Author Topic: New Brooklyn Pizzeria: Motorino  (Read 1827 times)

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
New Brooklyn Pizzeria: Motorino
« on: December 02, 2008, 04:20:34 PM »
According to a recent report at http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601093&sid=aE5uLkCdRYj8&refer=home, there is an interesting new pizzeria, called Motorino, in Brooklyn. I have excerpted the relevant part of the article.

Cheap Pizza

Great pizza makers have attitude.

Mathieu Palombino, the chef and owner of Brooklynís newly opened Motorino in Williamsburg, says heís ďat the levelĒ of Una Pizza Napoletana, regarded by some as the maker of the cityís best Neapolitan pies.

Thatís a big statement, considering Palombino used to work at BLT Fish and Bouley. Neither fancy venue serves pizza.

And based on my analysis, 31-year-old Palombino is dead wrong.

His pizza is much better than Unaís. A recent trip to Una yielded a uniformly soggy Margherita, with almost no discernible tomato.

Try Motorinoís version ($10): house-made mozzarella, fresh tomatoes, basil. The pieís center is gently soupy. Things get crispier closer toward the crust, which is bubbly and soft. The tomatoes are pink, with just a hint of acid. It passes the heartburn test -- you can drink red wine with it and not risk indigestion. Flakes of pecorino add stinkiness.

For something crunchier, try the prosciutto pie. No sauce weighs down the crust. Just Italian ham cut so thin you can see through it. Olive oil adds a fresh vibrancy.

Real Deal

For something meatier, try the spicy sopressata pie. It tastes like pepperoni. Still need more meat? Get a skewer of creamy sweetbreads, heady lamb, spicy sausage and bacon.

The 65-seat venue is crowded. Pizza this good will attract Manhattanites. Itís just a few stops from Union Square off the L train. A wood-fired oven warms the room. It crisps pies in minutes. Hickory fills the room with sweet smoke.

It may be Brooklyn, but it smells like Vermont.

Motorino is at 319 Graham Ave., Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Information: +1-718-599-8899; http://www.motorinopizza.com.

Offline The Slice

Re: New Brooklyn Pizzeria: Motorino
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 09:42:02 PM »
Could be ROY?  he he   
I wish I lived near there to give it a try.. At the price hes selling, if its even halfway good he will do well. Hopefully the overhead will not overwelm the place. I hate finding a good pizzeria only to have them go out because of overhead.