Author Topic: New Delorenzo's opening in Robbinsville, NJ  (Read 9130 times)

Offline JoeyBagadonuts

New Delorenzo's opening in Robbinsville, NJ
« on: June 07, 2007, 02:16:12 AM »
FYI.

If you havent heard it yet, I am telling you now.

Delorenzo's on Hudson St. in Chambersburg will be opening up shop in Robbinsville, NJ
When I first heard this, the rumor was that the Hudson St. location was closing down  :'(
After hearing this, I went there and asked if they were moving. And they are not moving, just adding a location.
Apparently, the son in law who currently makes pies at Hudson St. wants to open something bigger. So he is. It should be open within the next month or 2. I just hope it does not affect the Hudson St. pies.

Now, I have never made a pizza from scratch, but I would like to learn. That is why I joined the forum today. My uncle was over and we were talking about the pies at Delorezo's and how he remember going there in 1940! And ever since, everyone in the family has loved it.

Has anyone here tried to duplicate their pie? If so, how did it come out? Anyone know what type of tomatoes they use? Is there a recipe around for a very similar crust I could use? I need help! lol I am branching out. I am a great cook. I can cook all sorts of stuff and different cuisines, but never tried making pizza or tomatoe pies. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

joe

Offline steve cobra

• I Love Pizza!
Re: New Delorenzo's opening in Robbinsville, NJ
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 05:14:33 AM »
Chick joined me and a couple friends for dinner earlier this year and he tole us he uses Red Pack tomatoes.  He also agreed that he used Grande Cheese.  Then he said "You aren't planning to open a pizza joint are you?". 

If I could duplicate those pies I wouldn't have to travel an hour and a half to Trenton, Stand on line an hour to get in, and wait another hour to hour and a half to get one.  God I wish I could duplicate!

Steve Miller
Middletown, DE

Offline JoeyBagadonuts

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 10:12:27 AM »
Chick joined me and a couple friends for dinner earlier this year and he tole us he uses Red Pack tomatoes.  He also agreed that he used Grande Cheese.  Then he said "You aren't planning to open a pizza joint are you?". 

If I could duplicate those pies I wouldn't have to travel an hour and a half to Trenton, Stand on line an hour to get in, and wait another hour to hour and a half to get one.  God I wish I could duplicate!

Steve Miller
Middletown, DE

Steve,

My uncle said the same thing about the RedPack tomatoes. But when he was last there he said he saw a red can, with a black stripe around the middle of the can, and he said something about 6+1 or 6&1. And after doing a few minutes research I came across those Escalon 6-in-1 tomatoes. I showed my uncle and asked if that looked like the can and he said yes. So, I thought we may have figured out what tomatoe they use, but now I am not so sure.

Offline JoeyBagadonuts

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2007, 08:55:08 PM »
Does anyone know what style of pie Delorenzo's is?

and does anyone know what kind of flour they use?

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2007, 09:27:47 PM »
Joey,

I posed some questions to you at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4104.msg44267.html#msg44267 that you appear to have missed, but might help answer some of your questions on pizza type and flour used.

Peter

Offline MTPIZZA

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 10:40:51 AM »
They used to use Maggio cheese  but I think the Maggio family charges a lot now for the product... Yes they use Red Pack but I have seen them in the kitchen in the back mixing two different brands together....

Offline JoeyBagadonuts

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 11:19:55 AM »
They used to use Maggio cheese  but I think the Maggio family charges a lot now for the product... Yes they use Red Pack but I have seen them in the kitchen in the back mixing two different brands together....

Mixing the 2 tomatoes together?" hmmm
I dont know. there seems to be only one tomatoe on the pic.

Offline JoeyBagadonuts

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 11:20:34 AM »
Joey,

I posed some questions to you at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,4104.msg44267.html#msg44267 that you appear to have missed, but might help answer some of your questions on pizza type and flour used.

Peter

Ok, I replied to your post over there.

Offline petef

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2007, 12:38:54 PM »
Delorenzo's on Hudson St. in Chambersburg will be opening up shop in Robbinsville, NJ
When I first heard this, the rumor was that the Hudson St. location was closing down  :'(
After hearing this, I went there and asked if they were moving. And they are not moving, just adding a location.

I called Delorenzo's in October and they said the new location in Robbinsville at
the Foxmoor shopping center would be opening in November. Just the other
day, I drove all around Foxmoor shopping center and I didn't see any Delorenzo
store.

What's the latest news on Delorenzo's new location?

---pete---

Offline JoeyBagadonuts

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2007, 02:25:51 PM »
I called Delorenzo's in October and they said the new location in Robbinsville at
the Foxmoor shopping center would be opening in November. Just the other
day, I drove all around Foxmoor shopping center and I didn't see any Delorenzo
store.

What's the latest news on Delorenzo's new location?

---pete---

I don't know anything at the moment. I went to DeLo's a month or so ago,  but havent really inquired since I dont have plans on driving to Robbinsville...the Hudson St. location is only about 10 minutes from me. Robbinsville would probably take me 30 minutes or so.

Offline creampuff

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2007, 06:59:20 PM »
I don't know anything at the moment. I went to DeLo's a month or so ago,  but havent really inquired since I dont have plans on driving to Robbinsville...the Hudson St. location is only about 10 minutes from me. Robbinsville would probably take me 30 minutes or so.
JoeyBagadonuts
In addition to all the help, advice, and support you receive here for making pizza, have you looked at "Encyclopizza" located on the main page of this site under pizza tools, it's a great place to start...

Creampuff
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 08:04:07 PM by creampuff »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 07:27:44 PM »
Andrea,

I believe you meant to say "Pizza Links" rather than pizza tools.

Peter

Offline creampuff

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »
Andrea,

I believe you meant to say "Pizza Links" rather than pizza tools.

Peter

Dagnabit - I know and then it was too late when I hit send...I tried to modify it, but I guess it didn't take...sorry "pie in my I"

I went back and I think I got it this time...

Offline TomatoPie

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 03:48:18 PM »
Happy New Year!  :pizza:

Hello all, this is my first post. As you see by my userid, I am a nut for tomato pie!!  Delorenzo's was the only place to get it (that I knew of) ...I loved it SO much when I was a kid I used to take the bus from Hamilton to Chambersburg get the delicant pizza from Delorenzo's.

In '95 I moved to Raleigh, N.C. (the crap pizza capital of America)   :'(  I continued to visit regularly to see my parents but also for the tomato pie!  I have not been able to put my finger on whats different besides the obvious tomato placement.  However, the placement of inferior tomato's would conclude an inferior pie so the brand and type of tomatoes must be the secret!

Long story short, since approx 2000 I have been going to Palermo's pizza whenever I go back up to Jersey.  They have three locations, in Ewing, Bordentown, and Roebling, NJ.  I think it is on par if not a bit better than Delorenzo's which IMHO is the defacto standard.

- RJ Snyder

Offline creampuff

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 08:56:07 PM »
Happy New Year!  :pizza:

Hello all, this is my first post. As you see by my userid, I am a nut for tomato pie!!  Delorenzo's was the only place to get it (that I knew of) ...I loved it SO much when I was a kid I used to take the bus from Hamilton to Chambersburg get the delicant pizza from Delorenzo's.

In '95 I moved to Raleigh, N.C. (the crap pizza capital of America)   :'(  I continued to visit regularly to see my parents but also for the tomato pie!  I have not been able to put my finger on whats different besides the obvious tomato placement.  However, the placement of inferior tomato's would conclude an inferior pie so the brand and type of tomatoes must be the secret!

Long story short, since approx 2000 I have been going to Palermo's pizza whenever I go back up to Jersey.  They have three locations, in Ewing, Bordentown, and Roebling, NJ.  I think it is on par if not a bit better than Delorenzo's which IMHO is the defacto standard.

- RJ Snyder

Hi Snyder,  Sorry to disappoint ya, but, I am a Jersey Gal living in NW- AR and working on getting my own shop together. That being said "Raleigh, N.C. (the crap pizza capital of America) U say!!! NOT, it's right here in NWA!!! and I am hoping to change that:)

Hey, Enjoy that PIE back in Jersey... I sure do when I get back there.

Offline petef

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2008, 02:28:10 AM »
Update: Delorenzo's new restaurant now open on Route 33 in Robbinsville NJ
See their website for hours, directions, and other details
http://www.delorenzostomatopies.com/

Below are some pics of a large tomato pie I purchased to go

---pete---

Offline JoeyBagadonuts

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2008, 12:54:49 PM »
Anyone know how I can make  dough that will produce that crust on the pie in the pics above?

Offline anton-luigi

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2008, 03:49:48 PM »
My crusts are coming out just like that, although the bottom is darker than mine have come out.   I am using the Ischia sourdough starter,  a cold ferment of approximately 3 days,  baking on a pampered chef stone on the bottom rack of a 550 degree electric oven for 8 minutes,  using the following formulation.

Flour is King Arthur Bread flour,  Fleischman's IDY, Sicilian fine sea salt.  I am following Jeff Varasano's autolyse, and wet kneading process where I add 75% of my flour, 100% of the salt, yeast and water and allow it to sit in the bowl covered for 20 minutes.  Then knead with a hook for 5 minutes, before adding the remaining 25% of the flour for the last 3 minutes of the knead. 

Total Formula:
Flour (100%):    764.07 g  |  26.95 oz | 1.68 lbs
Water (62%):    473.72 g  |  16.71 oz | 1.04 lbs
Salt (2%):    15.28 g | 0.54 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.74 tsp | 0.91 tbsp
IDY (.2%):    1.53 g | 0.05 oz | 0 lbs | 0.51 tsp | 0.17 tbsp
Total (164.2%):   1254.6 g | 44.25 oz | 2.77 lbs | TF = N/A
Single Ball:   418.2 g | 14.75 oz | 0.92 lbs

Preferment:
Flour:    188.19 g | 6.64 oz | 0.41 lbs
Water:    188.19 g | 6.64 oz | 0.41 lbs
Total:    376.38 g | 13.28 oz | 0.83 lbs

Final Dough: