Author Topic: Anyone remember Noble Roman's?  (Read 3390 times)

Offline aks801

Anyone remember Noble Roman's?
« on: November 06, 2008, 10:52:24 AM »
In high school I worked at a place called Noble Roman's.  This was back in '78 and '79.  Beside having a nice sandwich board, their 2 styles of pizza were quite good.  The thin crust pizza was conventional, and the dough was hand-tossed (that was fun to learn!).  The Sicilian-style is what I especially remember.  I never was involved in the dough preparation, but I know they would put the dough ball into the pan then stack them to let it rise for a day or so (I guess).  When it came time to make the pizza, we'd press the dough down and out to fill out all 4 corners.

The cheese went directly onto the dough, as opposed to putting the sauce on first, and that was what I thought was so good about it.  After the cheese and the toppings, we'd put dollops of the sauce on top.  The smaller sized pan pizza would get two rows of 3 "dots" each.  So when you were eating the pizza, you could have as much sauce as you wanted.  You could spead it all out on top, spoon some off, or just get all the sauce for that slice in just 2 or 3 bites.  It was really wonderful pizza.

It started going downhill when one day they called an employee meeting to show us the "new cheese".  Yep, fake cheese.  Sorry, not as good, and the customers picked up on it.  It closed eventually.

I am brand new to endeavoring to make high quality pizza at home, but the first thing I want to try is to make this style of pizza.  Besides experimenting with the dough, finding good pans will be key.  I've seen other posts on that subject, and I have a few sources I'll try as well.  Should be fun!

By the way, I've only read a few posts here, but the information on dough-making is astonishingly detailed and scientific!
alan in Katy, TX

"Meet the new boss.  Same as the old boss."
 - Pete Townshend

Offline aks801

Re: Anyone remember Noble Roman's?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 08:37:42 AM »
Well, apparently they are still in existence, and possible even a publicly traded company.  Regardless, looking at their website, it doesn't look like they make that same style of Sicilian pizza any longer.
alan in Katy, TX

"Meet the new boss.  Same as the old boss."
 - Pete Townshend

pizzapan