Author Topic: Pizza Town  (Read 3039 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Pizza Town
« on: November 11, 2008, 11:17:08 PM »
OK so this is my new Best of pizza joint here in NJ .So I ask the workers ( same 3 for 3 months) about the pizza Dough, sauce? type of cheese?  flour? The response was " we dont tell anybody!" so dont but tell me at least what type of flour you  use?> no way!  OK has anybody been here? anybody got the flour  or sauce. Pete zza wish you were here to reverse engineer this one its really' really good! somebody help me rt 46 west what a pie!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 09:54:13 AM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Pizza Town
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 02:30:07 AM »
Looks like this place makes a true deep fried calzone that looks similar to what I had in Naples Italy.  Some great pics here.

http://offthebroiler.wordpress.com/2007/07/18/nj-dining-pizza-town-usa/

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 09:52:53 AM »
Scott,
YES thats  the place. est 1958
 Yes The calzones Ham and cheese, 1 type only, are fried right there in front of your very eyes. And really tasty too! I watched them like a hawk make a few pies. The dough seemed very easy to shape and really thin. They used a good deal of corn meal and flour on the peel, shape it and a scoop of suace, then a sprinkle of parmasean then the cut mozz from a block whole small square slices, topped with a dash of italian seasonings.
Just wish they would give up the recipes.
Great pics on that link, the slices are now still just $1.55 a bargain around here for that quality.
Thanks
John
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 09:59:43 AM by JConk007 »

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 07:59:25 PM »
Geezzzz I think the BEST pizza in the area is Joe And Pats on Staten Island,,they used chuck chesse
and also thin pizza and the sauce is also great...Its worth the $18 per pie....I buy a few and frezze them.
Pizza town looks good too.

Offline Shotgun682

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 09:58:25 PM »
OK so this is my new Best of pizza joint here in NJ .So I ask the workers ( same 3 for 3 months) about the pizza Dough, sauce? type of cheese?  flour? The response was " we dont tell anybody!" so dont but tell me at least what type of flour you  use?> no way!  OK has anybody been here? anybody got the flour  or sauce. Pete zza wish you were here to reverse engineer this one its really' really good! somebody help me rt 46 west what a pie!

Hit their dumpster and see what they are using!!!!

If it is locked after hours then go when they are open

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 09:48:45 AM »
Johnny,
I was referring to the Bergen Co NJ market. I have heard of you Fav and will make it a must stop next time I get to Staten Island I have read some good things about that pie. Lets see I have lived in Jersey 19 years and been to SI 2x ? How far from the Bayonne Bridge?
Shotgun,
Dumpster diving ? I know its an enclosed Dumpster because I went there to it right away after I was denied information, and I think its locked all day? Saw no scraps of any type of any product's anywhere. Its in plain view and they probably have a camera on that thing. May even come out with a shotgun if they see me? Besides that they are open to like 2 am so its not like I can hang out til they close. How bout I pay the guy in news copter 7 to hover for a while and zoom in HD
Thanks
John
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 09:52:26 AM by JConk007 »

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 11:54:26 AM »
I would say about less then 10 mins from Bridge on Victory Blvd.......Been there since the 50s
Too me I think the Chunky type of chesse is the best tasteing.
I am going to have to try pizza town when I am in the area.
I would love to know what brand of chesse theses places use when they use chunks chesse mmmmm

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/joe-and-pats-pizzeria/

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2007/10/food_network_cameras_take_slic.html
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 12:25:57 PM by johnnytuinals »

Offline Shotgun682

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 03:55:15 PM »
Johnny,
I was referring to the Bergen Co NJ market. I have heard of you Fav and will make it a must stop next time I get to Staten Island I have read some good things about that pie. Lets see I have lived in Jersey 19 years and been to SI 2x ? How far from the Bayonne Bridge?
Shotgun,
Dumpster diving ? I know its an enclosed Dumpster because I went there to it right away after I was denied information, and I think its locked all day? Saw no scraps of any type of any product's anywhere. Its in plain view and they probably have a camera on that thing. May even come out with a shotgun if they see me? Besides that they are open to like 2 am so its not like I can hang out til they close. How bout I pay the guy in news copter 7 to hover for a while and zoom in HD
Thanks
John

If you want it bad enough anything is possible

Can you sit in your car and watch the dumpster?

If so you can bring a video camera and watch them as they load it.. Zoom in and get the names on bags and boxes and cans

Offline Shotgun682

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 03:58:26 PM »
I am also sure the delivery guy is not as tight lipped as the employees are

You can watch him as he makes a delivery and see what gifts he brings them

It is all relative to how bad you want to find out the information and what you are willing to do for it

Offline Shotgun682

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 04:07:00 PM »
If you are willing to spend some money and not the time you can purchase a camera setup used to find Deer

It takes a digital picture when movement is in range

Has a time stamp so you know when they load the dumpster

You might even see the boxes and cans in the picture

Just need to hide the setup covertly

I don't think they would have a camera on the dumpster. If you do see a camera I bet it is a DUMMY non working one

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 07:04:39 PM »
Work your own recipe and eventually you will get to a point that Pizza Town pizza will not be anywhere as good as what you can make.

As for the ingredients they use and spying on them, I am a firm believer in intellectual property rights. They have 50+ years invested in what they do and are entitled to enjoy the profits of the hard work they put into it. It is ok for members of this board to guess and try to duplicate the pizza, it is another thing to dumpster dive,etc.

With your oven and some 00 flour & sourdough starter you will be knocking em dead.

PNW

Offline johnnytuinals

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 08:06:48 PM »
Its not like I am asking much
Why don't one of you good folks get a part time job and let us know what they use.
I am sure many can use the money lol.
Myself I am busy sleeping till 11am and start drinking at 8pm till 1am till its time for bed....
So I don't have time lol....Jt

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 09:46:36 PM »
I feel bad for you Johnny as I go to work at 6 am and get home at 6 pm thats why I cant dumpster dive or really care. I have much much more going on here I am quite positive they don't bother with a sour dough starter but who knows? . I agree with PNW that I can do just as well or better. I am just noting its a great Northern Jersey slice joint and I would like to know what they use. No I will not sit there and take pics , No I will not ask for ingredients again, but  YES when I am within 5 Miles of this place my car will turn and head there, and if the delivery guy happens to be there I will take note!  :P
John
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 09:50:00 PM by JConk007 »

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 10:06:42 PM »
Ask them if they use a bromated flour,  tell them you would like to know for for health considerations.  If they do,  you could safely assume that they are using a high gluten bromated flour such as all trumps. just a thought. -marc

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 10:33:55 PM »
Thanks mark but I still feel they wont budge. and like PNW says thats ok. I did just stop somewhere else in Garfield  very close by and they said they used all trump " everybody uses it" was the response I got from a really cool pizza maker. Most times after I explain I have a brick oven I built at home they ease up and are happy to share the info, and talk pizza
JC

pizzapan