Author Topic: What is a "cutter pan"?  (Read 7024 times)

Offline aks801

What is a "cutter pan"?
« on: November 22, 2008, 02:04:33 PM »
It seems to be essential to the baking of a thin thin crust pizza, but I'm not sure what kind of pan it is.  If I didn't have one, could the pizza be cooked directly on a stone?
alan in Katy, TX

"Meet the new boss.  Same as the old boss."
 - Pete Townshend

Offline aks801

Re: What is a "cutter pan"?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 02:41:26 PM »
Ok, I looked in the glossary and read about it, then found some at pizzatools.

Still wondering if the pan is essential to making a cracker crust.
alan in Katy, TX

- Pete Townshend

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 03:24:04 PM »
Still wondering if the pan is essential to making a cracker crust.

Alan,

No, you don't need a cutter pan to make a cracker style pizza. You can use a pizza stone instead. An example of a pizza baked on a pizza stone is at Reply 138 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5762.msg53443.html#msg53443. In the case noted, I used the stone to pre-bake the crust before dressing the pizza and finishing baking the pizza, but there are members such as fazzari (John) who bakes directly on the stone (at home and at his pizza restaurant) without pre-baking the crusts. If you look at this thread in general, http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5762.0.html, you will see many techniques used to bake cracker-style pizzas. In fact, in one instance, described at Reply 126 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,5762.msg53174.html#msg53174, I didn't even use a stone, just some aluminum foil.

Peter
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 06:08:47 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline BTB

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 10:22:02 AM »
For all kinds of thin crust and other cracker crust style pizzas, I am a real big fan of using a dark, anodized nonperforated cutter pan from pizzatools.com, as Peter is well aware.  I previously used pizza stones and screens and nothing comes close to the effectiveness and results of using the cutter pan for thin crust pizzas, at least in my estimation.  I love pizzas made in the old fashion deck type ovens, as opposed to the conveyor and convection types, and think for home use, the cutter pan is the closest thing to duplicating the baking effect in a deck type oven that one can do at home.  My cutter pan (pictured below when I first got it a year ago) is a 14", which I think is a good size to have.  Worth every bit I paid for it.  And after I received it and used it many times, my pizza stones and screens have been collecting a lot of dust as I don't hardly use them anymore as I do the cutter pan.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 02:14:15 PM »
BTB,

I deemphasized the cutter pan in my last response because I believe that Alan is considering opening a pizzeria at some point, in which case he might be using either a deck oven or an air impingement conveyor oven where the pizzas would be baked in one pass (that is, without a pre-bake). In a home setting, I agree with you that a cutter pan is convenient and hard to beat.

Peter

Offline aks801

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 04:30:24 PM »
Thanks for the info!  Pete, any pizza joint endeavors would be at least a few years from now (if at all), so for right now I'm just looking at home-cooking methods.  Will definitely get a cutter pan, and see how I like it.  While I'm at it, I'll probably try and score a nice steel pan from pizzatools to use with my Sicilian attempts.  My non-stick aluminum pan is "ok" for now, but the dark steel would be best.
alan in Katy, TX

- Pete Townshend

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 04:41:40 PM »
While I'm at it, I'll probably try and score a nice steel pan from pizzatools to use with my Sicilian attempts.

Alan,

As you will see from http://www.pizzatools.com/SearchByCategory.aspx?CategoryCode=158000, pizzatools.com does not sell steel Sicilian style pans, only aluminum. For steel Sicilian style pans, you may want to take a look at this thread and referenced links: http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,7417.msg63867.html#msg63867.

Peter

Offline aks801

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 05:15:25 PM »
Oh, that's right Pete!  Forgot that reference to Allied, but had seen it before.  Sure don't mind going to multiple sources, though, to get the best of the best!
alan in Katy, TX

- Pete Townshend

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 09:25:26 PM »
AKS801,
Now that I have  received my pizzatools.com 14" cutter pan I can comment on the item. I think the pstk may work well, but I prefer the allied pans with the black buster finish. I think they are darker and a heavier gauge. No sticking issues with either, but I like the heaviness of the allied. Here a smaller asllied cutter pan in use. The scrap leftover ring is shown and ,the pan is full of dough ready for par baking. very heavy duty
John
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 09:29:34 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 12:41:07 PM »
John,

A new member recently said that he was looking for a steel cutter pan. I noticed in your last post that you have a small "cutter pan" from Allied. However, when I looked at all of the tapered pans at Allied, at http://www.alliedmetalusa.com/catalog.cfm/ses_/c,list,x,1,60,x/ses_thispage/ses_thispage/ses_thispage/1/, I did not see any mention of cutter pans. All of the tapered pans that use the nonstick Black Buster coating, which your pan uses, or the pans that use the dark anodized coating appear to be aluminum pans with rolled edges, not sharp edges that characterize cutter pans (see the Pizza Glossary at http://www.pizzamaking.com/pizza_glossary.html#C for a definition). Did I miss something somewhere and, if so, can you point me to the Allied cutter pans?

Peter

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 08:50:59 PM »
Yes Peter,
The small 10 " pan I have Is an "Allied metals Spinning" its stamped on back just checked, Thought it was  Black Buster coating? Looks exactly like the BTB pn posted on this thread maybe I cn ask him where he got that. Allied does not call them Cutter pans they call them Tapered pans. Maybe it is not Black Buster? The 2- 9Inch X 1.5" deep dish from Allied definitely are black buster ,they came with the directions for the Black buster, nd re classic deep dish metal pans. I do not want to mislead anyone as to blackbuster cutter pans,(sure looks and feels the same as the deep dish) so I will reach out for them or go to where I got them and ask. They (chefs warehouse) sell so much other stuff beyond pans, they are not too knowledgeable on the allied pans. but I can get what I want if I give them the product #, I must say the pstk is really nice but I really do prefer the darker black and 14 Gauge Allied Pans
John
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 08:52:32 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com