Author Topic: Brick Pizza Oven Project  (Read 5624 times)

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
Brick Pizza Oven Project
« on: January 09, 2005, 11:47:24 AM »
I played golf yesterday and one of my normal group didn't show up so the starter put a new member in our group. It turns out this guy repairs gas, coal and wood burning ovens for a living. He is considered an expert in diagnosing why ovens are not performing up to manufacturer specifications.

Long story short, I invite him to my house to see what his thoughts were on my TEC grill. The specific problem I have is the hood is beginning to warp due to the high heat produced by the infra-red technology.

He thinks it would be possible to design a mini refractory brick oven housing which would utilize my exisiting pizza stone as the bottom. He also agreed to begin fabricating such a concept from the spare products he has lying around his shop.

I will update the project once we begin the testing phase.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2005, 11:56:58 AM by pftaylor »
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline FornoBravo

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Brick Pizza Oven Project
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 06:03:05 AM »
We have posted a set of free plans on the Internet to build a traditional round Italian wood-fired pizza oven. It is the oven design you see everywhere in Italy -- where I have heard there are about one million wood-fired pizza ovens. I have build a couple of brick ovens using other plans on the Internet, but I really like the round Italian design.

The oven is called the Pompeii Oven, in honor the great ovens uncovered in ancient Pompeii that inspired the project, and it can be built using firebricks and standard materials found at Home Depot. The oven design is based on the traditional round wood-burning oven you see throughout Italy, where I have heard that there are about one million brick ovens. The plans are on the Internet, and consist of descriptions, materials lists and photographs that show the building process.

I am a brick oven enthusiast living in Florence, and having a great time putting the plans together, and talking with the folks who are building the oven.

We also sell traditional Italian ovens, but the Pompeii Oven plans are free and we support builders by email. There is also a user group on Yahoo! where we talk about oven installation and brick oven cooking.

The site is http://www.fornobravo.com. Click on the Pompeii Oven link to see the plans, and photos of the ovens that have been built.

FB