Author Topic: Wooden Peel Suggestions?  (Read 3414 times)

Offline zalicious

Wooden Peel Suggestions?
« on: November 20, 2008, 10:31:37 PM »
I've been looking at wood pizza peels on line, but there are so many to choose from. Anyone have a favorite brand? I'm looking to buy an 18" one.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Wooden Peel Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 10:53:24 PM »
Jeanette,

There are many sources of wooden peels, but I personally would look at the peels made by American Metalcraft. They are sold by most restaurant supply places, both online and brick-and-mortar. To preview the AM peels, see http://www.amnow.com/pizzaSupplies/peels.html. The prices at the restaurant supply places are lower (by about 25%-33%) than the prices quoted at the AM website.

Peter
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 10:55:12 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline zalicious

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 11:03:47 PM »
Thanks, Peter :). That is the brand I was leaning towards. Now I feel OK about plunking my money down on one.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 11:06:11 PM »
Jeanette,

I forgot to mention that wooden peels come with different handle lengths. So, you should keep that in mind as you look for the peel that will work best for you.

Peter

Offline zalicious

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 11:16:48 PM »
I was looking at the 18x18 with a 24" handle. Would that be too unwieldy for home kitchen use? My stone is on the bottom rack of my oven.

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 11:26:39 PM »
Jeanette,

I have a 20" x 20" AM peel with a 20" handle. Because of space limitations, it would be difficult for me to use a peel with a longer handle.

Peter

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 11:53:01 PM »
Zalicious,

I have two AM peels, one metal, one wood. Both are perfect for me. I can only recommend them.

Peter,

Speaking of space constraints in the kitchen...

I have always wondered why the American kitchens are designed so small? Unless you've designed & built your own house, that is. But even when the building/house was built in the 60's, and cooking was still considered "in".

Well, at least in most places here in California. I don't know about the east Coast or the South.

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline zalicious

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 10:20:18 AM »
Thanks guys, there are 2 restaurant supply houses in town; if I can't get them there, I will hunt them down on-line :D.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 11:10:18 AM »
Me too on the Allied. I have2 also  1 metal 14"?head 36" handle, and 1 all wood 40" handle 14" head?
These are for the brick oven where if you value the hair on your arms you don't get any where close to going in there without a glove. Inside I only use wood 16 inchers with a short handle with no problems.
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 01:22:18 AM »
Actually the JR peels are nicer than the AM peels. At least, they are finished MUCH better. They are are very nice and better than my AM peels. I did just order an AM aluminum peel though for rotating and removing the pies.

Offline zalicious

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 09:45:57 AM »
JR peel? What brand is that?

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 10:14:19 AM »
JR peel? What brand is that?

Jeanette,

JR stands for Johnson Rose. I looked at their product listings for peels at the JR website, at http://www.johnsonrose.net/view_products.asp?cat=PIZZ|PIZU, and there appears to be a 16" x 16" peel, but the handle lengths are 36" and 46", which you should keep in mind.

Peter

Offline zalicious

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 10:23:18 AM »
Thanks, Peter :)

Offline JJ

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2009, 03:00:42 PM »
Just cut the handle down to the size you want,sand the edges.I drilled a small hole at the end of the handle,added a small piece of string so I can hang it. :chef:
Chicago's southwest side close to Home Run Inn,Palermo's 63rd,Vito & Nick's,Giordano's & Obbie's!

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2009, 04:50:07 PM »
Just cut the handle down to the size you want,sand the edges.I drilled a small hole at the end of the handle,added a small piece of string so I can hang it. :chef:

JJ,

It may be possible to do as you suggest in some cases, but I read once somewhere that cutting the handle to get it down to a better length can throw off the balance of the peel and possibly cause a mishap in loading a pizza into the oven.

Peter

pizzapan