Author Topic: So I stuck my head in Varasano's this AM  (Read 9371 times)

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
Re: OK, was back down that way this AM.
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 09:44:35 PM »
The pizza oven was there and in place. Pretty interesting beastie.

http://www.pizzamaster.com/products.html

Swedish electric oven,I believe,possibly the same as used by the U.K. chain Pizza Express?

You can see some practice photo shots of Varasano's  here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49637895@N00/sets/72157614866589264/with/3365905506/
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline David

• What’s So Funny ‘Bout Pizza Love and Understanding
If you're looking for a date... go to the Supermarket.If you're looking for a wife....go to the Farmers market

Offline Matthew

Re: So I stuck my head in Varasano's this AM
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2009, 07:04:38 AM »
and here.......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49637895@N00/sets/72157614018076500/

Interesting.  Definitely more like NY style than before, looks like he is also using a lower bake temp.

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2009, 07:08:23 AM »
the place looks very nice !
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline s00da

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2009, 02:55:14 PM »
Interesting.  Definitely more like NY style than before, looks like he is also using a lower bake temp.

I notice that also so I emailed the company asking about the oven's temperatures they produce and this is what I got:"Our modular ovens (700 and 800 series) have as standard a maximum temperature limit at 752 F.

They are also available in a 932 F version.

Our Counter Top ovens (350, 400 and 450 series) have as standard a maximum temperature limit at 662 F.

They are also available in a 752 F and a 932 F version.

All our ovens are tested at 1436 F when we approve our ovens for CE and CB approvals."

Offline PizzaHog

• Heat matters!
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2009, 03:42:15 PM »

Hmmm...
I notice the second to last photo in the one series is titled "Verasano's 2 1/2 minute pizza".  So I wonder..

Offline Matthew

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2009, 04:20:26 PM »
I notice that also so I emailed the company asking about the oven's temperatures they produce and this is what I got:"Our modular ovens (700 and 800 series) have as standard a maximum temperature limit at 752 F.

They are also available in a 932 F version.

Our Counter Top ovens (350, 400 and 450 series) have as standard a maximum temperature limit at 662 F.

They are also available in a 752 F and a 932 F version.

All our ovens are tested at 1436 F when we approve our ovens for CE and CB approvals."

I wonder which one he has?  One of the photos shows him baking with an oven temp of 340C.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 04:22:12 PM by Matthew »

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2009, 05:12:37 PM »
From the couple of photos that you can see the bottom of the pizzas, they appear to have very little char.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 05:31:32 PM by tdeane »

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2009, 05:12:54 PM »
thats not bad for a NY style (the Temp). is that the deck temp ?
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline Matthew

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2009, 05:53:59 PM »
thats not bad for a NY style (the Temp). is that the deck temp ?

My guess is that it's the air temp.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2009, 11:40:02 AM »
Guys, Jeff is still playing around with oven temps and his recipe, and I have a feeling he will still be experimenting right up to the day he opens. Its just in his nature to think outside the box and really come up with his own creation and style. I hope he doesn't mind me saying this, but as of last week he was definitely steering away from faster neapolitan bakes, or even a 2.5 min bake, and hanging right in the range of a great high end NY coal oven pizza. Interestingly a trip to Naples made him realize that he did not like fast baked pizza, or that he would conform to some of the things that define that style like a fork mixer and a wood burning oven. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 11:42:01 AM by scott r »

Offline Mo

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2009, 12:29:50 PM »
What else is he doing beside pizzas? In a couple of those photos it looks like he's got a decent sized kitchen going on with sauce pans/sauté pans etc..Also, nobody seems to be commenting on the pies. Not to judge the book too much by the cover, but the couple photos of his pies there don't look like much special...just me. Or maybe the photos don't do it justice. Or maybe he's still testing. Or maybe it looks like crap but tastes Awesome. Or maybe....

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2009, 12:31:07 PM »
hes just getting used to the oven and testing.  the pizza will be really good!

Pizza will of course be the focal point and make up the bulk of the menu, but there is a full menu including salads and deserts.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 12:33:24 PM by scott r »

Offline jjerrier2450

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2009, 11:03:44 PM »
I'm sure the pizzas will be incredible - anyone who has spent any time reading his recipe page knows he is obsessed with the minutia of pizza.  It will take time from baking onesie - twosies in his home oven to mass production in a commercial oven, but I'm sure he'll knock it out of the park.  He is probably smarter leaning towards a NY style as that is what the public wants and will pay for.  Food critics love authentic Neapolitan pizza - but only a handful of the paying public get it.

But more importantly...what is up with those elbow length mittens??  :) Pizzaiolos need to realize that they will have no hair on their forearms!

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2009, 12:22:31 AM »
I'm sure the pizzas will be incredible - anyone who has spent any time reading his recipe page knows he is obsessed with the minutia of pizza.  It will take time from baking onesie - twosies in his home oven to mass production in a commercial oven, but I'm sure he'll knock it out of the park.  He is probably smarter leaning towards a NY style as that is what the public wants and will pay for.  Food critics love authentic Neapolitan pizza - but only a handful of the paying public get it.

But more importantly...what is up with those elbow length mittens??  :) Pizzaiolos need to realize that they will have no hair on their forearms!
I didn't want to say anything about the mittens but come on, be a man! ;) I already have no feeling in my hands and can pull pizzas out barehanded.

Offline sourdough girl

• First the bread, NOW the pizza dough!
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2009, 01:54:38 AM »
I didn't want to say anything about the mittens but come on, be a man! ;) I already have no feeling in my hands and can pull pizzas out barehanded.

My husband has teased me for years about having what he calls "deli fingers"... impervious to the heat of the oven and pulling hot pans out of the oven.  He learned early on not to fall for me saying, "here, take this"!!  It's true,  your hands  build up a tolerance for the heat... and I would have thought that Jeff would have "pizza fingers" by now from working with his "cleaning cycle" home oven heat.  So, I also wish him all the luck.... but I also wonder about those gloves!

~sd
Never trust a skinny cook!

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2009, 02:29:44 AM »
From what I've seen, given the pics Jeff's posted, he has always worn gloves.

You gotta understand that this man's income relies on his hands, being a computer programmer. If they are damaged, then what? On the other hand, the peel he uses has a sliding handle...which protects against high heat.

Either way, I do wish Jeff the best of  luck and hopeful he will succeed.

I see he's got already a fan base going on Facebook before he even opened his place. That's good marketing!  :chef:

Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

http://thehobbycook.blogspot.com/

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2009, 02:31:01 AM »
I didn't want to say anything about the mittens but come on, be a man!

Why not?
Mike

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."  - Albert Einstein

Offline tdeane

• Pizzeria Barbarella
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2009, 03:21:59 AM »
From what I've seen, given the pics Jeff's posted, he has always worn gloves.

You gotta understand that this man's income relies on his hands, being a computer programmer. If they are damaged, then what? On the other hand, the peel he uses has a sliding handle...which protects against high heat.

Either way, I do wish Jeff the best of  luck and hopeful he will succeed.

I see he's got already a fan base going on Facebook before he even opened his place. That's good marketing!  :chef:

I am, or I guess I was a jazz saxophonist. Who needs their hands more than that?

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
    • The Hobby Cook
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2009, 04:25:24 AM »
Dude,

I was a professional guitarist...hands and fingers were extremely important. At least when you were make a living with them. However, that was a different time.
Mike