Author Topic: Ray's Sicilian  (Read 3040 times)

Offline Tony Pizzeria

Ray's Sicilian
« on: November 21, 2008, 10:22:54 AM »
Hi Guys
Wondering if anyone ever tried cloning Rays Sicilian? ???
CIAO BABY

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
Re: Ray's Sicilian
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 11:57:16 AM »
Which Ray's. Original, Famous, or Famous Original?

Offline Tony Pizzeria

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 12:19:13 PM »
Which Ray's. Original, Famous, or Famous Original?
Ray's Original they also have a few joints in Phoenix
CIAO BABY

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 01:15:00 PM »
I thought you were talking about Ray's in New York. There's is hundreds of them and they all claim to be the original. That's the reason for my sarcasm. Ray's Pizza, Original Ray's Pizza, Famous Original Ray's Pizza etc.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 01:17:58 PM by tdeane »

Offline Tony Pizzeria

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 01:35:22 PM »
I thought you were talking about Ray's in New York. There's is hundreds of them and they all claim to be the original. That's the reason for my sarcasm. Ray's Pizza, Original Ray's Pizza, Famous Original Ray's Pizza etc.

NP Man!  Maybe I wasn't clear, sorry I do mean Rays original in NY but they also opened in Phoenix over 30 years ago and sent some of the workers here. They have 2 or 3 joints here, at one time they had GREAT Sicilian, but I haven't been there in years. Anyway if you have a clone I would appreciate it.
Ciao :chef:
CIAO BABY

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 02:31:40 PM »
Wikipedia says that as of 2007, there were 34 pizzerias in NYC using some variant of the name "Ray's", based on a telephone directory search. A few years ago, I did a similar search and found 47 entries. As of that time, these were the names and numbers: Famous Original Rays Pizza (12 locations), Original Ray’s Pizza (4), Ray’s Pizza (13), RayBari Pizza (5), World Famous Ray’s Pizza (4), Famous Rays of Greenwich Village (1), Original Rays Pizza (1), Ray’s Original Pizza (1), Best Ray Pizza (1), Ray’s Pizza Restaurant (1), Rays Pizza (1), Ray’s Pizza and Bagel Café (1), New York Rays Pizza (1), and Ray Bono Pizza (1). There was once (but apparently no more) a place in Brooklyn called “No Ray’s”.

I believe that the Ray's in the Phoenix area are/were affiliated with one of the NYC Ray's. However, the one in Scottsdale is no longer a licensee. I visited the Scottsdale Ray's store with my son about a year ago and started up a conversation with the manager about the relationship with the NYC Ray's. He told me that they had gotten a divorce. When I pressed him for details on what brought about the divorce, he said that, like a real divorce, he did not want to talk about it. He ultimately loosened up when we got to talking about pizza and we had a nice chat. I guessed correctly about the ingredients used in their NY slices, and how the pizzas were made, but we did not get to talk about a Sicilian style. It was quite funny because I had a hard time convincing the manager that I was not in the business (and never was) and that I was not trying to get information out of him to reverse engineer his pizzas. To convince him that my interest was purely a hobby, I gave him the forum's URL and my forum name.

Peter

Offline Art

• la pizza è la mia vita!!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 02:48:26 PM »
..........There was once (but apparently no more) a place in Brooklyn called “No Ray’s”........

Peter

It's called Not Ray's Pizzeria at 690 Fulton St Brooklyn, NY 11217
When baking, follow directions.  When cooking, go by your own taste.

Offline Tony Pizzeria

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 02:52:24 PM »
Thanks for the input Peter as always your help is appreciated. So I guess no-one has clone of the Original Rays Sicilian ???. I may give SD Girls and Jerry Mac's a try.
Thanks all
CIAO BABY

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 03:15:53 PM »
It's called Not Ray's Pizzeria at 690 Fulton St Brooklyn, NY 11217

Art,

I updated the search, and there are now around 50-52 pizza places listed in the NYC yellow pages with the name "Ray", including a couple of places that may be corporate facilities that do not also make pizza. I found the "Not Rays Pizzeria" you mentioned, and another similar "no-Ray's": Not Ray S Nick's S Pizza Inc.

Famous Original Ray's Pizza tops the list, with 19 stores, followed by Ray's Pizza with 9 stores and Ray Bari Pizza with 7-9 stores. Most of the rest of the "Rays/Ray's" have one or two stores.

Peter

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 09:41:35 PM »
A lot of places must have closed because when I lived in New York 1993-2000, there were a lot more than 34 or 47 Ray's pizza's. To be honest, I never really cared for any of them.

Offline zalicious

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2008, 07:27:12 PM »
007bond-jb has a nice recipe, as well.

pizzapan