Author Topic: Grandma's Pizza-My Take  (Read 8635 times)

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Grandma's Pizza-My Take
« on: November 14, 2008, 12:43:17 PM »
Inspired by the chef Bruno video, and reading here I decided to give Grandma’s Pizza a go. I used the following dough formula for no other reason then it seemed like a good starting point from what I read-it was almost identical to Pete-zza’s pub style crust.

Flour (100%)
Water (62%)
IDY (0.40%)
Salt (2%)
Olive Oil (2%)
Sugar (2%)

TF .11
It was good, but I’ll change some things next time. I only used 1 can of drained San Marzano’s next time I will use 2 or just make a 6in1 sauce and “dollop” it on top of the cheese. I will also increase the TF a little bit, but not too much more. I have a new square pan which will help. I baked it at 500 on a stone til it was done (I didn’t time it-sorry).

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
Re: Grandma's Pizza-My Take
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 12:47:29 PM »
2 more pics-

Offline canadianbacon

• DoughBoy
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 09:07:45 AM »
Pizza looks awesome !

I often make pizza in the same kind of rectangular tray, just because I can make such a large pie for the family, and it goes a long way, with kids.  Mom used to do all her pizzas in this type of tray.  More pizza for your money eh...  "no cutting corner" LOL

I like the nice browning on the bottom - could go for a slice of that right now with my morning coffee.
Pizzamaker, Rib Smoker, HomeBrewer, there's not enough time for a real job.

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 10:52:56 AM »
Thanks CB. These pizza's have been fun to play around with-my family doesn't mind being guinea pigs!

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 11:31:59 AM »
Jeff,

Nice job. I really like the looks of the bottom of the pizza. What kind of cheese or cheese blend did you use with the pizza, and what kind and amount of oil did you use in the pan itself? And what kind of pan are you using, what are its dimensions, and where did you get it? It looks to be seasoned.

There seems to be many different styles of Sicilian pizzas, from the sfincioni "peasant pizzas" that originated in Italy to many Americanized versions. After the holidays, I hope to try out a few, especially those for which I can calculate baker's percents so that I can scale the recipe to my 8" x 12" dark anodized "Sicilian style" pan from pizzatools.com/lloydpans.com.

Peter

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 12:37:04 PM »
Peter,

The cheese...I asked my wife to pick up some Grande whole milk mozz-they were out so we I tried Crave Brothers (www.cravecheese.com) which is a regional producer. Their whole milk mozz is very good too.

The pan-  I'm afraid it's not what you're thinking just a Calphalon 12x17x1 jelly roll pan from Linen's N Things- http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3098147&cp=&fbx=0&fbn=Taxonomy%7CBakeware&kw=calphalon&fbc=1&f=Taxonomy%2FLNT%2F1331607&f=Taxonomy%2FLNT%2F1331950&parentPage=search

Someday soon I'll get some good steel square pans.

I'm enjoying these pizza's right now after focusing on NY/Neo pies in the 2stone all summer.

Jeff

ETA: I used 1.5 Tbs EVOO in the bottom of the pan
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 12:39:49 PM by jeff v »

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
    • Frankie G's Pizza Oven Project
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 01:27:34 PM »
my grandmother made one like this and we call it "civata." (pronounced Sha-va-tha).

The consistency is soft bread-like dough... with an oil-fried bottom as you are showing.  we would slather with Extra virgin olive oil, then dot with anchovies...  then 6 in 1 toms cooked down with green onion....

we pile the tom on rather thick.  then sprinkle un-seasoned bread crumbs, Grated Romano cheese... and lastly, dried oregano.

I have experimented with foccacia doughs... but they are too tough.  a "white-bread" dough seems to work better.

The product is similar to what someone can purchase at Liguria bakery in SF.

Frankie G

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 01:56:59 PM »

The product is similar to what someone can purchase at Liguria bakery in SF.

Since that is my favorite, how about some recipe details! I would almost move back to SF just for Liguria!

PNW

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 04:05:59 PM »
Speaking of dried oregano-This is what I used on this pizza. My first time using this type, and I was surprised on how much better it tasted. Looking at it reminds me of my early 20's though  :P.

Jeff

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
    • Frankie G's Pizza Oven Project
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 02:31:37 PM »
I'd love to have Liguria's recipe... but...

No Havie.

Frankie G

Offline fcbuilder

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 12:22:15 AM »
If you guys want to try a great grandma pie go to the original umbertos of new hyde park in long island N.Y It is delicious and there regular Sicilian is awesome too.

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 08:18:08 AM »
Thanks for the memory of Liguria. Back in the 60's I lived a few blocks away from them and as kids without much money we ate a lot of these focaccias. I haven't had one in years but I'm glad to know the're still making them.
Nothing was better for the munchies than a big tomato focaccia.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 09:40:43 AM by mmarston »
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 09:59:14 AM »
There are a lot of photos on various websites of this focaccia.Here's a nice interior shot:
http://flickr.com/photos/jimheid/2959088390

BTW is that chopped scallion they are using,when people are referring to "chopped green onions"?
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 02:10:32 PM »
Jeff,
I have this "grandmas" on the hit list as well. Problem is here are so many types and variations on this one.
My local joint does a "dollop on top of the cheese" for their grandmas which is all I ever get. (I make a better NY now)  The crust on theirs has a similar bottom appearance and look a touch thinner than your
I'll get a hot if I ever get another one.
John
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 02:25:14 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2009, 02:18:42 PM »
There are a lot of photos on various websites of this focaccia.Here's a nice interior shot:
http://flickr.com/photos/jimheid/2959088390

BTW is that chopped scallion they are using,when people are referring to "chopped green onions"?

Scallion it is. I made a pretty nice focaccia that I posted somewhere here as well.  :chef:

John,

I have made it w/ dollops as well. I'm sure with a couple of tries you'll be making a better one than them too.

Offline mmarston

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2009, 03:14:42 PM »
My rediscovery of Liguria bakery makes me want to try and replicate their tomato focaccia. It makes my mouth water just thinking about it.
I haven't had any for over 30 years but as I recall it was thick like a Sicilian but lighter with a somewhat crunchy bottom,  and had a smattering of thick and rich flavored tomato sauce on top.

I searched a bit on the web and found an interview with the baker that claimed the focaccia was baked at 800f!
http://www.northsidesf.com/jan09/fw_cookschat.html
I have not made this type of pizza before but I have never heard of a thick dough being cooked at this high a temperature.
The article also said that the recipe was a family secret.
Any input would be appreciated.

By the way "focaccia" is not in the spell checker.

Michael

Michael

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2009, 04:57:27 PM »
My rediscovery of Liguria bakery makes me want to try and replicate their tomato focaccia. It makes my mouth water just thinking about it.
I haven't had any for over 30 years but as I recall it was thick like a Sicilian but lighter with a somewhat crunchy bottom,  and had a smattering of thick and rich flavored tomato sauce on top.

I searched a bit on the web and found an interview with the baker that claimed the focaccia was baked at 800f!
http://www.northsidesf.com/jan09/fw_cookschat.html
I have not made this type of pizza before but I have never heard of a thick dough being cooked at this high a temperature.
The article also said that the recipe was a family secret.
Any input would be appreciated.

By the way "focaccia" is not in the spell checker.

Michael

Michael

Michael,

I'd love to see you try and replicate this! Everything I have heard about this place makes my mouth water, and I have never been there! It is definately on my list next trip to SF. C'mon take a stab at it-I will too.

Jeff

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2009, 07:53:20 PM »

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2009, 09:27:11 PM »
http://www.openroad.tv/video.php?vid=347

My favorite lunch in SF

PNW

Great vid PNW. Good reference point on Laguria.

I miss living by Italian people,

Jeff

Offline mmarston

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 09:03:13 AM »
http://www.openroad.tv/video.php?vid=347
That video  brings back a lot of memories. The gathering after my father's funeral (years ago) was at Washington Square Bar and Grill. I have no family left in SF so I have not been back for a long time.