Author Topic: Oven Comparison Shootout  (Read 15709 times)

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Re: Oven Comparison Shootout
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 10:11:35 PM »
Heres my earthstone constructed by yours truly from shovel to shingle!
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 10:15:47 PM »
Very exited here I finally figured it out how to resize and post Heres my earthstone oven I built from the ground up I post construction sequence as soon as I get the pics resized.
John

Offline Pizza_Not_War

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 11:31:27 PM »
Awesome job on the oven build. Want to come to Oregon and build one for me??

PNW

Offline JConk007

• Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2008, 07:58:15 AM »
PNW,
Sure I would be glad to. For the price they wanted if I just do 3-4 a year I would be set and alot more Pizzas would be created in America. I learned alot doing this and know when I move out of New Jersey
I will be doing it again somewhere. I grew up in NH mountains  lakes ( no god pizza ) and ended up in NJ yek! So Oregon sounds great!
Herdest part was the hearth lean cement not too forgiving
Funest part the real stone veneer.
Most Pain in the !@#  part , the grout between all the stone work very tedious!
 Ill put up some pics of the process in the hearth section and a few pies I have created as well.
thanks!
John

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
    • Frankie G's Pizza Oven Project
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 12:10:51 AM »
This is the best quote I have heard about brick ovens....

When I first noticed cracks and other irregularities in my oven... I went nuts... then relaxed.

I spoke to people a lot smarter than me that explained that this heated beast is a living breathing piece of art when it is fired at its potential....

Dmun said it best!

Frankie G

Homemade firebrick oven:

Pro's:

- At under a buck a brick for 160 bricks almost anyone can afford an oven. The refractory mortar and the insulation (which you have to buy anyway) cost more than the oven.

- Unlimited design choices: you can build your oven any size, any height, with any vent size that will suit your cooking style best.

- Unlimited internet support, on even the smallest detail, from a large supportive oven building community.

- Bragging rights: "Yeah, I built this. Yep. Every brick"

- This is true of commercial ovens too, because more than half the effort of building any oven is the footings, stand, enclosure, and finish, but it's a fun project. You can enlist the help of friends, family, and neighbors, and build your local community.

- A "brick oven" should look like it's made out of bricks. I'm sorry, it should. I know you can get commercial brick built ovens, but most of the ones you can afford look like upside down beige mixing bowls.

Cons:

- Brick ovens crack. Almost every one. Everyone gets paranoid about those hairline cracks, then finally shrug their shoulders and go back to cooking. If a crack in your oven is going to drive you crazy, get a commercial oven.

- You have to make your own decisions, and figure out certain things for yourself. If you want a ready made solution, go commercial.

Like Bill, I wish I had a little bigger oven. Mine is 36, which is fine for what I do, but there would be a little more versatility with a 39.5 (1 meter) oven.

pizzapan