Author Topic: Weber Flower Pot Oven  (Read 3383 times)

Offline Count Crustulus

Weber Flower Pot Oven
« on: January 18, 2009, 10:52:47 PM »
Several months ago I moved to LA, and the carriage house I'm renting doesn't have an oven. It does, however, have a Weber grill. Using the resources I have, my goal is to make oven-quality pizza (or better) with the minimum of expenditure.

I recently came up with a design that yields quite good (not perfect) results, is cheap, and easy to construct. I bought a 14" and 16" in flower pot saucer from a garden supply store. I placed the 14" (I experimented with hollow-side up and down) on the rack of my Weber on top of a layer of Saltillo tiles. I set bricks as props on either side of the saucer and then set the 16" saucer on top. I now have a nice, clam-shaped oven.

The results were, as I said, quite good. The pie is very flavorful from the smoke from the charcoal. And I get fairly even heating on the top and bottom of the pie. Plus, at $20 total (and I'm sure this could be done a lot cheaper), the cost to deliciousness ratio is excellent. That said, there are areas for improvement:

- The pie sometimes scorched on a horizontal plane. I could rotate the pie, but this means lifting some very hot and heavy pieces of ceramic.

- Even though the grill itself was very, very hot, the amount of downward radiating heat was still not as much as I might like. That is, I want a browner (leoparding???) crust but had to settle for tan and a really toasty bottom. I should note the top-bottom heating was more even when I placed the 14" saucer hollow-side down as it presumably stayed cooler.

To sum up: I'm delighted with my results, but want to improve. Anyone have any thoughts on how I can do this? More insulation on the bottom (2-3 layers of Saltillos)? Modification of the dome of my saucer-hearth? All suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Best Wishes,

Count Crustulus

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
Re: Weber Flower Pot Oven
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 10:59:44 PM »
cost to deliciousness ratio- Nice one.  :-D

Jeff

ETA- Maybe you could heat the bottom piece up, then move it to the top. A quick preheat then bake?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 11:02:06 PM by jeff v »
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline Fingerstyle

Re: Weber Flower Pot Oven
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 05:01:36 PM »
If you eliminate the bottom dish (and replace with another layer of tile - or better still, replace the tile with firebrick splits) then rotating the pie during baking with a spatula should be easy.

The main thing for top browning is capturing and redirecting the side/back/front heat so that it flows over the pie from back& sides to exit front. So, leave no gap in front, big gap in back, equal gap at sides. You might experiment with some heavy duty foil or non-galv sheet metal for the cowling. You might check out Villa Roma's (and disciples) LBE threads - lots of ideas and variations on a brilliant theme - cheap, easy, delicious.
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4753.0.html

Enjoy! :chef:
"... I say we ride some gravity." - Patrick Rizzo