Author Topic: Redpack Concentrated Crushed Tomatoes  (Read 3241 times)

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza & Sex -- Good? Great! Bad? Still okay.
    • My Pizza Gallery
Redpack Concentrated Crushed Tomatoes
« on: April 22, 2008, 06:22:23 PM »
I just got my hands on a can of these.  Haven't opened it yet (it's a big 105-oz can, so I need to be serious about making sauce when I take the plunge).  Anybody ever used this particular product?  Any good?  Am I gonna need to thin it resulting in 2 gallons of pizza sauce?  Any insight would be appreciated.

-- GB  :pizza:
Quote under my pic excludes Little Caesar's.

Offline JimmyMak

Re: Redpack Concentrated Crushed Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 06:54:10 PM »
Was a favorite, but have moved on. My taste keeps changing

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008, 09:07:12 PM »
What are the details, JimmyMak?  Did you need to thin them or did they go on straight?  ???

Offline JimmyMak

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 06:35:54 PM »
Don't thin them, just put in a blender & pulse them to break up chunks. You may like them like they are. They taste a little like san marzano tomatoes on the sweet side. I still use them on occasion.

Offline Glutenboy

• Supporting Member
    • My Pizza Gallery
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 07:00:15 PM »
They're next in line.  Thanks.

Offline Rock808

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 01:27:23 AM »
I just used Redpack crushed to make a pizza sauce. I sauteed 2 cloves of garlic, added 1/4 tsp of italian seasoning, 1/4 tsp of oregano, 1/4 tsp of table salt, 1/3 tsp of sugar, 2 tbls of white wine, 1/4 tsp of hot pepper flakes and a couple shakes of dried basil. I simmered it for about 15 min just to combine it and then put it all in the fridge for about a couple hours before use. I then pureed it for 30 second in a blender.

The sauce was a nice consistency, thick but not overly so. The taste was very sweet, in fact a little too sweet for my taste. I prefer more of a savory/salty tomato flavor. This was only the second pizza sauce I've ever made. The first time I followed basically the same recipe but instead use the "fake" U.S. variety of crushed San Marzanos (the label just says "san marzano" and nothing else). I actually preferred the fake San Marzanos (as did my family) over Redpack although they were over twice the price (I got a 28oz red pack for $1). I look forward to experimenting with various brands.

pizzapan