Author Topic: My Cousin's New York Pizzeria in Bloomfield Hills, MI.  (Read 2691 times)

Offline GrueLurks

My Cousin's New York Pizzeria in Bloomfield Hills, MI.
« on: October 30, 2008, 07:31:27 PM »
Without a doubt, this is the best and only NY style pizza to be found in the Detroit Metro area. The owners are from a family of pizza makers hailing from Brooklyn, NY. and they know how to do it right. Everything that can be made from scratch is done so and made with pride. I've driven all over the area to find other NY styles but only this one does it right in my book. Stop in and get a slice, tell Ronnie that Mick sent you. :-)

42967 Woodward Ave
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48304-5035
248-874-9999

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: My Cousin's New York Pizzeria in Bloomfield Hills, MI.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 10:53:47 AM »
I don't know about "only NY style pizza to be found in the Detroit Metro area".  Supino Pizzeria just opened a few months ago and seems to be gettting only positive reviews.  It is Definitely NY style.

Offline GrueLurks

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 03:37:42 PM »
I was down in Eastern Market last month and saw them but I didn't think they served that style. I will stop in and try a slice next weekend when I am down there again. Thanks for the heads up.

Offline GrueLurks

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 11:40:25 PM »
I don't know about "only NY style pizza to be found in the Detroit Metro area".  Supino Pizzeria just opened a few months ago and seems to be gettting only positive reviews.  It is Definitely NY style.

I checked them out and found it to be more of a Neapolitan pizza style place than the traditional NY pizza. This is not to say that it is not good, the pie was awesome, but it is not the huge foldover slice that is typical of NY pizza.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 09:37:20 PM »
really? As far as I can tell neapolitan style pizza would be baked in a wood burning oven in under 2 min with fresh or buffalo mozzarella, caputo (or other italian) 00 flour, and san marzano or at least italian tomatoes.  Supino is using american flour, aged (grande) mozzarella, california packed tomatoes, and it is made in a deck oven that bakes in about 6 min.  That is what 90% of the New York street pizzerias are doing.   

Do you think that a larger slice would have made the difference?

Offline GrueLurks

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 10:07:27 PM »
The pie I ordered came out a bit thicker than I expected both in the main crust and the edges. I felt it was close, but not close enough. I am definately going to eat there again next week, maybe I just caught them on an off day.

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 11:27:35 PM »
...in a wood burning oven in under 2 min with fresh or buffalo mozzarella,...

I'm confused.  ???

Does that mean that buffalo mozzarella is not fresh?? The Mozzarella di Bufala I have used in the past was always fresh, and came packaged in a brine (water?), imported from Italy. Or are you referring to cow's milk mozzarella when you say "fresh"?

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 02:19:18 AM »
I guess I should have said buffalo mozzarella or fior di latte.  It's just that at least around here in boston where I live everyone calls fior di latte "fresh mozzarella".  My point is just that typical pizza cheese such as aged poly-o or grande, or whatever you want to call "non fresh" mozzarella would never be found on a neapolitan pizza.   
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 02:21:29 AM by scott r »

pizzapan