Author Topic: So I stuck my head in Varasano's this AM  (Read 9437 times)

Offline JimR

So I stuck my head in Varasano's this AM
« on: November 21, 2008, 10:26:14 AM »
Didn't know whether to post here, in Pizza News, or in Restaurant Reviews, and settled on here. I hope this isn't too off-topic for here.

I was in the area, and had previously identified the building / exact location from news reports here and elsewhere. The place is definitely a construction site, but the major utilities looked to be pretty much done (HVAC, plumbing rough-ins and underground, electrical rough-ins), and it's getting to the point where it'll be mostly finishes, which goes pretty quickly unless there's a whole lot of detailed millwork, which I doubt. The space is at ground level in a new high-rise residential structure, and has tall ceilings and glass looking out onto Peachtree, so it ought to be quite nice once finished.

It's a great location, right on Peachtree (THE Peachtree, not one of the 487 imitators) in a very upscale area, across the street from the premiere Houstons, near Benihana and Whole Foods and the Peachtree Battle Shopping Center, for any familiar with this area (South Buckhead).

I chatted with Mike, who is Jeff's operations manager, and who was there checking on /working with the contractors. They're shooting for an early January opening, which seems do-able. He gave me some details on the oven, which I'll keep mum on, since I don't think Jeff has revealed them here. I wouldn't want to spoil his fun, if he hasn't.

I can't wait for that place to open.

Regards,

JimR

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
Re: So I stuck my head in Varasano's this AM
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 07:59:55 PM »
What City is this going to be in?Best wishes and luck to Jeff and his restaurant!
 8)
-Bill

Offline JimR

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 07:10:20 PM »
What City is this going to be in?

Jeff is in Atlanta.

If you haven't seen his page, you should.

varasanos dot com

Not linked, I don't think I can post links yet, still don't have enough posts.

Worth taking a look at for his recipe page, for sure.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 09:59:02 PM »
Thanks!
 :)
Yes I have his Pizza website bookmarked,Ive had it for a long while.I just bookmarked the new link for his restaurant.

Like him,Im from NY and spoiled on real pizza.Later,moved south to KY and the pizza abominations down here are really bad.When I found his website some time back,it hit home.I even had the chance to eat at some of the places he was giving ratings for.I hope his restaurant has the biggest success.If I ever head to Atlanta,Im gonna go eat there for sure if the place is open.

8)

« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 10:01:08 PM by chickenparm »
-Bill

Offline s00da

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 04:53:10 AM »
I got infected with the good pizza virus during the time I stayed in the US. I went back home (8000 miles away) to live with franchise-style pizza being the standard and what the majority considered as real pizza. I began my quest to make my own real pizza just 3 months ago but when I reached Jeff's recipe page, it really saved me lots of time.

Jeff has really put lots of information in that page. The type of information that makes you learn pizza making out of instinct and not numbers and steps. I wish him all the best of success, he deserves it.

Below is a pic of my #10 pizza-making attempt, I hope it's up to the standards of being posted!

Offline Vlap

• PetMarkersUSA
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 02:11:28 PM »
JimR. Thanks for that Varasano's link. Some incredible looking pizza he is making!

Offline jimd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 03:47:44 PM »
Heading to Atlanta the first week of February---any word on how Jeff Varasano's place is coming along? I would love to swing by and take a look---if he is open, all the  better.

Thanks ,

Jim

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 03:58:30 PM »
sOOda ,
Standards ? You've got a great product there! Thats only #10?  If thats not worthy of a post nothing is. Great Job! Keep em coming
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline jjerrier2450

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 06:23:29 PM »
Jeff said he expects to open in Feb - but is begging everyone to give him a month to work out the kinks :)

Offline jimd

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 10:22:25 AM »
Thanks for providing the update. I will just need to go back in the Spring.

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 12:28:44 PM »
http://www.varasanos.com/Index.htm

I've read elsewhere that he is going to be making "real NY style" pies. (what's that,no more Nigerians outside Rays openening up briefcases full of the fake NY Pizza now?)
To avoid more confusion ,maybe this thread should be moved off the Neapolitan Style board if that proves to be the case?The way he has set up his personal ratings has always seemed very confusing to me,lumping in together different styles of pizza and cooking methods.The top two places (Johnny's & Luzzos ) are like night and day and neither IMO are particularly outstanding in their own style.Johnny's was downright distasteful compared to my expectations !
But that's just my personal opinion.I'm looking forward to seeing and trying the final product that he has chosen to produce for Atlanta (I would presume it to be what he considers "his personal best" and not necessarily a clone of any other in particular ?) next month.
I'll try not to read any Ed Levine reviews before I go  ;)
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline scpizza

• Demystifying Neapolitan Pizza
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 01:03:12 PM »
Agreed.  Jeff has intentionally departed from Neapolitan style.  His aim is instead to make a pizza with immediate mass appeal - i.e. tastes and textures already familiar to the average American.  This essentially means NY style pizza.  Maybe with some Neapolitan influences, like Luzzo's.

Offline Mad_Ernie

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 02:22:45 PM »
David,
Although it's certainly possible Jeff has decided to steer away from Neopolitan pizza, depending on the source you read that from, I would not count that style of pie out of the picture yet.  Reporters can be very good at getting their facts disoriented and just plain wrong.  Unless it was  direct quote from Jeff V himself, I'd wait until the place opens to make the final judgement as to what type of pizza he is truly making.
Let them eat pizza.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 02:44:59 PM »

I've read elsewhere that he is going to be making "real NY style" pies. (what's that,no more Nigerians outside Rays openening up briefcases full of the fake NY Pizza now?)

I'll try not to read any Ed Levine reviews before I go  ;)

That's gold Jerry-gold!   :-D
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 03:57:11 PM »
"To avoid more confusion ,maybe this thread should be moved off the Neapolitan Style board if that proves to be the case?"

Sorry ,I thought I was clear in my comments.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 03:58:44 PM by David »
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2009, 04:38:07 PM »
David,

I originally thought to move this thread to the Pizza News board since the Neapolitan board is supposed to deal with the preparation of Neapolitan style pizzas. However, sometimes threads evolve to the point where the reason for moving it disappears. In this case, it was also possible that there would be reviews of Jeff's new restaurant, which would suggest that the thread be moved to the Restaurant reviews board. Ultimately, we try as Moderators to get the threads in the right place, for the sake of keeping the indexing system intact.

Peter

Offline JimR

OK, was back down that way this AM.
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 12:15:21 PM »
They're all but done. The guys that were there working said that are shooting to get their occupancy permit next week. With the City of Atlanta, whether that happens or not is a crapshoot, but hopefully they will get it.

Mid month soft opening maybe?

The pizza oven was there and in place. Pretty interesting beastie.

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2009, 12:24:19 PM »
I'll probably be in Atlanta next week, and was hoping to try this place.
Alas it looks like it's not in the cards now.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Online Matthew

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2009, 01:16:49 PM »
I got infected with the good pizza virus during the time I stayed in the US. I went back home (8000 miles away) to live with franchise-style pizza being the standard and what the majority considered as real pizza. I began my quest to make my own real pizza just 3 months ago but when I reached Jeff's recipe page, it really saved me lots of time.

Jeff has really put lots of information in that page. The type of information that makes you learn pizza making out of instinct and not numbers and steps. I wish him all the best of success, he deserves it.

Below is a pic of my #10 pizza-making attempt, I hope it's up to the standards of being posted!

S00da,

Great looking pizza, what type of oven are you using?  How's the Ischia doing?  My dough is presently fermenting, it's been 24 hours at 60 deg, I'm thinking of pulling it out & doing another 24 hour bulk at room temp.

Matt

Offline s00da

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2009, 04:09:55 AM »
Matt,

Check this for your question about the oven http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7465.msg64428.html#msg64428

I got discouraged using the Ischia after I tried it on a sourdough bread but it seems that others on the forum are suggesting the flavor would be different when used in pizza specially in low percentages. The bread I made used 22% where as for a pizza I would typically use less than 5%. So I guess I will give it a shot.

I still haven't decided how I'm gonna use it because I only made dough that was fermented in the fridge for 72 hours while I see most members using the Ischia for room temperature fermentation. I might try both methods I guess and see the results for myself.

Please let us know how your pizzas come out  :D

s00da