There are maybe 2 good pizza places in L.A. and neither are anywhere near where I live so I have taken up making pizzas at home...well at least trying.

In my opinion, Lou Malnati's pizza from Chicago is the absolute best pizza in the world and although I ofter order Lou's pizzas to be delievered I am really interested in the challenge of recreating that pizza at home.

The thing about Lou's pizza is the crust.  Their crust is so tasty you could almost eat it on it's own and that is what I am trying to make.

It is beyond my ability to describe it accurately but to me their crust tastes both buttery and rather yeasty.

I have been playing around with a few different recipies but I still cannot come close to duplicating what they do.

I was hoping maybe someone here had some inside information as to what I might be missing. 

Thanks

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Please Help...I am desperate
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2005, 05:38:21 PM »
I don't claim to have any insider information, but you will be hard pressed to beat fellow member DKM's deep-dish recipe at http://pizzamaking.com/dkm_chicago.php.

Peter

Offline Nogoodpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2005, 05:46:40 PM »
I will most certainly try that a.s.a.p.

Do you use just any old yeast or can you recommend a specific one?

I make beer as a hobby as well and I know that yeast plays a huge roll in how your beer tastes so I would assume that the same is true when baking.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2005, 05:59:16 PM »
I would use active dry yeast, any brand you can find in your local supermarket (there are only a few brands).  You can use other forms of yeast (cake yeast or instant dry yeast) if you'd like, and each form has its proponents, but I would suggest starting with the active dry yeast.  You can decide later whether you want to try another form, when you have more time to experiment. 

Peter

Offline DKM

• Lifetime Member
  • Chicago - Now that's Pizza!
    • The Emperor.net
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 02:54:01 PM »
I tend to use either Red Star ADY or Fleischmann's ADY.

DKM
I'm on too many of these boards